Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Latest reminding revelation came last night as i studied the integral ejector rod housing stop and front sight base on a 6" octagon barreled 500 Linebaugh revolver, ho lee damn what a beautiful sledgehammer of a pistola.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Latest reminding revelation came last night as i studied the integral ejector rod housing stop and front sight base on a 6" octagon barreled 500 Linebaugh revolver, ho lee damn what a beautiful sledgehammer of a pistola.

Oh yeah, you scored with that hammer Gunner. That sucker is a BEAUT.

Semper Fi
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Gunner,

Who built your 500? Nothing as fine as a fine custom revolver. Here's my Bowen Nimrod that has since gone down the road.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The truth is; a custom rifle is a rifle you cannot get from the factory. When a gunsmith re-stocked a 98 Mauser, re-contoured the barrel, welded on a new bolt handle, fitted scope mounts and produced something which was sort of unique, that was a custom rifle. There is a long list of master gunsmiths and gunmakers who made their living and their reputations just that way. When a gunsmith re-barreled a Model 70 and chambered it for some obscure wildcat cartridge, that would not be a custom rifle but a rifle with a custom barrel. When someone sticks the same rifle into a McMillan stock, it's a rifle with a custom barrel in an aftermarket stock.
Now, when D'Arcy Echols modifies a Winchester action, fits it with a custom barrel, puts it into a McMillan stock which is made from his pattern, and tops it off with his scope mount, that's pretty well the epitome of a custom. When I put the same stock on my rifle, it's a rifle with an aftermarket stock. Even when the rifle is a much modified action with a custom barrel and put into that stock, I have trouble calling it a custom rifle; but it is more than a kit.
I have a No1 MkIII Lee Enfield which features a home made forearm, a nice LOP extension on the butt ( cut from a premium pine fence board), a Ruger pad, and fitted with a Lyman peep sight and sourdough front. Although custom features abound, I doubt that anyone, upon seeing it, would say, "Now, that's a custom rifle!" GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scratch your initials in the stock with your belt buckle. There ya go, "custom".

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EdM

Gunner,

Who built your 500? Nothing as fine as a fine custom revolver. Here's my Bowen Nimrod that has since gone down the road.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dang Ed, that is a nice darned pistol!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Oh yeah, you scored with that hammer Gunner. That sucker is a BEAUT.

Thanks Big B, i can quickly see it becoming a favorite, bullets will be here today.

EdM, PM sent, damn, i would have been staring out the window with long face had i sent that Bowen down the road ; ]

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Northman
JR:

A Prechtl M98 or Hagn single shot action, are not Custom actions.
Its made to that shops/small factory specs...

I beg to differ on Hagn actions. Martin Hagn designed the action and builds them from scratch in batches of 10. He is, now, a one man shop and when he was with Ralf Martini-perhaps a 3 to 4 man shop. Certainly not a factory.
Those "Hagn" actions built by Hartmann and Weiss are built in-house to Martin's specs per agreement with Martin. I would not consider Hartmann and Weiss a "factory" either but a custom builder or a "bespoke" rifle builder in the same manner as Martin Hagn. Both offer different configurations on the actions per customer requests as well.

Last edited by Marley7x57; 09/22/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Scratch your initials in the stock with your belt buckle. There ya go, "custom".

Finally, somebody gets it............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 280ACKIMP, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,550
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.