Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PSE
As an update to this saga.

I took the new bolt and rifle to the gunsmith and he checked it with the Go/No Go gauges and it will definitely not close with the Go gauge. The gunsmith said it will likely not even chamber a round.

I will not be using the bolt. It appears that there may be some dimensional differences between older Remington bolt lugs and newer bolts. Interesting to know.

Simple question, why didn't you do this in first place ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PSE

I took the new bolt and rifle to the gunsmith and he checked it with the Go/No Go gauges and it will definitely not close with the Go gauge. The gunsmith said it will likely not even chamber a round.

I will not be using the bolt. It appears that there may be some dimensional differences between older Remington bolt lugs and newer bolts. Interesting to know.

Your story will help others here. I hope this doesn't sound smug. I don't mean it to. This is why it is best to take your concerns to someone qualified - even if it's just some conversation over the gun counter.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, PSE.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSE

Didn't this "new" bolt come rom a damaged firearm?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Yes the bolt came from a damaged firearm and one of the things I intended to do was get someone to check for head space, which I finally did after I received it, which took a little time as the donor was on vacation.

In the meantime before receiving it, I thought I'd see what Campfire had to say about it since there are a lot of shooters that are knowledgeable about such things on this forum.

Didn't expect the interrogation about what else was done to my rifle in the past though. That was a surprise.

So all is good and now that I'm satisfied I can"t use it - someone else has expressed interest in it and I'll send it along to him at no cost, except that like me in my case, I requested a donation toward any of our S74 court challenges up here.

P.S. I'll also inform him of my experience and testing with the bolt so he will be aware of its current status.

Last edited by PSE; 08/21/21.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.