Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
....may not be many here but I am one and only recently started keeping a few. We had many when I was a kid and I had a few in college, Western Hognose and Redtailed Boas.

During Covid I found a Speckled King, about 12" long on the road at night and decided to keep her if she would eat. She did eat and I ended up going to a reptile show, my first and brought home a normal Ball Python, and an Okeetee Corn and a California King. The Python was cool and ate like a pig and the Cali King finicky and never calmed down so I traded the Cali for a Prairie King, sold the Python and traded two Western Ribbon snakes I caught yesterday for a Longnose. So my intent was to reduce the number of snakes to feed so I went from 4, to 6 to 4 in one day.

Anyway, I like King's and will get another Cali but not until I get a Mexican Black.

I have fed my Speckled King fresh road kill snakes and a few live like juvenile rat snakes and she don't waste time.

This video is pretty damn cool, not my snake but watch how the Cali nails the Rattlesnake right on the head.

Dave

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t that much about Cali speckled king snakes, but from the one in the video, I gather that the straight inline position it took after grabbing the rattler was for Ease of consumption? Is that common?
Or maybe it was Just because it was in a box...?

Last edited by tndrbstr; 08/22/21.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Cool video RDW. I had a lot of snakes when I was younger as well. The baddest one was an Indigo snake. That thing would eat anything you dropped in his cage. I was deer hunting in the redwoods last year and we came across a rubber boa. Picked him up and checked him out and released him. Found a large California king last week on the road some ran over. Brought it home and skinned it out. Probably 5’ long and fat. Good luck with your new snakes.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Sucker’s pretty quick. 😮

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I don’t that much about Cali speckled king snakes, but from the one in the video, I gather that the straight inline position it took after grabbing the rattler was for Ease of consumption? Is that common?
Or maybe it was Just because it was in a box...?

The king was wedging himself between the ends of the container

Locked himself in position to control the rattler

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
....may not be many here but I am one and only recently started keeping a few. We had many when I was a kid and I had a few in college, Western Hognose and Redtailed Boas.

During Covid I found a Speckled King, about 12" long on the road at night and decided to keep her if she would eat. She did eat and I ended up going to a reptile show, my first and brought home a normal Ball Python, and an Okeetee Corn and a California King. The Python was cool and ate like a pig and the Cali King finicky and never calmed down so I traded the Cali for a Prairie King, sold the Python and traded two Western Ribbon snakes I caught yesterday for a Longnose. So my intent was to reduce the number of snakes to feed so I went from 4, to 6 to 4 in one day.

Anyway, I like King's and will get another Cali but not until I get a Mexican Black.

I have fed my Speckled King fresh road kill snakes and a few live like juvenile rat snakes and she don't waste time.

This video is pretty damn cool, not my snake but watch how the Cali nails the Rattlesnake right on the head.

That was a beautiful rattler. Nice distinct pattern.
Better in his pets belly than in someone's yard.
It sure knew it was in trouble from the way it darted! Lol
That King was dead on accurate too.

Those hognoses are very unique. I probably should have gotten one at some point. Is it eating mice yet?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/22/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Pretty decisive. Wish I could get one big enough to eat a democrat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Pretty decisive. Wish I could get one big enough to eat a democrat.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That Kingsnake would make a pretty set of grips......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.