Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey all...
looking for any and all advice and recommendations for a trip.
My 3 brothers and I are looking to take our mom on a lodge/resort week long fishing excursion..

Prefer the southeast AK area for salmon and halibut and have looked at elfin cove and eagles nest lodge near gustavus to name a few.

Mom would definitely appreciate a little comfort at the end of the days. She’s 73 but in good health/shape. She probably would not go fishing every day with us, so a lodge with some scenery would be a plus for her on the off days.

Not looking for the cheapest nor the most luxurious but something in the middle, as this may be a one shot deal.

Overall cost is less important than overall enjoyment this time.

Thanks in advance gentlemen and feel free to ask about anything I may have omitted

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Kains, Sitka, AK. Went last August and have already paid a deposit for 21. Good friend has probably fined with them 10 years. Good folks, good food, and plenty of fish.

It’s all about Leadership.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks smitty I’ll look into them

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Last edited by ironbender; 08/21/21.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bender.. have talked with Calvin in the past and have fished out of Craig/klawok

I loved the area and have intentions of fishing with Calvin soon, as nobody will know those waters better...but I’m thinking it’s probably not the ideal situation with mom in tow

She's gone shootin..
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might look at ISLAND POINT LODGE in Petersburg. This is a DIY type fishing lodge. Been there 3 times. Loved it Wanted to catch a halibut that was bigger and uglier than I am but no luck, LOL.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
In my opinion all of the southeast is beautiful, and almost all of it is good fishing. That being said , I would consider other interests she has such as historical buildings or places, or wildlife viewing, or whatever may be enjoyable on the off days. With the weather you brothers may want to have something other than fishing available for bad days also.

All This! And the circus too?
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Might look at ISLAND POINT LODGE in Petersburg. This is a DIY type fishing lodge. Been there 3 times. Loved it Wanted to catch a halibut that was bigger and uglier than I am but no luck, LOL.

I’ll check it out thanks..definitely looking for people who have first hand experience at lodges

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Crawler..appreciate the input. Mom is perfectly content to sit on a quiet deck or lounge and knit the day away should the weather turn bad..

She’s traveled plenty so she’d be happy to relax and enjoy the beauty of AK on an off day instead of having to go somewhere

It’s moreso a trip to spend some semi-secluded time away with mom... we just finished closing up grandpas estate and it was a tough row to hoe. Getting out and away to something different is the plan...

She knows her boys love fishing so it was actually her suggestion to look north

She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

I’ll check it out thanks..definitely looking for people who have first hand experience at lodges

Another thing about ISLAND POINT LODGE, Mon can sit on the porch of the lodge and watch Sea Lions, Orcas, whales and cruise ships.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not the panhandle but Afognak wilderness lodge is a cool place with great fishing. Or was last time I was there 6 years ago. The Randalls were good guys to fish and hunt with and the camp cook was outstanding. Cabins were nice as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.