Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone have experience with the Pacific Tool and Gauge Unithroater kit? I am looking to lengthen the throat on a couple of 30 caliber rifles by 20-30 thousandths and would like to hear if anyone has used the tool with satisfactory results.

Thanks

Last edited by tcp; 07/05/21.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They work fine. I usually throat when I chamber the barrel, but with this, the sleeve will center in the chamber. You'll need bushings too for a good fit.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
.020-.030, You should leave it alone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
They work fine. I usually throat when I chamber the barrel, but with this, the sleeve will center in the chamber. You'll need bushings too for a good fit.

This!!!!! ^^^^^^

Wayne knows what he's talking about! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep..

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm with Keith on this, not so sure your gonna gain much with .020 - .030. .050-.060 different story

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the kit in several calibers. Since i dont know your level of experience with throaters let me say this, a little goes a long way....It is very difficult to feel most throaters cut and you can go WAY beyond what you intended with very little effort....020-.030 is difficult to feel for sure!

Bill

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

This. In fact Wayne and I have swapped the same .30 tapered throater back and forth a couple times.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

This. In fact Wayne and I have swapped the same .30 tapered throater back and forth a couple times.

Yes we did! Did you hear Bob Sears passed away?

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW

Ordered the Unithroater kit on July 7 and was told 8 weeks. Called last Friday (8 weeks later) and was told at least 4 more weeks. Had I been told 12 weeks at the time I ordered I probably would have rented it from 4D instead.

I told this to the guy on the phone and it seemed like he could care less. He offered to cancel my order, which would mean that the spare bushing I purchased would be of no use to me as they shipped that right away and they would charge me a cancellation fee.

I hope the quality of the tool is better than their customer service.

Manson reamers has been my preference in the past but unfortunately they do not offer a comparable product that would be as easy to use by hand.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have not used the tool in question. I will just say what I have been throating with.

I just bought a short extension from I think Clymer via Brownells many years ago. I have made up two sleeves which fit on the xextension out of brass. They are both cross drilled and taped for a set screw. I put the throater into the chamber with the two sleeves together. I set everything into my chamber. I let the chamber center my brass sleeves. I gentley pull out the entire assembly. I lock the front screw, and move the back screw back. I move the back sleeve back the distace I want to move the throat forward. I do this movement measured by feeler stock between the two brass sleeves. I then move the front sleeve back to touch the rear sleeve. I have both 3 degree, and 5 degree included angles for my .264 calibers. With the sleeves centered by your reamed chamber, and the reamer pilot you have the action of a boreing bar. My 6.5-06 and my 6.5-55 reamers have their pilots removed. I throat by a sample round. Measure with a depth mike and the sample round in the chamber. Go from there with your sleeves. I make my sleeves with a slight champfer to put towards the chamber, which is probably overkill.

Keep the reamer brushed clean, well oiled, and run a patches out of the bore to make certain you don't bugger yourself up if you cut much. Clean and oil everthing up at the end of work.

Unless you are making heavy bench guns I think my method works fine. I tell people that with my careful work take the darn thing out and put maybe 40 rounds through it, cleaning every few shots. By then you'll have everything evened up. The bigger the cartridge's boiler room the more certain I am of my methods. I make hunting rifles.

Only my opinion as a part-time basement guy. I'd love to hear the opinions of others. I love to read and learn. I am not trying to steal the thread - just enrich it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tcp
FWIW

Ordered the Unithroater kit on July 7 and was told 8 weeks. Called last Friday (8 weeks later) and was told at least 4 more weeks. Had I been told 12 weeks at the time I ordered I probably would have rented it from 4D instead.

I told this to the guy on the phone and it seemed like he could care less. He offered to cancel my order, which would mean that the spare bushing I purchased would be of no use to me as they shipped that right away and they would charge me a cancellation fee.

I hope the quality of the tool is better than their customer service.

Manson reamers has been my preference in the past but unfortunately they do not offer a comparable product that would be as easy to use by hand.

Good ole PTG. Pretty much a consistent story with them.
I called few months ago about a go- guage they had on there website to see if it was in stock guy couldnt even tell me if it was or not. WTF I passed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,271
Posts18,486,613
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.