Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife will occasionally roast a duck to get duck fat which is amazing. I like both goose and duck when well prepared.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My timeline of peak numbers and tapering down to close to retirement track with the OP. It’s so rich. Jerky was the method that ended up utilizing the surplus. More tender and finished taste was in line with deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Breast em out throw em in the pepperoni/sausage/kielbasa pile with the rank blacktail meat. 👍

Blacktails ain't rank.
Ducks are.

You eat wannabe blacktails, real blacktails are gamey pepperoni fodder. 🤣

100% wrong.

The only gamey deer I've ever had (and I've killed over 70) was a rutted out, sage eating muley.

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Breast em out throw em in the pepperoni/sausage/kielbasa pile with the rank blacktail meat. 👍

Blacktails ain't rank.
Ducks are.

You eat wannabe blacktails, real blacktails are gamey pepperoni fodder. 🤣

100% wrong.

The only gamey deer I've ever had (and I've killed over 70) was a rutted out, sage eating muley.

Ever eat a western wa briar eating buck? I didn’t think so, in my opinion they are far and away the rankest gamiest deer there is hands down. 100% right

Killed truckloads of rutted up Muleys from Alberta, Idaho and Montana, I’ve never had a bad one.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Beav, this post inspired me to throw together a duck/shrimp gumbo. When I say throw together, I've been cooking for a solid 3.5 hours. The wife brought me a beer a few minutes ago, so thought I'd sit down.

The kitchen smells great. I'll have some pics in a bit. Gotta get the shrimp peeled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Beav, this post inspired me to throw together a duck/shrimp gumbo. When I say throw together, I've been cooking for a solid 3.5 hours. The wife brought me a beer a few minutes ago, so thought I'd sit down.

The kitchen smells great. I'll have some pics in a bit. Gotta get the shrimp peeled.

Excellent News !

While you’re drinking and before you get hammered, please post a quick recipe for your gumbo.

Wife has been made aware of your other ways to prepare duck. I say this like wifey is the only means I have for getting food on a hot cooking surface....I’m a good cook too. Laffin

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's my take on ducks. First, store bought duck and wild duck are 2 different animals on the plate. It's like comparing corn fed beef to wild elk or deer, they're just not the same. Second, duck (and from here on when I refer to duck, it's wild duck, blasted out of the sky) shouldn't be over cooked, medium at the most (same with geese). Third, there's a lot of variation in taste with duck depending on what they've been feeding on. So, lumping them into either "they all taste like sh%t" or "they're the best tasting meat on the planet" isn't really fair. I've had teal that was simply fantastic and also a mallard or 2 that must have been feeding on a cow turd pond that had to be thrown away they smelled so bad. And lastly, if you're going to the trouble of going out to kill them, put them to use. Play with recipes until you find some that work.

My favorite ways to eat ducks and geese are as poppers or breasted and brined then smoked with apple wood and cut thin or jerky or ground up and made into summer sausage and pepperoni sticks. Honestly, I really enjoy hunting waterfowl more than I like eating waterfowl, my wife loves it though so I keep going. And it's good exercise for the dog! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Breast them, fillet them, stuff with jalapenos, pineapple, or whatever your heart desires.
Cook over a hot grill. Eat rare.

Also, a bunch of drumsticks in a crockpot with BBQ sauce is good.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gumbo

1. make roux. 1/2 cup oil or lard and 1/2 cup flour. Can do on stove top or in oven. Cook till chocolate brown. Not burned, just dark. Takes hours.

2.Mirepoix
Chop 1 green pepper, 1 yellow or red pepper, 6 ribs of Celery and two onions. Need several tbsp of garlic and I like to add a chopped and seeded Jalapeno or two to it.

3. 3/4# of andouille sausage cut into 1/4" rounds. Start sautéing those in a heavy duty Dutch oven. Put about 3/4# duck meat (breasts or legs). Cook all until browned. Remove meat.

Sautee Mirepoix, starting with onion and Celery, when onion is soft and translucent add peppers, garlic and Jalapeno. Sautee until soft. Move pan off heat.

When roux is done, add to Mirepoix and then add 4-5 cups of stock. You want it to thicken, so don't add too much.

Then add meat back, 1/2# of chopped okra, several tbsp of tomato paste and spices. Today, I used paprika, Thyme, marjoram some chopped fresh Parsley salt and black pepper.

Cook another 1-1.5 hours, until thickened. Turn off heat and add 3/4# of shrimp, cover and let residual heat cook shrimp for 8-10 minutes.

Serve over rice with hot sauce and fresh chopped Parsley.

You can use venison, or other seafood too.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 08/22/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have yet to find a way to make ducks or geese taste "good", and yes......I've had easily a dozen people tell me over the years "you haven't tried my duck jerky, gumbo, hamburger, X, Y, Z", to which I did and I still can't say it was good. Even when ground up and mixed in with deer/elk/whatever grind with bacon and turned into sausage, I could still taste the.......duck.

I largely quit (but not totally) hunting them for multiple reasons beyond taste, though they are fun as hell to shoot.

I truly believe the subjectiveness of taste buds is a huge part of why some people like ducks but hate whitetail, love elk but hate mule deer, etc. I can't tell the difference between any kind of deer, elk or moose, but can for damn sure taste waterfowl's nastiness.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have yet to find a way to make ducks or geese taste "good", and yes......I've had easily a dozen people tell me over the years "you haven't tried my duck jerky, gumbo, hamburger, X, Y, Z", to which I did and I still can't say it was good. Even when ground up and mixed in with deer/elk/whatever grind with bacon and turned into sausage, I could still taste the.......duck.

I largely quit (but not totally) hunting them for multiple reasons beyond taste, though they are fun as hell to shoot.

I truly believe the subjectiveness of taste buds is a huge part of why some people like ducks but hate whitetail, love elk but hate mule deer, etc. I can't tell the difference between any kind of deer, elk or moose, but can for damn sure taste waterfowl's nastiness.

Ha ha.. Tinman a lot of truth right there.... gave up duck & goose hunting 30yrs ago for that exact reason

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gumbo

1. make roux. 1/2 cup oil or lard and 1/2 cup flour. Can do on stove top or in oven. Cook till chocolate brown. Not burned, just dark. Takes hours.

2.Mirepoix
Chop 1 green pepper, 1 yellow or red pepper, 6 ribs of Celery and two onions. Need several tbsp of garlic and I like to add a chopped and seeded Jalapeno or two to it.

3. 3/4# of andouille sausage cut into 1/4" rounds. Start sautéing those in a heavy duty Dutch oven. Put about 3/4# duck meat (breasts or legs). Cook all until browned. Remove meat.

Sautee Mirepoix, starting with onion and Celery, when onion is soft and translucent add peppers, garlic and Jalapeno. Sautee until soft. Move pan off heat.

When roux is done, add to Mirepoix and then add 4-5 cups of stock. You want it to thicken, so don't add too much.

Then add meat back, 1/2# of chopped okra, several tbsp of tomato paste and spices. Today, I used paprika, Thyme, marjoram some chopped fresh Parsley salt and black pepper.

Cook another 1-1.5 hours, until thickened. Turn off heat and add 3/4# of shrimp, cover and let residual heat cook shrimp for 8-10 minutes.

Serve over rice with hot sauce and fresh chopped Parsley.

You can use venison, or other seafood too.

High 5

Thanks !

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Beaver10
In my teens thru my twenties, I duck and goose hunted 30 plus days a season

🦫

30 days a season? lol! Sing with me now: Mary had a little lamb, little lamb... wink Assuming you're actually going to nut up and follow through on your threat to join for sea duck/brant/coastal diver & puddle duck killing in December, you best bring your game face and at least a case of #2s. And a pacifier. I've got some giggles in store for you, softcockee! wink
🙄 ^ ^ ^

It’s always fun and extremely amusing to listen to a “Shootist” run his gums before a hunt. “I’ll give you the first couple birds to let you get warmed up on before I start busting wings”.....” I’ve been shooting this Ithaca model 37 pump forever (insert any Browning stack barrel here too) and I don’t miss”....”You better be quick with your shotgun - just saying”

I’ve heard these words and others said by guys thinking they can shoot. Big Emphasis on “Think”.

LMAO

🦫

'Busting wings?' lol Around heah we shoot 'em in the face, bigtime. I own a GoPro. Keep talking! Ask our boy Kingston how much I miss when the birds are flying. Or Doc Rock. Or STX. Nevermind. Just bring your West coast A game and a size large hankerchief. wink

Oh, ok, now you’re gonna make this a West Coast against East Coast, Gangster Challenge. Sorta like I’m Tupac and you’re Biggie Smalls. You know they both died, right ? Laffin

I’m calling you “Smalls” from now on, brother. No more racist trappings from me towards you. You’re just “Smalls” forever.

🤣🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing about ducks, and geese to some extent, is that one never knows where they've been recently.

Watch them come out of a grain field, or a nice clean marsh somewhere, shoot a couple, and then wonder why they taste like "duck"?

Maybe because the night before they just came off the sewage ponds after a week of feasting there, then they continued their migration and ended up in the neighbor's stubble field, or under the flooded oaks.

I've only killed a couple, ate more that were gifted to me, and they are fine with me. Some folks, my wife for instance, have a strong dislike for them because they taste like liver they say................which is fine by me as I love liver.

I used to laugh at folks telling stories about "only eating nice mallards and teal" and such, because they eat grass and water plants and the like. Then I told them I worked on salmon rivers and streams it was always cool to run across a big old black and white fungussed up post spawn king salmon with a couple of mallards working it over. And the next day those birds might be shot flying over the hay field two miles away.

I hope to get out after some ducks or geese this season, and I will likely eat them and enjoy them..................the dogs never complain about the parts I toss them either.

Good luck Beav. Just realize, if you hunt that trout pond we've discussed, those mallards might taste a bit fishy if they find a nice dead one to mack on!

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/22/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Found a shot detector at Cabela's last year. Running it over frozen duck breasts showed quite a few missed pellets. It is now a standard step in duck processing. It was cheap, too. Looking to upgrade...

Kodiak mallards typically target salmon redds. Horrible birds! Both flavors of goldeneye are great in the same time and place. Bufflehead, gadwall, redhead, and cans are great.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What Timberrunner said.

Another way for duck and goose breast as done by a buddy at the deer camp:
Marinate breasts in orange juice overnight in a Tupperware container, allow to come to room temperature, dredge In seasoned flour.

Heat an iron skillet very hot and coat the bottom with evoo and a large pat of butter. Sear both sides of breasts and don’t overcook.

Good eating.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leftover duck/shrimp gumbo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've only shot a couple wood ducks. Tasted fine.
Used to blast a fair number of geese in the early season.

My kids think they can cook ( now adults ) so want me to fill the freezer w small game and waterfowl.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/23/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'd eat that..................for sure!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Looks like some straight up culinary skills from TR.

Duck gumbo will be the first attempt at making duck not suck.

Laffin

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,428
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.