Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
You can’t take a pill(s) for gout and then continue to live the gouty, high-on-the-hog lifestyle.

You may have a level of kidney dysfunction.

Friskies and Puss-N-Boots canned cat dinner is also high in purines. (In case you're a hermit in a cabin living on $600 a month SSI)

Meow mix taste way better.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I take indomethacin at the first onset of a flair. I don't care if I wake up at 3a.m. in a tent and my pills are at home. I'm heading back for them. 99% of the time I'm good to go by noon the next day. If I wait or are out of them, I'm screwed. Grouse sets me off bad but pheasant doesn't. Also, too much venison will get me.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by MickeyD
You dont want to take allopurinol while experiencing a gout flair. It will make it worse. Don't ask me how I know.
Take colchicine to get the flair under control before using allopurinol.

Same thing my doc said when he put me on it, don’t ever take it during a flare up.

I quit using it a few years back and have had a few flare ups but nothing major, luckily.

Buddy said he used indomiacine (sp?) And prednisone last week and didn’t have the $hits like colchicine is known for.

Indomethacin SR 75 mg every 12 h is an effective anti-inflammatory for gout attacks. Be aware it is very hard on the GI system and is know to cause gastric ulcers if used for more than 10 day or so.

Yep. Losing some weight and figuring out all the foods that triggered my gout helped me more than anything.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Every gout attack I have had has been related to a "beer event". By that I mean I have been at some place, football tailgate, weekend at hunting lodge, travel weekend grandsons hockey team, etc. where more than two or three beers were consumed. In most cases some distance driving to get home was also part of the equation.

Since going on Allopurinol and keep beer consumption to only a few each week I have had no problems past 2 years, but I am afraid to push it to "event" level.

Alcohol consumption and dehydration go hand in hand, no?

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Every gout attack I have had has been related to a "beer event". By that I mean I have been at some place, football tailgate, weekend at hunting lodge, travel weekend grandsons hockey team, etc. where more than two or three beers were consumed. In most cases some distance driving to get home was also part of the equation.

Since going on Allopurinol and keep beer consumption to only a few each week I have had no problems past 2 years, but I am afraid to push it to "event" level.

Alcohol consumption and dehydration go hand in hand, no?

Depends if you are a professional or an amateur. smile

As an aside, from my own experience dehydration does seem to trigger a gout attack for me.

But I shake my head every time I see people saying red meat and alcohol cause gout, avoid at all costs.

I have gout. I spent 30 days living on pork chops, beefsteaks, and gin, and gatorade. Just enough celery to keep things moving. Zero gout problems.

MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My stepbrother gets gout every time he eats beef from his fathers farm, which he no longer eats[of course].

FJB & FJT
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,737
Posts18,514,408
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.