Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I've replaced the stock on one of my rifles with a Woox Woodsman. I have a few more rifles and possible future builds where I may use a Woox stock.

But the big news is their yet to be released new inlet. I don't want to say because they haven't announced it yet but I'll give you two hints:

Very popular rifle
Horrible stock

😁😁😁😁

https://wooxstore.com/

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How much does your stock weigh?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They are heavy 3.2-4.8 lbs depending on model. I've looked at them for Savage rifles and the weight is the biggest detractor. Most Savage rifles are already heavy, why would I want to make them heavier? They seem well made, but they aren't what I'm looking for.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by taylorce1
They are heavy 3.2-4.8 lbs depending on model. I've looked at them for Savage rifles and the weight is the biggest detractor. Most Savage rifles are already heavy, why would I want to make them heavier? They seem well made, but they aren't what I'm looking for.

Yeah what is so earth shattering about a 3.2-4.8 lb stock ? I think that design needs to go back to the drawing board and Jenny Craig.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I guess it's a matter of preference? I also hunt with a model 12 Varmint barrel and a BR14 HMR. Both of which are heavier.

We do hike a few miles while hunting with packs and rifles so I'm use to it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll just say it: they're ugly

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I tried to upload a photo of the rifle and scale but the photo is larger than 97kb. So it's a Savage Stevens 243 with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP. It's got a cheek riser / ammo bag and a leather sling.

It comes in at 7lbs so yes it is heavy.

I got the stock for two reasons. It's a full aluminum chassis that will not flex in the AZ heat. Unlike MDT or any other chassis system it doesn't have that skeleton industrial look, which isn't a bad look. I think the wood gives it a classic hunter appeal.

More so than the hef, I like the balance. Buuuut YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

With the combined weight of just that stock and the average NF scope, you are up to the weight of my entire hunting rigs. Do they sell the Toyota Tacoma truck mounts too?

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

With the combined weight of just that stock and the average NF scope, you are up to the weight of my entire hunting rigs. Do they sell the Toyota Tacoma truck mounts too?

Wow you guys are use to some really light rifles if 7 pounds is to heavy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by HaYen
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Let's say the average weight of a Remington 700 with a synthetic stock is 7lbs 4 ounces without a scope and rings. That is with a 32-36 ounce synthetic stock. Why would I want to add a minimum of 1lb to say 3 lbs to this gun?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

If you somehow managed to get a 7lb Stevens 200 with the lightest Woox stock, and a 20+ ounce scope you did very well. From my experience it's very tough to stay under 7.5 lbs in a factory Stevens 200.

You took a 6.5 lb +/- rifle and removed a stock that weighs less than 2 lbs and added a 3.2 lb stock back. I happen to have a Stevens 200 .243 Win barrel and it weighs 2.5 lbs and a stock that weighs 1.75 lbs by my scale. So add that to a 3.2 lbs stock and you have 5.7 lbs so that means your action, scope, and accessories can't add up to more than 1.3 lbs total weight to get 7lbs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The math just doesn't add up, so either my scales are off or yours are. By my best estimate you're closer to 10 lbs before adding your sling and cheek riser in. However, if you like the stock that is all that really matters in the end.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[img]https://flic.kr/p/2mjAaH7[/img]

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2mjAaHN[/img]

The gun is 7 pounds believe me don't believe me. I gain nothing from lying BUT let's say hypothetically the gun weighted 10 pounds, what's the problem?

Last edited by HaYen; 08/26/21.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

The gun is 7 pounds believe me don't believe me. I gain nothing from lying BUT let's say hypothetically the gun weighted 10 pounds, what's the problem?

Nothing is wrong with a 10 lbs rifle, if you enjoy using it. I've hunted with heavier at times myself. I just simply pointed out that your scales are lying to you or that Woox is seriously messing up their listed weights.

Simply do the math:

3.2lb stock
2.5 lb barrel
1.5 lb optic
-------
7.2 lbs

You'll have at least three more pounds by the time you and an action, scope base, rings. To me that's a 10 lb rifle all day long, regardless of what your scales say. I've built enough Savage rifles to know they're almost impossible to stay under 8 lbs, it is just the nature if the Savage beast.

I don't hate the Woox stock, they simply weren't what I was looking for on my last Savage build as I already knew I was going to have a hard time making my goal weight. If it's your stock of choice by all means use it.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Nothing is wrong with a 10 lbs rifle, if you enjoy using it. I've hunted with heavier at times myself. I just simply pointed out that your scales are lying to you or that Woox is seriously messing up their listed weights.

Simply do the math:

3.2lb stock
2.5 lb barrel
1.5 lb optic
-------
7.2 lbs

You'll have at least three more pounds by the time you and an action, scope base, rings. To me that's a 10 lb rifle all day long, regardless of what your scales say. I've built enough Savage rifles to know they're almost impossible to stay under 8 lbs, it is just the nature if the Savage beast.

I don't hate the Woox stock, they simply weren't what I was looking for on my last Savage build as I already knew I was going to have a hard time making my goal weight. If it's your stock of choice by all means use it.

👍

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
@taylorce1 you're right. Tried a different scale and the gun came in at exactly 10 pounds.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
HaYen, how does that 243 shoot with your new stock? What loads you putting together for it?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Is it fair to say you have Wook wifle....

Truthfully it reminded of a prosthesis....if had to ever get one I'd want wOOk to make it for me.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MSRifleman
HaYen, how does that 243 shoot with your new stock? What loads you putting together for it?

So I spent a good amount of time (wasted) with trying to come up with a load using the old stock. Of all the bullets I tried, the 90gr Sierra Game Changer were the most accurate, followed closely by the 90GR ELD-X and Partition. I have HotCors because I could find them and I would not have an issue hunting with them

I'm using W760 (can't remember the load off the top) because I can find it in my area..

With Woox you have to have the new Savage magazine (push button not leaver #55232). I can't find a magazine right now so I have to single feed each round.

My groups are around half MOA with a flyer every 3rd or 4th shot. That has to do more with me playing around with the COAL. After measuring the 90gr Sierras in my chamber, my next test group is set to 2.60"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.