-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If anybody knows, somebody here will. How do I sharpen an old straight razor? It's starting to lose its edge. BTW, made by Fred.Broeker, Solingen, Germany.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grouseman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking fine out your way and you're all well as can be.

Do you have a leather strop for it?

When I'm just freshening up the edge on something like a straight razor, I'll take a good look at it under a bright light with an opti-visor and if it's not rolled too, too bad, a stropping with leather dressed with polishing compound will usually do it.

If it's rolled beyond what can be stropped back, then a white Hard Arkansas stone, well oiled will work but one needs to pay attention to keeping the angle correct and consistent.

Some people find that say a piece of 1500 grit wet/dry paper on a chunk of glass, again well oiled, works better for them. That's worth a try too.

Then strop carefully and try it out.

I'll say too that "testing" the edge on paper or one's thumb, etc makes it dull again at those spots - one can see it sometimes under that bright light with that optivisor, but you can surely feel it or that's been my experience.

Hopefully that helped and made sense.

Good luck with it regardless and all the best to you all out east.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do have 1500 grit, glass and oil. I'll have to rig something to keep it at a constant angle.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I shave that way, all the time. Leather paddle strop w/diamond paste about once a month, linen/leather hanging strop every shave,
hard ark stone then translucent ark stone if something went wrong to an edge, which is rare. With the right hollow grind, the back edge
seems to make the shaving edge work right. For me, the more important thing is to hone/strop with a light pressure-much lighter than
a knife. And there's a formula for the correct edge, for me- 18 strop strokes on linen side, then 7 strokes on leather- that's each side, of course.
Guess everybody might need something different.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by grouseman
If anybody knows, somebody here will. How do I sharpen an old straight razor? It's starting to lose its edge. BTW, made by Fred.Broeker, Solingen, Germany.

Alternatively, if you do not lose over a billion dollars in the market, you can buy a new razor.

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dustyone
Blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah oink oink, oink oink........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
with a razor hone stone.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Heard draggin it across the throat of a communist works

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There used to be an old timer who was head of a barber school near Pittsburgh who could take anyone's dull straight razor and sharpen it quickly freehand. Every razor was said to be sharper than anybody else could get with any amount of time, stones and strops.

I keep talking myself into going to my collection of antique straight razors for now on.
It's just that, I don't have the patience to take time to do it right.
I have over ten new 6 blade quality shave refills that are quick and Nick free.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
a cheap 1x30 grinder and a leather belt with compound would be my suggestion

MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Yawning

Silly poo

Do you think that Donald Trump sharpens his razors? or just buys new ones, like I do?

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/24/21.

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Never tried to sharpen one myself, always sent mine off to a honing service, but I'm pretty sure you lay them flat. That's why all the old wore out ones have heavily worn spines.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Youtube is your friend. I've seen several videos about this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
grouseman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking fine out your way and you're all well as can be.

Do you have a leather strop for it?

When I'm just freshening up the edge on something like a straight razor, I'll take a good look at it under a bright light with an opti-visor and if it's not rolled too, too bad, a stropping with leather dressed with polishing compound will usually do it.

If it's rolled beyond what can be stropped back, then a white Hard Arkansas stone, well oiled will work but one needs to pay attention to keeping the angle correct and consistent.

Some people find that say a piece of 1500 grit wet/dry paper on a chunk of glass, again well oiled, works better for them. That's worth a try too.

Then strop carefully and try it out.

I'll say too that "testing" the edge on paper or one's thumb, etc makes it dull again at those spots - one can see it sometimes under that bright light with that optivisor, but you can surely feel it or that's been my experience.

Hopefully that helped and made sense.

Good luck with it regardless and all the best to you all out east.

Dwayne

Yes sir.

I was surprised how many straight razor videos there are on youtube. Here's one that makes sense to a straight razor newbie like me. He seems to know what he's talking about too
. Like you said about not testing sharpness like one might do with a hunting knife.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just stop shaving. It was only the f-a-g Romans in the past and the beardless girly-men of today that ever wanted to make their face look like a woman's or a little boy's.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 08/24/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Just stop shaving. It was only the f-a-g Romans in the past and the beardless girly-men of today that ever wanted to make their face look like a woman's or a little boy's.

Semi related- what's up with the trend of males
wanting to shave their junk?
There's even television commercials for special
junk shaving clippers now. . .

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If my d ick was as small as a quail chick hatched that day, I'd have a hard time pissing over the bush too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I am a big proponent of men retaining facial hair.

But as to the Roman reference, there was an emperor that rocked a beard and made it stylish. Though I’d not want associated with him. wink

MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (2500HD, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,559
Posts18,473,130
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.