H
Thanks

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try and simplify the math when I do mine. I measure the gap between the receiver and the bottom of the scope. (for an example we will say .25 inches) I know that my scope has a 30 mm tube (which equals 1.181 inches in diameter) and my receiver is 1.35 inches in diameter.
The barrel screws into the receiver at the center line so center of barrel is (1.35/2 = .675") The center of the scope as you stated above is half the diameter so (1.181/2 =.5905 inches
Now I add .5905 + .675 + .25 and my scope CL is 1.5155 inches above my bore.

Same math you did but I just find it easier to measure the gap under the scope tube.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For me, it is harder to find the CL of the barrel at the end of the scope. Most of the time, the barrel is in the radius part of the contour about that point and I can be off on my measurement.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The math looks good to me, but I usually make my measurement at the erector housing since thatโ€™s where adjustments are made.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I wish this site had a ๐Ÿ‘ option per posts ๐Ÿ˜. So in all honesty, for hunting purposes and distances, does it really make that big a difference? I run 0 MOA bases on all my rigs and since this morning I've measured 7 rifles and the difference is any where from .1 to .3 MOA from the standard 1.5" guesstimate.

I called Vortex about a separate question but while I had them in the phone...the guy confirmed my math was sound (long but sound) and anywhere between 100 and 200 yards .1 isn't going to make the big a difference; not that the pig can tell.

Thanks folks

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I stack coins shim on the front and rear action where the screw holes are. Then place scope on the shims until there is 1/8" clearance on the scope bell. Meaure the height of your shims and you are then good to go. Look at manufacturers specs to see how their rings are measured and the height.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Center your scope reticle, insert a chamber laser and sighting the scope measure the difference close-up on the wall target.
I always get a kick out out of everyone that automatically wants to keep the height as low as possible, how your normal hold on the rifle is more important.

Phil

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I stack coins shim on the front and rear action where the screw holes are. Then place scope on the shims until there is 1/8" clearance on the scope bell. Meaure the height of your shims and you are then good to go. Look at manufacturers specs to see how their rings are measured and the height.

X2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDupontJr

X2

This tells height above center of bore how? Methinks you're both confused on what he's trying to determine.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I read correctly, this is being applied to a big game rifle to be used under 200 yards. How about: 1. Shoot the gun to see where it hits. 2. Practice to maintain your skills. 3. Buy BBQ sauce for the pigs youโ€™ll kill.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

X2

This tells height above center of bore how? Methinks you're both confused on what he's trying to determine.

No it tells me how well a scope fits on a rifle. Put the scope on the shim bed and you know your objective clearance. I don't need formulas to determine scope clearance. Everyone of my rifles has less then 1/8 clearance on the bell, because my method takes barrel contour into consideration. The OP is confused for sure, what happened to the formula he posted?.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Center your scope reticle, insert a chamber laser and sighting the scope measure the difference close-up on the wall target.
I always get a kick out out of everyone that automatically wants to keep the height as low as possible, how your normal hold on the rifle is more important.

Phil

Says the person that uses a chamber laser.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

X2

No it tells me how well a scope fits on a rifle. Put the scope on the shim bed and you know your objective clearance. I don't need formulas to determine scope clearance. Everyone of my rifles has less then 1/8 clearance on the bell, because my method takes barrel contour into consideration. The OP is confused for sure, what happened to the formula he posted?.

That's great and all, but that's not what he was asking. He was wondering about figuring height of his scope above the bore. You see, that's one of the numbers you plug into a ballistics program for getting trajectory data.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

X2

That's great and all, but that's not what he was asking. He was wondering about figuring height of his scope above the bore. You see, that's one of the numbers you plug into a ballistics program for getting trajectory data.

Get the measurement from the center of the bore to the top of the receiver, add the shim measurement and half of the scope tube diameter and there is your answer.

If you already have the scope on then height of receiver to middle of scope tube and centerline of bore to top of receiver.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

X2

๐Ÿ‘

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.