Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16374161 08/25/21
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use software on your phone to determine land ownership?
What do you think of it?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s all I use mostly. Here in the East and out west. It’s a game changer for me.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There are certain private lands that it just doesn't show, which is of course annoying. But it is the best I've seen - better than the chip on the GPS even, since it can update data much more easily.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got an elk tag in an area that has a lot of private land mixed in with BLM land. I’ll probably buy a year’s subscription.
It would be nice if it gave out landowners phone numbers.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use it quite a bit.

For our property in WV, the boundaries are all off by about 100 yards to the south. Not that big of a deal as we all know where our property lines are, but since they just designated a chunk of paper company land that borders ours as "public" we forsee that we might run into problems with folks who follow the software over the tree markings and posted signs.

But as far as ease of use and the ability to use it "offline", it is great.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a big fan of On X !!!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/25/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Two thumbs up!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't dare hunt in Wyoming without it.
Great product.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A great tool for sure, many useful layers of information.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’ve got an elk tag in an area that has a lot of private land mixed in with BLM land. I’ll probably buy a year’s subscription.

That would depend on if you were a landowner or not. I know I wouldn't appreciate calls to come hunt at all hours all the time.
What unit is your elk tag for?

You know SD gfp has a free app showing public vs private

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use it all the time here at home and out west... very accurate (+/- a foot or two) in the places that I had just surveyed... it goes perfect when hunting.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Count on renewing it after that first year is up.
onX rocks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How much does the subscription cost?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elite yearly (50 states) is $99.
IIRC, you can do a monthly subscription if you so choose.

WWP53D
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

That would depend on if you were a landowner or not. I know I wouldn't appreciate calls to come hunt at all hours all the time.

SD elk, ha ha! SDGF&P’s would rather not allow elk hunting proven by the way they dole out tags.

The license is for Wyoming just across the border from SD. East of New Castle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Onx on my computer at home to study lands I want to hunt great tool to find land features, two tracks and property lines. I'm a coyote hunter and am on the move all day doing stand over a large chunk of country. The Onx mapping saves alot of time as I can spend hours pouring of terrain features at home. I have Hirsch 10 state mapping on my GPS's both in the truck and on the MC perfect for determining private and public lands, I rarely bother to hunt private lands unless invited. I also carry a book of BLM maps for where I'm hunting so I can lay out a travel route for the next day, I hunt for weeks at a time out of my van. Plus I carry a computer(12v powered) in the truck to access county assessor GSI mapping and land ownership records if I really need to get on some private lands.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 08/26/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
IT will come in handy up there.

It's been really dry this year, water may be key for the elk up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

SD elk, ha ha! SDGF&P’s would rather not allow elk hunting proven by the way they dole out tags.

Glad you thought it was so funny, I've hunted elk several times in the last 7 years in South Dakota, not super hard to draw. I think they do a pretty good job with what they have to work with. The only way they could improve the elk draw is to limit people to one elk choice per year to apply for. Good luck in your season

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I use it for upland hunting a ton. I'm at the point where I consider it a must have to hunt public land. I know exactly where I'm at pretty much at all times. No guessing. If there is no cell coverage you download areas ahead of time.

I've also read stories about people who claim public land as "their" land. If they are local, and I'm out of state I want some evidence on my side of the story if the cops get called. I believe you can use a tracking feature to show exactly where you've been.

If you hunt a couple states the elite subscription is way more valuable than the cost.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know how I managed before onx.

Super useful if you're hunting public land, or hunt lots of different areas.

Not that necessary if you plop your butt in a tree stand and never go anywhere else.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone using OnX on a vehicle navigation unit through Apple/Android Car Play?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
How much does the subscription cost?
$29/yr for 1 state, $99/yr for 50 states.

What I find to be hard is deciding what maps to download in advance for offline use. It seems that I'm constantly finding myself in an area with no cell coverage and I don't have room on my phone to save a huge area. They won't save to an SD card. You need room in the internal storage. Last week we spend several nights in a state park in WA. There was cell coverage in towns on both sides of us but none in the park. It was hard to plan the next day's activities with no maps to look at in the evenings.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is one of the reasons I still keep books of BLM maps of the areas I plant to hunt or visit. While no longer being offered my Kirsch mapping on the GPS is always working unless there is no sat. service.

I have loose leaf binders with BLM maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, CO, AZ and NM plus Public lands maps book for N. WI. Again I'm not a big game hunter but coyotes and birds so I'm moving all through the day and it is really nice to be able to sit in camp with a paper map and lay out a travel route for the next day and then use the truck mounted GPS with a public lands chip to determine property lines while hunting.

I really need to get an unlimited wifi plan for my phone so the computer with OnX can be used on the road.

Last edited by erich; 08/30/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a pretty decent tool. The ownership records for private lots is pretty hit or miss in my experience. I use OnX for work a lot as a private woodlot forester. As someone that spends a lot of time in tax commitment books, OnX is spotty. The parcel lines in the app are only as good as the tax maps from which they digitize from. But it gets you the parcel lines in your hands easily and the public land stuff is very spot on.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by erich
That is one of the reasons I still keep books of BLM maps of the areas I plant to hunt or visit. While no longer being offered my Kirsch mapping on the GPS is always working unless there is no sat. service.

I have loose leaf binders with BLM maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, CO, AZ and NM plus Public lands maps book for N. WI. Again I'm not a big game hunter but coyotes and birds so I'm moving all through the day and it is really nice to be able to sit in camp with a paper map and lay out a travel route for the next day and then use the truck mounted GPS with a public lands chip to determine property lines while hunting.

I really need to get an unlimited wifi plan for my phone so the computer with OnX can be used on the road.

always have a good detailed paper maps, gazetteer as back up to onyx. Great app

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Due to the lack of cell service in a lot of the places I frequent, I find it to be handier on my Garmin 650 Rhino. I do like the off line maps on the cell phone, and the desk top.
It also comes in handy around the ranch when planning out water lines, fences etc.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's a great tool. Use the tracker function every time you go out. Really helps you navigate. And as mentioned before you need to download area maps before you go if the cell coverage isn't there. Run on airplane mode to save your battery.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ON X is good but not extremely accurate. for instance it showsmy property line running through my living room. which is very inconsistant with tax maps and survey pins

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mbhunt
It's a great tool. Use the tracker function every time you go out. Really helps you navigate. And as mentioned before you need to download area maps before you go if the cell coverage isn't there. Run on airplane mode to save your battery.
I've been having trouble with the tracker lately. It locates me correctly but doesn't always show the track. I'm wondering if reloading the app might fix it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used it since before the name change 10 years ago. We hunt some areas right up against private where the rancher calls if you get within 100 yards of his property line. This is an excellent way to keep out of trouble & find new access to public when scouting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone used it in Kansas, or another state, which has a private land WIHA access program?

I'm just wondering if it has all the WIHA land boundaries marked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use On X, too. I need it. Our state and National Forests have jagged boundaries and exist in broken tracts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have large chunks of BLM and Nat Forest land with partial sections of private land scattered around through them, usually surrounding a spring but sometimes being just a rock pile. I can't explain how some of those pieces ever got claimed. Likewise, there are huge chunks of private land with pieces of public land in them, often with no public access. Anyway, even federal employees don't know where the boundaries are without some kind of instruments to locate them. OnX is a big help.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have large chunks of BLM and Nat Forest land with partial sections of private land scattered around through them, usually surrounding a spring but sometimes being just a rock pile. I can't explain how some of those pieces ever got claimed. Likewise, there are huge chunks of private land with pieces of public land in them, often with no public access. Anyway, even federal employees don't know where the boundaries are without some kind of instruments to locate them. OnX is a big help.

Same in Virginia. Our National and State Forests are disjointed mazes and you have to know where you are all the time. People will call the sheriff's office to complain about someone on their land in a heartbeat. There are islands of public lands completely surrounded by private land with no apparent access. This happens sometimes when the the State or US Gov't buys private parcels from willing families when someone croaks. There there are the islands of private lands in a mass of public land owned by a family that has never been wiling to sell.

Here's what a small section of the George Washington Nat'l Forest looks like just south of a section I like to hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a classic example of what OnX can get you. This map is in so. central Idaho. There are a lot elk in this area. The yellow is BLM, the green is state land, the red is private under Idaho's Access Yes program. The IDFG pays landowners to allow hunting and fishing. However, the landowner sets the rules. In this area, you can hunt but no motor vehicles and no overnight camping. To camp off of it, it's a 3 mile hike every day to get to where elk are likely to be and you have to hike back out every night. However, those pieces of public land are open to camping if you can locate them. You can backpack or use pack animals to get in and set up on a parcel of public land and be in the middle of some very good elk country.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto above. OnX delivers in that regard.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have used OnX the past 6 years. Nice to know land ownership.

I have many offline maps loaded. They will work when reception is poor and online OnX won't work.

I will mark waterholes and way points for a 4-5 hour quail hunting loop especially for Mearns quail. Mearns country can have many drainages splitting off, it keeps me going in the right direction. FYI many mearns hotspots get marked as birds in future years will continue to be found in close proximity.

BLM land allows shooting where AZ State Trust Lands do not. I have found tiny patches of BLM in the middle of trust lands where we can practice LR rifle skills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Anyone using OnX on a vehicle navigation unit through Apple/Android Car Play?

Sort of. In addition to OnX on a cellphone, I still also use independent Garmin vehicle GPS units mounted on my dash or windshield. I use the OnX chip in those units. Their are super helpful when driving from public land to public land whether I am antelope hunting, deer hunting, elk hunting or predator hunting. I'll never be without one unless and until OnX stops allowing me to update them. Even then, my ability to identify private ownership information or block management units may be gone; but, the state, national and blm land will still be on my chip.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ended up getting it for Wyoming. Before I headed out I downloaded the walk-in areas. It worked well for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can you purchase just 2 states on elite for the $14.99 each
Or is it just one state for $14.99 or all for $99

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan700mn
Can you purchase just 2 states on elite for the $14.99 each
Or is it just one state for $14.99 or all for $99
You looked at the wrong numbers. The states are 29.99/year each. All states are $99/year which can be paid as 14.99/month. Obviously, you'll nearly double paying by the month.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I've been having trouble with the tracker lately. It locates me correctly but doesn't always show the track. I'm wondering if reloading the app might fix it.

Followup on this problem: I've been in contact with OnX. They made some changes in their tracking software and they have a bug that they're working on. They've been asking me questions about what's happening so they can fix it.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was just wondering if you can do just 2 states for one month then be done till next year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don't have any monthly subscriptions. It's all annual.
If you have a dedicated gps, you can get a chip for about $100/state. It needs to be updated periodically but once every 5 years is probably enough. They don't have satellite, though, just topo. I have a Garmin Montana with a chip that's probably 10 years old. You don't need cell service that way. I like the phone better, though, since it's lighter and more versatile.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a dedicated gps, you can get a chip for about $100/state. It needs to be updated periodically but once every 5 years is probably enough. They don't have satellite, though, just topo. I have a Garmin Montana with a chip that's probably 10 years old. You don't need cell service that way. I like the phone better, though, since it's lighter and more versatile.

Are you referring to the chip when you state "they don't have satellite"? The OnX app definitely has satellite; that's the only view I use.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It gives you their name and address. You can generally google it fairly quick.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

If you’re hunting east of New Castle, you probably are shooting SD elk. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks rock chuck
That answers my question.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

I've had a onX Montana chip in my Garmin GPS for about five years now. Montana is a little different than some other states, since their Block Management program pays landowners to allow public hunting--but the properties which sign up for Block Management vary from year to year.
As a result I update it every year when the new BM info is available.

When I first got the GPS and onX chip I could take it back to the local store where I bought it and have them update the chip, but three years ago onX changed its policy, and I had to go on their website to update. It wasn't hard, but the next year they automatically updated it and notified me via e-mail, charging the same $29.99. Same deal this year, which is pretty handy in situations like Montana's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Are you referring to the chip when you state "they don't have satellite"? The OnX app definitely has satellite; that's the only view I use.
Yeah, the chip. You can get Birdseye to download satellite for specific areas but costs another $30/yr.

― George Orwell

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have the elite and when I joined you could put up to four people on the account so the son-in-law’s on mine. It works well being from different states as I can see everything he does with it and coach him along from a distance. He can see everything I do as well. It works great as a scouting tool and figuring out how to get into a area without boots on the ground.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dork X is no longer on my phone. There are better options. Fug those guys.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wyoelk

What is better ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by wyoelk

What is better ?

Gaia

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.