Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone using OnX on a vehicle navigation unit through Apple/Android Car Play?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
How much does the subscription cost?
$29/yr for 1 state, $99/yr for 50 states.

What I find to be hard is deciding what maps to download in advance for offline use. It seems that I'm constantly finding myself in an area with no cell coverage and I don't have room on my phone to save a huge area. They won't save to an SD card. You need room in the internal storage. Last week we spend several nights in a state park in WA. There was cell coverage in towns on both sides of us but none in the park. It was hard to plan the next day's activities with no maps to look at in the evenings.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is one of the reasons I still keep books of BLM maps of the areas I plant to hunt or visit. While no longer being offered my Kirsch mapping on the GPS is always working unless there is no sat. service.

I have loose leaf binders with BLM maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, CO, AZ and NM plus Public lands maps book for N. WI. Again I'm not a big game hunter but coyotes and birds so I'm moving all through the day and it is really nice to be able to sit in camp with a paper map and lay out a travel route for the next day and then use the truck mounted GPS with a public lands chip to determine property lines while hunting.

I really need to get an unlimited wifi plan for my phone so the computer with OnX can be used on the road.

Last edited by erich; 08/30/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a pretty decent tool. The ownership records for private lots is pretty hit or miss in my experience. I use OnX for work a lot as a private woodlot forester. As someone that spends a lot of time in tax commitment books, OnX is spotty. The parcel lines in the app are only as good as the tax maps from which they digitize from. But it gets you the parcel lines in your hands easily and the public land stuff is very spot on.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by erich
That is one of the reasons I still keep books of BLM maps of the areas I plant to hunt or visit. While no longer being offered my Kirsch mapping on the GPS is always working unless there is no sat. service.

I have loose leaf binders with BLM maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, CO, AZ and NM plus Public lands maps book for N. WI. Again I'm not a big game hunter but coyotes and birds so I'm moving all through the day and it is really nice to be able to sit in camp with a paper map and lay out a travel route for the next day and then use the truck mounted GPS with a public lands chip to determine property lines while hunting.

I really need to get an unlimited wifi plan for my phone so the computer with OnX can be used on the road.

always have a good detailed paper maps, gazetteer as back up to onyx. Great app

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Due to the lack of cell service in a lot of the places I frequent, I find it to be handier on my Garmin 650 Rhino. I do like the off line maps on the cell phone, and the desk top.
It also comes in handy around the ranch when planning out water lines, fences etc.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's a great tool. Use the tracker function every time you go out. Really helps you navigate. And as mentioned before you need to download area maps before you go if the cell coverage isn't there. Run on airplane mode to save your battery.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ON X is good but not extremely accurate. for instance it showsmy property line running through my living room. which is very inconsistant with tax maps and survey pins

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mbhunt
It's a great tool. Use the tracker function every time you go out. Really helps you navigate. And as mentioned before you need to download area maps before you go if the cell coverage isn't there. Run on airplane mode to save your battery.
I've been having trouble with the tracker lately. It locates me correctly but doesn't always show the track. I'm wondering if reloading the app might fix it.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used it since before the name change 10 years ago. We hunt some areas right up against private where the rancher calls if you get within 100 yards of his property line. This is an excellent way to keep out of trouble & find new access to public when scouting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone used it in Kansas, or another state, which has a private land WIHA access program?

I'm just wondering if it has all the WIHA land boundaries marked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use On X, too. I need it. Our state and National Forests have jagged boundaries and exist in broken tracts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have large chunks of BLM and Nat Forest land with partial sections of private land scattered around through them, usually surrounding a spring but sometimes being just a rock pile. I can't explain how some of those pieces ever got claimed. Likewise, there are huge chunks of private land with pieces of public land in them, often with no public access. Anyway, even federal employees don't know where the boundaries are without some kind of instruments to locate them. OnX is a big help.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have large chunks of BLM and Nat Forest land with partial sections of private land scattered around through them, usually surrounding a spring but sometimes being just a rock pile. I can't explain how some of those pieces ever got claimed. Likewise, there are huge chunks of private land with pieces of public land in them, often with no public access. Anyway, even federal employees don't know where the boundaries are without some kind of instruments to locate them. OnX is a big help.

Same in Virginia. Our National and State Forests are disjointed mazes and you have to know where you are all the time. People will call the sheriff's office to complain about someone on their land in a heartbeat. There are islands of public lands completely surrounded by private land with no apparent access. This happens sometimes when the the State or US Gov't buys private parcels from willing families when someone croaks. There there are the islands of private lands in a mass of public land owned by a family that has never been wiling to sell.

Here's what a small section of the George Washington Nat'l Forest looks like just south of a section I like to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a classic example of what OnX can get you. This map is in so. central Idaho. There are a lot elk in this area. The yellow is BLM, the green is state land, the red is private under Idaho's Access Yes program. The IDFG pays landowners to allow hunting and fishing. However, the landowner sets the rules. In this area, you can hunt but no motor vehicles and no overnight camping. To camp off of it, it's a 3 mile hike every day to get to where elk are likely to be and you have to hike back out every night. However, those pieces of public land are open to camping if you can locate them. You can backpack or use pack animals to get in and set up on a parcel of public land and be in the middle of some very good elk country.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto above. OnX delivers in that regard.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have used OnX the past 6 years. Nice to know land ownership.

I have many offline maps loaded. They will work when reception is poor and online OnX won't work.

I will mark waterholes and way points for a 4-5 hour quail hunting loop especially for Mearns quail. Mearns country can have many drainages splitting off, it keeps me going in the right direction. FYI many mearns hotspots get marked as birds in future years will continue to be found in close proximity.

BLM land allows shooting where AZ State Trust Lands do not. I have found tiny patches of BLM in the middle of trust lands where we can practice LR rifle skills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Anyone using OnX on a vehicle navigation unit through Apple/Android Car Play?

Sort of. In addition to OnX on a cellphone, I still also use independent Garmin vehicle GPS units mounted on my dash or windshield. I use the OnX chip in those units. Their are super helpful when driving from public land to public land whether I am antelope hunting, deer hunting, elk hunting or predator hunting. I'll never be without one unless and until OnX stops allowing me to update them. Even then, my ability to identify private ownership information or block management units may be gone; but, the state, national and blm land will still be on my chip.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ended up getting it for Wyoming. Before I headed out I downloaded the walk-in areas. It worked well for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,906
Posts18,479,425
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.