Print Thread
Hop To
D
DeWman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I bought a NIB classic featherweight model 70 in 7mm-08 made in 1994.Put a scope on it and have fired 4 rds to line it out then put it up. A friend of mine seen it the other day and remarked how nice it looked then he asked if it was unused because of all the problems they had. My question is , what problems? Can't find anything on line of help. Is there something I need to look for.If I didn't already have another 7mm-08 I've used since '89 I would be shooting this one.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some were quite good out of the box and some were a box of parts. I’ve seen more good ones than parts Guns though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 4 mid 90's Classics and all function and shoot quite well. I did change stocks on one but that was about it. I am sure there are a few real clunkers and a few outstanding rifles out of the box. The way social media works though only the clunkers and the extensively re-tuned rifles get discussed in depth making it seem that they are the norm not the exception.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Some were quite good out of the box and some were a box of parts. I’ve seen more good ones than parts Guns though.

The early classics like the op has, very seldom had any issues. It was the latter ones that had some issues like scope mount alignment issues from improperly drilled and tapped receiver bridges. Although, some of the latter ones had better extractors. I believe they went to williams extractors, which were better than the mim extractors. The early to mid 2000's WSM's had some issues like oval or out of round chambers, due to over torqueing the barrels on and not enough meat in the shank. Redneck can probably fill us in on everything he's seen from all era's of the model 70... I've had many classics (5, 6 and 7 digit) and never any issues with any of them. I'm just lucky that way, I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DeWman
I bought a NIB classic featherweight model 70 in 7mm-08 made in 1994.Put a scope on it and have fired 4 rds to line it out then put it up. A friend of mine seen it the other day and remarked how nice it looked then he asked if it was unused because of all the problems they had. My question is , what problems?
Tell your friend he's full of chit... And I bet he's a Rem 700 fan......

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
I bought a NIB classic featherweight model 70 in 7mm-08 made in 1994.Put a scope on it and have fired 4 rds to line it out then put it up. A friend of mine seen it the other day and remarked how nice it looked then he asked if it was unused because of all the problems they had. My question is , what problems?

Exactly^^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
DeWman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thank you much for your input fellas. My pal isn't strictly a 700 fan, he swaps guns so often, up, down, sideways irregardless of make or model that I couldn't tell you how his mind functions. I like the rifle much and have 4 different factory loads to try as I want to make this the main deer whacker for my family come this fall. Again, thank you & stay safe.
🦌👀+⚡️=🍔

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thank you much for your input fellas. My pal isn't strictly a 700 fan, he swaps guns so often, up, down, sideways irregardless of make or model that I couldn't tell you how his mind functions. I like the rifle much and have 4 different factory loads to try as I want to make this the main deer whacker for my family come this fall. Again, thank you & stay safe.
🦌👀+⚡️=🍔

Your rifle will work great. There are a lot of guys that would love to have an early classic fwt chambered in 7mm08. Really that is a do it all rifle that the whole family can handle. Excellent rifle and cartridge..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
🦌👀+⚡️=🍔

Your rifle will work great. There are a lot of guys that would love to have an early classic fwt chambered in 7mm08. Really that is a do it all rifle that the whole family can handle. Excellent rifle and cartridge..

Heck yes! Count me as one of them.

Semper Fi
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm firmly with the majority here. Rumor mill, hype & gripe! Always some few legitimate 'problems'. Look at our automakers & recalls! So, of course, there can always be problems! But here, we're not talking Remington era Marlins! The "Classic" Winchester genre, similar to the 'pre '64 genre in 'principal' design elements, have a substantial happy heritage unaffected by the early 'post era' pushfeed horrors. My strong belief, Winchester quality control by USRA era forward, quite good over a decade before the rifle in question! My '99 vintage Classic Compact in 7mm08, feeds just fine with its factory ammo diet.
Typically, never to know ultimately about any particular gun until you've road tested it yourself with decent ammo!
Don't worry, be happy you have that Win rifle!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 08/27/21.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

What's this Remington 700 you speak of? grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

laugh laugh

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

What's this Remington 700 you speak of? grin

A brand of toilet paper?

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It's the worst. Quickly sell it to me before you waste your time with all the "problems"!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have one such Millennium manufacture. "70 Classic Compact" Great rifle. Working ok for me. I've not heard of any particular trouble. Of the replies above, I'll go with the "squeaky wheel" diagnosis. Some numbers, as even quality widgets, with problems real and perceived. Those getting the publicity. Vast majority serving well; unheralded. Perhaps only "accuracy" the most often heard complaint. That itself subject to so many factors, external & internal; mechanical, optical, human factors... Truly complex!
I'd not stop to sweat the rumors. Determine how yours behaves and go from there; typically relaxing!
Just my take
Joh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Though no 7mm-08’s, I have several stainless New Haven Classics throughout the the G serial number ranges. No issues whether 5,6, or 7 numerals. I am sure you can catch a bad one. Same with any factory rifles and and an occasional custom one.
I really like the New Haven Classics.

I bought a NIB classic featherweight model 70 in 7mm-08 made in 1994.Put a scope on it and have fired 4 rds to line it out then put it up. A friend of mine seen it the other day and remarked how nice it looked then he asked if it was unused because of all the problems they had. My question is , what problems? Can't find anything on line of help. Is there something I need to look for.If I didn't already have another 7mm-08 I've used since '89 I would be shooting this one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,096
Posts18,502,011
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.