Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 39 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 38 39
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
That's a nice deer! This thread's getting a bit too long, so I thought I could summarize some of the alternatives to the .270 and perhaps we leave it at that.

6.5 Creedmore - needs a bit more capacity to push those very long 140 grain projectiles a bit faster for hunting
6.5 PRC - better than the Creedmore, but really needs a long action, probably better to neck down to .257 and use 110-120 grain bullets in a short action
.270 Win - ideal cross sectional area, good trajectory and velocity, excellent sectional density and good b.c. especially with 140 grain bullets, mild recoil and muzzle blast , easy to shoot well, works best with 130 and 140 grain projectiles, kills superbly
.280 Rem - 140 grain bullet not as good as .277 140 grain bullet, doesn't push the 150 grain bullet fast enough
.280 Improved - a little better than .280, RCBS version may sometimes feed better than Ackley version
.284 Win - heavier bullets eat into powder capacity when used in short action, rebated rim
7mm Rem Mag - slightly better performance than .270 on larger game at the cost of more recoil, muzzle blast, less magazine capacity
.30-06 - excellent for larger game especially with 180 grain bullets, not as mild to shoot as .270, harder to shoot as accurately as the .270 at longer distances

😆

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think I should keep this thread going.
As usual, it is peppered with nonsense, folks that have not used in the .270 wcf in the field , data without real life experience is pretty much useless.
It will always been my default chambering, not because of any hype but what it has proven to me.
In hunting conditions, and specifically in the Western mountains it meets all challenges, especially these days with what is available to enhance it.
Also, it will chamber and extract well, provide the real stuff down range and can be put into a short , light, carbine style rifle. Ideal for Sheep hunting and can proficiently tip a Bull Elk over when needed.
I have been at this for decades .
Hey you can fast twist it if you like but long range hunting doesn't wash well with the sheep hunter, he will evaluate the ram and this done best a closer ranges.
If a ram is 1/8" short , and you ground check him ,this will result in a fine and your name in the paper.
We hunt sheep in the general open season and therefore no secrets, folks ( there are horn restrictions). Get close enough to know what your shooting at. This is reality here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That's a nice deer! This thread's getting a bit too long, so I thought I could summarize some of the alternatives to the .270 and perhaps we leave it at that.

6.5 Creedmore - needs a bit more capacity to push those very long 140 grain projectiles a bit faster for hunting
6.5 PRC - better than the Creedmore, but really needs a long action, probably better to neck down to .257 and use 110-120 grain bullets in a short action
.270 Win - ideal cross sectional area, good trajectory and velocity, excellent sectional density and good b.c. especially with 140 grain bullets, mild recoil and muzzle blast , easy to shoot well, works best with 130 and 140 grain projectiles, kills superbly
.280 Rem - 140 grain bullet not as good as .277 140 grain bullet, doesn't push the 150 grain bullet fast enough
.280 Improved - a little better than .280, RCBS version may sometimes feed better than Ackley version
.284 Win - heavier bullets eat into powder capacity when used in short action, rebated rim
7mm Rem Mag - slightly better performance than .270 on larger game at the cost of more recoil, muzzle blast, less magazine capacity
.30-06 - excellent for larger game especially with 180 grain bullets, not as mild to shoot as .270, harder to shoot as accurately as the .270 at longer distances

😆

Since when has a thread on any cartridge had so
many attempts to derail or misdirect to
OTHER cartridges.

I think I’ll sit on the sidlines and be prepared to
disrupt threads on the new ‘gayboy’ Cartridge.

I remind you NO ONE requested to summarize
and attempt to shorten or end this discussion.

Goose.....Gander.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/26/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

😆

+1

Last edited by WhelenAway; 08/26/21.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
puah
Just for clarity and accuracy, whistle

you said, "Kind of like my friends who are twin brothers - James and Gino. James is older by 5 min. He will always be the older brother.
The .280 has a greater case capacity and higher BC bullet. Like James, the .280 is the older brother."

The Remington 280, aka 7mm=06 was 'introduced' in 1957... goggle it whistle

The 270 Winchester was unveiled in 1925... goggle it too laugh

Do you have trouble with math? grin

Just saying. Your Friend wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've come to expect the shocking and absolute ballistic ignorance of the .270 shooters - after all, if they knew even a little about ballistics, they wouldn't be .270 shooters. The inferior BC of .277 projectiles is caused by the need to support the incorrectly chosen 1:10" twist rate. For light projectiles, it makes no difference and .277 and .284 will be the same. So if you're hunting deer the size of a small dog in a 20y clearing back east, congratulations - the .270 is for you. For the rest of us, it sucks. For heavy projectiles, using the wrong twist rate means medium to heavy .277 bullets must either use high-drag short profiles, or aren't possible at all. For example, here at the BCs of the .277 and .284 partitions. The 160gr .277 is forced to be a semi-roundnose, and there is no .277 equivalent of the 175gr .284 partition because it wouldn't stabilize in the slower twist .270.

You'll see the exact same pattern in other .277 projectiles unless they're for for fast-twist rifles like the 27 Nosler and 6.8 Western. Those both fix the issues with the .270 and are reasonable cartridges, albeit with limited bullet selections which still makes them practically inferior to the 28 Nosler and 7mm WSM, although that's not the cartridge designer's fault for once.

The problem here is BC doesn't kill and we ain't banging steel at 1000 yards. There's plenty of weight for anything anyone needs to hunt with it at ranges 99% of hunters are killing stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets matter more than headstamps and due that,the 270 simply sucks ass. Fhuqktards will never savvy,which never ain't not funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Pardon BC mattering more than a wee bit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's Laughing At You TWIG..... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
jsquall,

I am VERY "surprised",that despite professing Imaginary Pretend Ignore,you wish to yet again reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Ain't it a hoot,that even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,knows better than to even try and talk anything The Rifle?!? Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

P.S. and by the way,do not forget,that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reckon some fellas can’t go cry to their wife, their dad or their brothers cause they were told by said relatives to STFU and go on…

I reckon he’ll have to go pout to mom again about how he can’t cipher out how a .270 works.

Nor could he strike a match with a flame thrower.

I reckon a fella that can’t use a .270, he’d say it’s a failure.

I reckon a fella that can however use a .270, Well…He’s too busy hauling meat out to fuss about BC’s to his momma or the deaf guy at the bar…

I reckon we could all find weaknesses in something.

I reckon some fellas find it in themselves.

Carry on gentleman..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by M1Garand

The problem here is BC doesn't kill <blather>

No, it determines wind deflection and retained velocity which are both critical to A) how far one can shoot accurately in unknown wind and B) what bullet terminal performance looks like when it gets there

Accurate shots and terminal performance are what kill. So while BC doesn't directly kill, it determines both things that do.

The difference between a .270 and a superior cartridge is obvious to any competent western hunter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

The difference between a .270 and a superior cartridge is obvious to any competent western hunter.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And .270 fangirls continue to be super sensitive about their inferior cartridge laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

REDUX

[quote=gunnut308][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
jsquall,

I am VERY "surprised",that despite professing Imaginary Pretend Ignore,you wish to yet again reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Ain't it a hoot,that even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,knows better than to even try and talk anything The Rifle?!? Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

P.S. and by the way,do not forget,that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

+1 Jerry might tell you that he didn't give you permission to say that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

How wide is the inside spread on that dude. Looks darn near 20-22" at least.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Well I’m a Western hunter who has managed to put Bambi in the freezer every year hunting all the major biomes of Alberta including the slightly breezy SE Alberta, think north central Montana for those who know the area.

Yes sleek bullets REALLY matter past a certain distance, no one with even a modicum of knowledge on ballistics would dispute the fact. I do not shoot at game at distances where the super high BC is critical. I don’t have the inclination nor do I think I have developed the skills.

Selecting the perfect projectile / cartridge combination is a significantly different event than picking something; fun, meaningful, interesting or new.

JWall (a reasonable polite gentleman from what I have seen) related his story of the .300 WM.

I have related the story of two old rifles I kept from the junk heap that I hunted with, one of which was hunted with the original partially yellowed bushnell command post scope from the early 70s as way of honouring the former owner. It launched the “ping pong ball” 150 grain .30-06 blue box federal. It groups at best 1.5 moa, 1.8 is more the norm. It still killed deer on the SE Alberta plains.

My brother one year again on the SE Alberta plains hunted with our fathers early 50s vintage 94 Winchester with iron sights. Bambi died with one shot.

The .270 and any other legal cartridge / arrow within its limitations and those of the hunter is fine for hunting.

One more time for me to make my point is clear within the limitations of the device and the user any legal device is just fine, not perfect or ideal.

This is an online chat where we can have some fun, share our knowledge, experiences, stories and perspectives. I hunt with all kinds of stuff, some of it crap by modern standards, I ain’t asking you to and I didn’t see anyone else suggesting one must hunt the .270.

Thanks to all y’all who kept this interesting and fun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To reply to the deleted post about putting a fast twist barrel on a .270 and using the heavy high b.c. bullets, the SAAMI throat is too long to be able to seat near the lands and stay within magazine length (unless you have a long magazine)...a short throat reamer is needed.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/27/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fascinating,that Fhuqktards swoon a freezer load of Freezer Burned Dog Schit and "think" that Stupidity is a fhuqking "choice"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I simply shoot it all and then some,to an extent that very few can even begin to fathom. If only to the chagrin of Crying Karens everywhere,bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Now as headstamps go,the 270 is a heaping pile of schitty concession,due the fact there are no good bullets for the bore size. None of which is subjective. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

270 "performance" is simply bested in chamberings of less case capacity,that reap rewards less concession(s). I realize that is a rather bitter pill to Drooling Fhuqktards and that oblivious humor never wanes in it's grandeur. Hint.

I rather enjoy how the mere mention of "BC" will paralyze a Crying Karen,mid tear. That despite EVERY fhuqking projectile having a BC value and the fact that the spectrum is rather large and certainly not "equal" nor close. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

BC starts to work before the projectile even leaves the muzzle. That constant,reliably confounds you Drooling Fhuqktards and is never not funnier than fhuqk. Starting velocity,assuredly is NOT impact velocity,but BC is that which contributes to same. The higher the BC,the less velocity is lost at 10yds,100yds and/or 1000yds++. One need'nt trade anything away,to reap same and that too confounds Melting Snowflakes. BC kills like a Dirty Rotten Bastard,as it guides Terminal Effects. All projectiles setting on the counter top,have like lethality(none),get them moving and things change(drastically). BC in and of itself,is the glue that retains said movement. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Here's to the "unfair" "advantage" you Drooling Fhuqktards have,in not being forced to "act" STUPID,but in just doing your very fhuqking BEST. Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Did I mention jsquall was/is a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit?!?

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To reply to the deleted post about putting a fast twist barrel on a .270 and using the heavy high b.c. bullets, the SAAMI throat is too long to be able to seat near the lands and stay within magazine length...a short throat reamer is needed.

Wondered about that.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 15 of 39 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,107
Posts18,522,570
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.