I think I should keep this thread going.
As usual, it is peppered with nonsense, folks that have not used in the .270 wcf in the field , data without real life experience is pretty much useless.
It will always been my default chambering, not because of any hype but what it has proven to me.
In hunting conditions, and specifically in the Western mountains it meets all challenges, especially these days with what is available to enhance it.
Also, it will chamber and extract well, provide the real stuff down range and can be put into a short , light, carbine style rifle. Ideal for Sheep hunting and can proficiently tip a Bull Elk over when needed.
I have been at this for decades .
Hey you can fast twist it if you like but long range hunting doesn't wash well with the sheep hunter, he will evaluate the ram and this done best a closer ranges.
If a ram is 1/8" short , and you ground check him ,this will result in a fine and your name in the paper.
We hunt sheep in the general open season and therefore no secrets, folks ( there are horn restrictions). Get close enough to know what your shooting at. This is reality here.