Originally Posted by GRF
Jordan!!!

What’s this polite reasonable conversation you are engaging in!?!? Gads man where’s the invective? The veiled profanity!? 😃

Quoting Jordan here

We’re just discussing slight but real advantages one way or the other. When you get past 300 meters, as can occur quite often in the open terrain of the West, the advantage becomes greater.

Sometimes the bullet you want isn’t readily available, regardless of how many high-BC options exist in the caliber in question. More alternatives means a better chance of finding another option that shoots well in your rifle, and is available. “

Along with other, reasonable, well thought out and calculated comments (if I recall Jordan has more than a couple of physics courses under his belt, that’s why his posts have math and mine just have blather 😃) Jordan and others have hit the mail on the head.

The .270 WCF is a cartridge with limitations there are better choices as ranges get longer. The 6.5 PRC or the 6.5 -.284 family of cartridges will give you all the velocity of the .270 with a slicker bullet and the same or lower recoil (assuming the same “platform” is used) Does that mean the .270 sucks and those that use are fools and heathens? No it means we have assessed (hopefully we have done the assessing) our needs, skills and personal requirements and have chosen a tool which suits those needs. Jordan’s slight but real comment comes into play in some cases the slight advantage is not sufficient enough in my situation to justify the change.

That being said we are truly blessed to have so much choice! Hopefully y’all in the USA can eject another republican so the component shortage will allow better selection.

I myself have in the rifle locker rifles chambered for modern cartridges designed for slick bullets and some for archaic designs. I enjoy them all. I hunt with different rifles for a variety of reasons often sentimental or emotional, I know full well I have handicapped myself by the choice but don’t care.

I once took a late 40s vintage Brno (with bluing and wood finish that totally suck in the rain) that barely exceeded 2300 FPS with 200 gr Nosler Partition to hunt caribou in the central barren grounds of the
You don’t need a bullet approaching 180 gr to get a meaningful increase in BC over the mid-weight bullets in .277” with BC of ~0.5. For example, the 6.5 CM 147 gr ELD-M factory load has G1 BC of 0.697 and ~10% less wind drift than the .270 Win 145 gr ELD-X factory load at 300 meters. Said 147 gr load can easily be zeroed for MPBR of over 300 meters, and has even milder recoil than the .270 Win. To be clear, both cartridges obviously work great for 300 yard shots. We’re just discussing slight but real advantages one way or the other. When you get past 300 meters, as can occur quite often in the open terrain of the West, the advantage becomes greater.

Sometimes the bullet you want isn’t readily available, regardless of how many high-BC options exist in the caliber in question. More alternatives means a better chance of finding another option that shoots well in your rifle, and is available. NWT. Not a wise choice but a fun choice. It did create a very real series of limitations, ones I was aware of, understood, accepted and dealt with.

As gun owners, shooters and hunters we all have enough enemies outside of the sport without making more inside it.

Jordan my friend thanks for your reasonable input into this conversation, for the most parts it’s been fun, interesting and informative.

George,

Seems that polite, reasonable conversation is something you're guilty of, as well! grin

It's funny you mention physics. I'm currently working with the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab folks at Caltech as a visiting researcher for a few weeks. Super interesting and fun stuff! At least to me it is! grin

I agree with you 100%. Discussing ballistic science and technical advantages is one thing, but as 'Loonies" sometimes we like to play with other rifles even though we know full-well that they are ballistically disadvantaged compared to the state of the art. Last fall, for example, I carried Grandpa's old Win 88 in .308 Win with Leup M7 4x a few times while chasing WT, and the Marlin 336 Texan in .30-30 with Williams ghost sight gets to play on occasion, too. But if I'm hunting a high-stakes tag and want every last advantage, I know what I'm taking in the field, and it's not either of the aforementioned rifles.

It's good to "hear" from you, my friend. Take care!