Well I’m a Western hunter who has managed to put Bambi in the freezer every year hunting all the major biomes of Alberta including the slightly breezy SE Alberta, think north central Montana for those who know the area.

Yes sleek bullets REALLY matter past a certain distance, no one with even a modicum of knowledge on ballistics would dispute the fact. I do not shoot at game at distances where the super high BC is critical. I don’t have the inclination nor do I think I have developed the skills.

Selecting the perfect projectile / cartridge combination is a significantly different event than picking something; fun, meaningful, interesting or new.

JWall (a reasonable polite gentleman from what I have seen) related his story of the .300 WM.

I have related the story of two old rifles I kept from the junk heap that I hunted with, one of which was hunted with the original partially yellowed bushnell command post scope from the early 70s as way of honouring the former owner. It launched the “ping pong ball” 150 grain .30-06 blue box federal. It groups at best 1.5 moa, 1.8 is more the norm. It still killed deer on the SE Alberta plains.

My brother one year again on the SE Alberta plains hunted with our fathers early 50s vintage 94 Winchester with iron sights. Bambi died with one shot.

The .270 and any other legal cartridge / arrow within its limitations and those of the hunter is fine for hunting.

One more time for me to make my point is clear within the limitations of the device and the user any legal device is just fine, not perfect or ideal.

This is an online chat where we can have some fun, share our knowledge, experiences, stories and perspectives. I hunt with all kinds of stuff, some of it crap by modern standards, I ain’t asking you to and I didn’t see anyone else suggesting one must hunt the .270.

Thanks to all y’all who kept this interesting and fun.