Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Why would anyone get excited about the .280 RCBS improved when we've standardized on the AI? It's a decent cartridge, but no one should be getting into an RCBS unless it's at a serious discount at this point. And no, the shoulder angle doesn't determine if it feeds well in a bolt action. Either feeds fine.

You have to be pretty concerned about recoil to prefer a .280 to a 28 Nosler. At short range it doesn't make much difference, but for the western hunter it sure does.
The wide shoulder which is forward and sharp 40 degree angle does sometimes cause feeding issues in some rifles. You'd be putting the rifle together, not buying a factory rifle. I said light recoil in a light rifle... I don't class the 28 Nosler as light recoiling even though its a good cartridge.

I guess I don't see the recoil of any smallbore magnum as worth talking about for adult male shooters. You never even notice it when shooting in the field. Of the 3 or 4 rifles I might shoot an elk with, the 28 Nosler (in a "normal" weight rifle) is the lowest recoil and most reach. The others offer more stopping rifle capability for bears and/or heavy timber use.

If the 28 Nosler is too much, short actions like the 7mmWSM start looking good.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 08/31/21.