Rainier; lots of bashers tend not use that which they bash. I’ve had a life long dislike for the .30-06, despite only have fired a few at the range. Never hunted with one, or any other .308 for decades, despite having multiple cartridges in .277, .284, .311, .323.

Bracketing the .30-06 in size and velocity, never using it. Knowing full well that my dislike of the .30-06 was completely irrational.

Then one day a land owner in RSA had a sick kudu cow he wanted put down. He gave me his old Musgrave (Mauser clone) in .30-06 with an ancient scope with yellowed glass and ancient unknown soft point ammo with a nice new shiny suppressor (that was cool as suppressors are banned in Canada since the 1920s IIRC). At the shot, betwixt the eyes as requested by the land owner the cow got “Popeyes” and fell over dead.

Hot damn the .30-06 worked!

A year or two later I was given an old JC Higgins model 51 (?) with the HVA action in .30-06. The gun was never abused but very heavily used and needed work far in excess of the value of the rifle. Keeping rifles out of the junk heap is thing of mine.

Hundreds of dollars and many many hours later the gun was ready.

Shock of shocks with 150 grain federal blue box ammunition it dropped dear real fast! That hated .30-06 sure works. 😃

There are definitely pure facts operating against the .270 as mentioned above, which is why I also own; .243, .260, 6.5 PRC, 7-08, .30-06, .303 British, 8x57, a .325 WSM to spin onto the 6.5 PRC should the urge stroke me, a .375 H&H and a .45-70 just to fill in any shortcomings the .270 may have.

Thanks to all who are joining the conversation, it’s been informative, fun and reasonable.