Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'm not familiar with the concept of "high BC rifles," could you please elaborate? Is there a book or a table somewhere that I can use to look up my rifle's BC?

You're a blithering moron. That is all.

If serious- It's okay not to known things- we've all been there.

There's really no such thing as a high BC rifle.

Every bullet has a ballistic coefficient which is a number that describes how aerodynamic that bullet is.

Manufacturers list this number.

Having a bullet that's heavier proportionate to its diameter is usually much more slippery through the air.

For instance - 110 grain 30 cal = low BC
But a 110 grain 6mm will typically have a higher BC, assuming it's designed well.

The reason the 30 cals kinda suck is that you've got to get really really heavy before the bullet is slippery (215-225).

Heavy takes more powder to go fast.
More powder + more heavy = more recoil. Recoil makes it more hard to hit things (even for a chainsaw totin manly man).

Therefore less diameter means more heavy means more slippery means easier to hit with.

The endgame is striking the perfect balance between the slipperiest bullet + the least powder + your willingness to compromise logistics (barrel life, etc) + Being able to go 1800fps at max killing distance.

Unless you actually want to kill things at a mile (if you have to ask, you ain't got tha chops), the answer is probably a heavy 22 cal, or if you're a pussy, a low-powder 6mm.

If you're culturally indoctrinated to shoot big guns, a 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty okay too.

Some good options are 223, 223ai, 223 grendel, 22BR or 22 Creedmoor shooting 75 or 88 ELDMs.

If you think need a 6mm, shoot a 6x45 (which = 270), 6 arc, 6 BR, or 6 Creedmoor with 105 BTHP or 108 ELDM.

Pick the one that has the least powder to go 1800fps at the distance you want to kill large mammals at, and that you have the logistics to accommodate.

Hornady bullets are cheap, so you'll shoot more of them and that means you'll hit more things. Shoot horny bullets.

Shoot match bullets because you can more easily steer them into the target (which is 99% of the equation) and they're designed to kill mammals but manufacturers can't admit it for politics and whatnot.

A 75 ELDM will kill elk at 600 yards easily.

And there's the TLDR of Stick's gospel (which I espouse, myself), with a pinch of form mixed in.

There, I saved you a thousand hours of reading on here and rokslide.

Last edited by CaptArab; 08/31/21.