Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

But there is also an objective element where we can determine and compare the qualities and attributes of a particular choice against another.

I suppose I'm mostly drawn to the objective assessments and comparisons, and factual information,

but I understand that other guys may come here to discuss preferences and taste. That's probably why some of us try to stick to facts and data, while others get emotional and take/give offense.

Jordan, I am not being smart, hateful, or critical. Here's but a sample of the 'facts' or 'data' contained in this discussion.

Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=jwall][quote=Riflehunter]I ran the figures for the 6.5 CM 147 grain moly-coated match projectile using the temperature stable load of H4350 mentioned earlier by Jordan

Sighted in 3" high at 100 yards it drops at 350 yards 10.1" ...10 mph drift 6.3".

The .270 140 grain TGK hunting bullet drops 5.8" drift 7.7", the .270 130 grain Classic Hunter Berger at 3100 drops 5.1"... drift 7.4".

So the .270 has far less drop (4.3" and 5") with the hunting bullets mentioned than the 147 grain match bullet in 6.5, but the 6.5 147g match bullet has 1.4" less wind drift than the 140 Tipped GameKing and 1.1" less wind-drift than the .270 Berger 130 Classic Hunter.

...The .270 bullet also has 10% more cross-sectional area for a bigger wound channel.

These numbers 'prove' the relationship between the 6.5 C vs.270 Win. out to 350/400 yds.
I also posted that is has been demonstrated (in an earlier thread) that it takes + 500 yds for the 6.5 C to CATCH the
trajectory of the 270 Win.

I feel that some need to know FACTS and DATA in the real world. I repeat, " I will take a 400 yd advantage every day".

No offense is intended nor implied.

Jerry

Jerry,

No offense taken. Let me tell you which of the 'facts' presented there matter most to me:

1. Wind drift.
2. Wind drift.
3. Drop. I like to be able to point and shoot out to about 275 meters.

I'll tell you which of the 'facts' matter the least to me:

1. A 10% increase in cross-sectional area.
2. Slight differences in drop.
3. Any assumed and unsubstantiated difference in terminal performance between the 140 TGK and the 147 ELD.

So because of my priorities, I prefer the performance of the 6.5 CM and 147 ELD. SIDE NOTE: RH mentioned earlier that my load exceeds Hodgdon's data, but a cursory glance will show the obvious, which is that Hodgdon doesn't have data for the moly-coated version of the bullet.