Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I am really enjoying this
Thread
As a
Lifelong 270 basher I canโ€™t help but grin at all
The ballistic proof yet the track record and the 270 must not hav got the memo. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Back a few pages there was a debate about who developed it even claiming to be China. Could be I donโ€™t know
But what hasnโ€™t been discussed was the predessor by none other than Charles Newton his 256. Old hunting stories in the book of the rifle lots of hunters had high praise for it
No doubt Winchester Iโ€™m sure was paying attention just made a copy a tad bigger. To call there own

It seems that people are using terms .270 Win and the .277 bore interchangeably. There's absolutely no truth that China developed the .270 Win. China was using a .277 bore (so what!) on completely different cases (to the .270 Win.) apparently developed by Mauser which was German, around when Winchester was developing a cartridge on the same diameter bore. But as discussed further back in the thread, no one has any evidence that Winchester copied the use of the same size bore from China or from Mauser. And even if they did (which is not admitted), we are talking about a hole size, not a cartridge. As previously mentioned, .277 (the true 7mm) when converted to metric is 7.0 mm to one decimal place. There was lots of experimenting around the world at the time trying to determine the optimum bore diameter. It would not be unusual for two different countries to independently come up with the same bore diameter as ideal, especially when that bore diameter in metric equates to 7.0 mm. How often in science do two scientists working independently both discover the same thing at around the same time, yet there was no copying? The .256 Newton is effectively a .30-06 necked down to .264 and is even further away from the .270 than the .280. "270 (sic) basher" implies that you were successful in your attempts to "bash" .270 owners. I have not seen any successful attempts at bashing .270 owners....just the same non-sense saying that there are no good b.c. .277 bullets which is false, and propagating the fiction that long heavy bullets with high b.c.'s are better at short to medium range as opposed to medium weight bullets with good b.c.'s for their weight. If those long-range " internet hunters" want to use heavy for caliber high b.c. bullets in .277, then they can, and use 7.5 to 8 twist barrels which are available. Don't mention the 7.5 to 8 twist barrels because that would destroy their other falsehood, that the .277 bore only comes in 10 twist. Now is there any need to repeat all this in 50 postings time?