Originally Posted by lapua6547
Just for shiitts and giggles I googled this:

What distance are most deer shot?
Mostly, whitetails are killed at 100 yards or less and mule deer at 200 and under, but every once in a while, you will want to take a shot at truly long range–300 and 400 yards.Aug 1, 2004

puah, we are friends and I'm not shooting at you. grin

I do understand averages but I'm not concerned about the average for all hunters/shooters. I prep for myself.
Most of my deer have been killed less than 200 yds and some less than 100. I have also kilt plenty 200-300 yds and
a few @ 400 yds.

I was an UNabused Boy Scout so 'be prepared' is ingrained in me. Early in my deer hunting I was disappointed to
be reminded that I was NOT prepared for longer shots. Lesson LEARNED.
That theme is appropriate for many things beside hunting. DON'T go to deer lease W/O liquid, snacks, or first aid.

I 'could' have killed nearly all my deer with a 270/280/30-06 class rifle (include 25-06). A few times I've been glad to have a 7 RM or 300 WM in my hands.

I KNOW a 7 RM isn't needed for deer hunting in the South, it's comforting in really open desert , prairie ,bean field
or large cutover landscape.

I'd rather have 'too much' and not need it THAN to have too little and need more. That applies to more than hunting.
Make of that what you will. LOL

Bottom line for ME is:

Hunt/shoot what pleases YOU and that's what I do. It doesn't matter to me and I don't lose a minutes sleep over anyone
hunting a handgun or short range rifle. BTW I have killed deer with a Rooger (lol) SBHK 44 mag.

I don't go for, "almost as good as". I get the real thing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!