Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've come to expect the shocking and absolute ballistic ignorance of the .270 shooters - after all, if they knew even a little about ballistics, they wouldn't be .270 shooters. The inferior BC of .277 projectiles is caused by the need to support the incorrectly chosen 1:10" twist rate. For light projectiles, it makes no difference and .277 and .284 will be the same. So if you're hunting deer the size of a small dog in a 20y clearing back east, congratulations - the .270 is for you. For the rest of us, it sucks. For heavy projectiles, using the wrong twist rate means medium to heavy .277 bullets must either use high-drag short profiles, or aren't possible at all. For example, here at the BCs of the .277 and .284 partitions. The 160gr .277 is forced to be a semi-roundnose, and there is no .277 equivalent of the 175gr .284 partition because it wouldn't stabilize in the slower twist .270.

[Linked Image]

You'll see the exact same pattern in other .277 projectiles unless they're for for fast-twist rifles like the 27 Nosler and 6.8 Western. Those both fix the issues with the .270 and are reasonable cartridges, albeit with limited bullet selections which still makes them practically inferior to the 28 Nosler and 7mm WSM, although that's not the cartridge designer's fault for once.

Some people are handicapped by the smallest things. My heart hurts for them.

If you are a complete stumble fart and fall down you will have problems. I get it. But there is not a single big game animal this continent offers that will not comply handily to the 270 inside of 600 yards.