Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Judman
I’d never slight a man carrying a 270, especially if he was a hunter…

The problem w/ the .270 Win is... < some > people seem to feel that they need more.

... and game does not.
GR

I see you said 'some' so...

Having killed deer with a 44 handgun and even the Anemic 30-30 I know it doesn't take a canon to kill deer.

Speaking for myself only, I like FLAT shooters -- NOT for the power -- for the trajectory. Since '95 at least I've hunted
leases and private land that have cutovers or pastures so.... I refuse to limit myself to short ranged cartridges.

Even at that - I'm NOT being smart - More power does not kill deer MORE dead. Flat trajectories make hitting your
target easier at distance.

Jerry
Agree mostly with this, but there are some exceptions. For example if you are hunting in thick woods for very large game where shots are not going to be more than 150 yds, then a bigger bore such as .338 or .358 with say a 250 grain projectile and a shorter barrel say 20-22" and maybe a short action weighing no more than 8lbs with scope with manageable recoil will be better than say a .270 with 130 grain projectiles...this means a cartridge that isn't very flat shooting e.g .338-06, .358 Whelen, .338 RCM, .358 WSM (wildcat) . Also, if hunting heavy dangerous game such as buffalo a .45 caliber using a 500 grain projectile at 2200-2300 fps is ideal, but certainly not flat shooting.

Why would the .338 or .358 with a 250 grain bullet be better at under 150 yards than the 270 with a 130 grain bullet??

I will take flat shooting even in the brush. The closer to line of sight a bullet stays the less chance of deflection from unseen obstructions.

If the shots are at any angle at large running game partly covered by foliage, when you can't get perfect bullet placement, the bigger diameter and heavier bullet at close range will perform better a greater percentage of the time. If this wasn't so, then I don't see how a 7mm Rem Mag would outperform a .270 Win at medium distances on larger game. You'd sight your .270 close to 3" high at 100 yards for open country and your .338-06 or .35 Whelen about 2" at 100 yards for the woods and only use it in the woods. The .270 isn't going to have a sighting advantage at close range.