Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

No, it determines wind deflection and retained velocity which are both critical to A) how far one can shoot accurately in unknown wind and B) what bullet terminal performance looks like when it gets there

Accurate shots and terminal performance are what kill. So while BC doesn't directly kill, it determines both things that do.

The difference between a .270 and a superior cartridge is obvious to any competent western hunter.

I sure ain't shooting paper, steel or back in the middle east shooting 1k+. I'm shooting 4-500 max and works just fine; killed a lot of schitt with it.

Is there better extreme range? Yep, but I'm not talking extreme range, I'm talking hunting cartridge at ranges a majority are killing stuff and it does a damn good job.

If we want straight BC, let's just all go with Barrett 82s and 750 Amax's with a G1 of 1.05...

See, this is where the people who are not western hunters out themselves. My elk hunting setup has about a 4 mile hike, and then from my usual vantage point a series of clearings out to roughly 600y. No one's hiking a 30lb M82 in there (nor is it legal, but you could chamber it in 416 Barrett I guess and make it legal). The A-Max is arguably not a legal bullet either and M82 accuracy is [bleep] but again we can forget that for a bit. The weight makes it a no-go by itself.

But with say a .300 WSM shooting 200gr Terminal Ascents I can ethically address every one of those clearings - 100% hit probability on a 12" circle except in insane wind when I won't take the long shots. With a .270, the last 2 or 3 clearings aren't ethical - it's impossible to guarantee a hit because of the garbage ballistics.