-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D

Thank you Windfall for the welcome and answering my question, exactly what I needed to know.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I keep a down vest in my pack. It packs down to nothing and makes all the difference. Merino long jons and polypro socks under wool socks. My stand boots are also a little bit bigger and I fire a hotshot into the toe area of each boot when sitting for a good while. A couple of hotshots in my pockets and my hands stay warm also. I never sit all day, so this will get me through unless it's extremely cold. I stick to down and fleece mainly. Occasionally some wool surplus pants. Works for me in my part of Ontario Canada.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much as I like a down or fiberfill puffy for warmth, they are most always in a nylon covering and a nylon shell is loud walking through the brush and rustles when you move. More than once I've had a nylon puffy cinched up around my neck and with a little beard stubble rubbing it sounds remarkably similar to something coming through the leaves. A balaclava is great to keep your head and neck warm and a good partial face covering too. The kid works at an industrial supply place that has Milwaukee tools and they make a battery heated jacket that he likes. I guess the newer battery heated stuff is better than the heated socks that I got conned into buying years back, but too high tech for me. Those socks were useless because when I needed the heat, the batteries were so cold they were useless.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Still hunting in those temps, I'm wearing longhorns (Under Armor), wool bibs or Under Armor pants, longs sleeve T and and a hoodie (Sitka). 600 Thinsulate boots.

I forgot to add, something warm on your neck. That was a game changer for me when I started using one.

Last edited by tzone; 08/26/21.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am a believer in wool. I can stay comfortable when the young guys that wear the.expensive tech plastic gear are at camp warming up.

I agree that you can stay as warm. However, the good "tech plastic" will be much, much lighter.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Not traditional but, I wear a base layer, then wool and a wool coat and still can get a chill after a couple of Minnesota hours. My Hunting partner and I buy each other hunting related birthday gifts in September, sometimes its a gag gift, sometimes its something new to try. Two years ago he bought me a $100 battery powered heated vest. It changed hunting for me. I can sit all day with one battery on low or bring a second (size of a pack of smokes) and the two will last sun up to sundown on high. Two elements on the kidneys, one in the middle of the back and four small on the front. I love it so much he got one. Let my aunt and uncle try em and they both picked them up. So simple, so wonderful. I do have to wear it in the second position, over a thin base layer with my wool over the vest.

Ho-Lee-Schit....Look what the cat dragged in!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my Filson Wool bibs when it gets cold. You can layer underneath but what I like most is the ability to layer under and over the bids. Not having a belt makes them more comfortable with layers.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used a heated Milwaukee vest. The key to using the heated vest is you want a thin layer under it. If you go with a thick layer you don't feel the heat and at that point your just burning up batteries. You want the heat close to your skin. I usually wear a thin merino wool shirt, heated vest, then layer over that. Looks silly but who cares.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in as a wool and down guy. It's kept me warm in some pretty cold weather here, the UP and Canada.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have to use moisture wicking ong johns, then merino, then whatever I wish except cotton in cold weather. I still like my modified woolrich bibs with cargo pockets for my outer layer and in inclement weather a shell parka of some sort. When I am all toasty in a sit somewhere I have as many as six top layers and 3 bottom, with cold weather boots and gaiters on my feets!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Wool, down, and fur. As Mother Nature designed, Dress for much colder than anticipated, Invest in down long underwear and down booties.

That sounds really heavy.

It's the 21st century, you can stay warm wearing cloths that weigh less than 20 pounds.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Wool, down, and fur. As Mother Nature designed, Dress for much colder than anticipated, Invest in down long underwear and down booties.

That sounds really heavy.

It's the 21st century, you can stay warm wearing cloths that weigh less than 20 pounds.....

Exactly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got rid of underarmor 10 years ago.

That stuff works well if you are moving, but sitting it's worthless once it has sweat underneath it.

Go wool, next to skin and layered.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.