Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any places around Soldotna worth seeing, visting, and doing? Any good food places to hit. Taking a week down there. Craving seafood. Looking at doing a charter for whatever. Then fishing most the time on river. Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Check out the halibut charters out of Ninilchick.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Timeline is critical.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sept. 1 arriving. Open to most anything. Wouldnt mind some king crab legs or lobster. Fly fishing mostly. Could bring a firearm along if I could find some hunting? Otherwise just fish. Some afternoon shopping, sightseeing, winery, whayever. No plans at this point except bring some fish home.

Last edited by Esox357; 08/27/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was up there last weekend looking at a dental practice my #1 son is considering. We went out with a friend of the dentist for half a day. Launched off the beach at Ninilchick and put 70 pounds of halibut in the freezer. It was outstanding!

As far as things to see, we really only had one day to look around but every direction we looked seemed like a paradise to me. I thought I was prepared for the Alaska impact, but was truly stunned at the size, beauty and sheer biomass of that place. The fact that I live in a desert really hit home.

While we were fishing, the boat guy got a text from a buddy with pics of two grizzlies taken near Clam Gulch just up the road. Unreal!

If my kid seals the deal, I'll be up there often. Gotta visit those grandkids, you know?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have time you may want to drive down to Homer. Homer (as a fall back to fishing out of Ninilchick) also has a number of halibut charters. The sight seeing is pretty awesome to say the least!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. This will be a 1st trip for me. So anxiously awaiting to go!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Homer.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GTC22
Was up there last weekend looking at a dental practice my #1 son is considering. We went out with a friend of the dentist for half a day. Launched off the beach at Ninilchick and put 70 pounds of halibut in the freezer. It was outstanding!

As far as things to see, we really only had one day to look around but every direction we looked seemed like a paradise to me. I thought I was prepared for the Alaska impact, but was truly stunned at the size, beauty and sheer biomass of that place. The fact that I live in a desert really hit home.

While we were fishing, the boat guy got a text from a buddy with pics of two grizzlies taken near Clam Gulch just up the road. Unreal!

If my kid seals the deal, I'll be up there often. Gotta visit those grandkids, you know?

Your son is intellectually blessed. Now days, well, for 40 years actually, one must be near a genius to get in dental school.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by CraigD
If you have time you may want to drive down to Homer. Homer (as a fall back to fishing out of Ninqilchick) also has a number of halibut charters. The sight seeing is pretty awesome to say the least!

This. Watch out for big mooses on that trip.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/27/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll make my way down to homer for a day

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My wife is there as we speak. She and some cousins from Iowa are spending 2 weeks in Alaska. They will be coming home Sunday night. I think the funnest thing in Soldotna was taking 4 wheelers into the bush. They had a guide who took them on some trails. I do not know the name of the company.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Atvs would be fun up there for sure.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GTC22

It don’t suck. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Should have seen it when only 300 people lived here in Soldiers Fort…
Fishing for Steelhead should be starting by then. The middle and upper Kenai should be packed with extra-sized Rainbow and Dolly Varden. Coho in the lower river early morning and later evening. Salty Halibut and Coho make all things fall into “it don’t suck” status real quick.

Kenai River Brewing for lunch or dinner middle of the week. Bear viewing is good. Lots of water foul to view- Sandhill Crain are here in numbers now. Moose rut will be just on the edge of starting. Plenty to see and do…

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was there for several months back in '91. Great place.

The Klondike Restaurant in Soldotna was outstanding , unfortunately it has closed down.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pick a direction and go. It's all going to seem amazing if it's your first time up. I'd say the only bit of advice I can offer is to stay at it. You can rest when you're home. Get as much in as you can while you're here, because there's plenty to do, plenty to see, and you won't regret it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My grandfather was from Kiana.

Is that near Soldotna?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

No, it aint.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.