-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Bears Climb Cliff near Texas/ Mexican border.
U. americanus

(Photographer)
"Stephanie Latimer,

Oh my goodness, thank you all for sharing the excitement of this moment with me. I enjoyed reading your commentary, and love that so many of you are nearly as moved by the experience as me. I have more photos and footage taken of the bears that day (all of which I left with Big Bend National Park), and some of which I may post here at some point. For those of you who didn't enjoy my commentary, please understand that I recorded this footage at about 200 to 300 feet from the bears, in a relatively narrow canyon, while alone, with no way out but a kayak on maybe 2 foot of water (which was between me and the bears), and the whole encounter was extremely intense for me. For those wondering about the height at which the bears were climbing above the canyon floor, I actually do have footage showing that, but it needs to be slowed down before sharing, as it was taken in too much of a hurry. I would just estimate that the bears were at 150 to 200 feet. They were high enough, that the ground and the bears were too much to fit on my screen at once at my distance. I can say that if they had fallen to the rocky crags, below real damage would have been done, probably to me and them. I don't know anything about rock climbing terms or lingo, so I cannot answer those questions. I am just so very glad and grateful to have lived the experience and survived to share it. Happy watching, and may you all have many merry and equally moving adventures of your own!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best happy crapper post eva!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent, that's some damn good footage!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like big bend area.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Impressive...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Impressive...

Indeed.
It shows that a young bear is smart enough to hit an unpassable route, look down without panic, look around and find a new route. That's beyond scampering up a tree that everybody has seen.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw a similar video of a Spectacled Bear doing that in Peru. It was going after snails.

https://youtu.be/dJQrrhSQJtw

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rufous
I saw a similar video of a Spectacled Bear doing that in Peru. It was going after snails.

https://youtu.be/dJQrrhSQJtw

"Then I see little snails. Hunkered in the shadows."

Wow. There is absolutely no fear of hights with those bears.
Climbing 500 feet from the ground on the face of a sheet cliff for a tiny bit of food.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hope to one day see a Spectacled Bear in the wild. My parents live in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador and I have visited a couple times. Maybe next time I will get to see one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Looks like big bend area.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hope to one day see a Spectacled Bear in the wild. My parents live in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador and I have visited a couple times. Maybe next time I will get to see one.

I've only seen one in a zoo.

Equador is a country that an acquaintance tried to talk me into moving. You are very fortunate to have spent time there. Is that your grandparents native home?
I spoke to a family who lived there and came back to visit the USA. If I remember correctly, they lived in a village at 9,000 ft. elevation. They said the air is very thin.
I saw their pictures. It's a beautiful country.

In WV on a mountain, only 4,000+ feet elevation, the Lord brought me so close to a bald eagle that I could have touched it.....IF I didn't mind losing a finger. 😄. I just observed it from the ledge directly above and enjoyed the time watching him look around for food and preen.
Of course it didn't know that I was there.
Hiking off of that same mountain, a black bear charged me. He stopped and eventually left. I don't believe those were coincidences.
I will pray that you get to have an amazing experience seeing one up close.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I've only seen one in a zoo.

Equador is a country that an acquaintance tried to talk me into moving. You are very fortunate to have spent time there. Is that your grandparents native home?
I spoke to a family who lived there and came back to visit the USA. If I remember correctly, they lived in a village at 9,000 ft. elevation. They said the air is very thin.
I saw their pictures. It's a beautiful country.

In WV on a mountain, only 4,000+ feet elevation, the Lord brought me so close to a bald eagle that I could have touched it.....IF I didn't mind losing a finger. 😄. I just observed it from the ledge directly above and enjoyed the time watching him look around for food and preen.
Of course it didn't know that I was there.
Hiking off of that same mountain, a black bear charged me. He stopped and eventually left. I don't believe those were coincidences.
I will pray that you get to have an amazing experience seeing one up close.

Wow! You got to see a real live bald eagle?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My dad's family came to Oregon from Norway. Not sure exactly when but before 1915. My dad and step mom traveled to a bunch of countries in Central and South America as well as in Europe looking for a suitable place to retire abroad and ended up choosing Ecuador. They are very happy there.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Very cool!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.