Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dukester
I've been looking at the bargain rifles as well and was considering the Axis. After handling one I found I did not like the stock. They just don't feel good in my trigger hand. The stock is too small/narrow there for my taste. I held the Thompson Venture II and I really like it better, even though it is heavier. Both should shoot well. Handle and Axis, a Thompson and either a Howa and maybe the Vanguard and see which one you like then buy it. The Axis and Thompson Compass will be less expensive than the others but if it doesn't feel good in your hands...

Should you decide on the Axis, Cabella's has one with a Camo stock on sale and with the factory rebate they are running $259 plus tax right now.

I saw that. I wish my local store had a caliber I want.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly! Love my t/c compass in 223. Accurate as hell and does exactly what I ask of it. Great truck gun and the yotes fall👍

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just got an axis compact youth in 243. Lights out accurate at 100 with handliads. The action is rough but it does shoot well

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot 3 different ones that belonged to other people. 2 were .270W. and 1 was .30-06.They all shot surprisingly accurately but had horrible triggers. I've heard you can now get an adjustable Accu-Trigger.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Dukester
I've been looking at the bargain rifles as well and was considering the Axis. After handling one I found I did not like the stock. They just don't feel good in my trigger hand. The stock is too small/narrow there for my taste. I held the Thompson Venture II and I really like it better, even though it is heavier. Both should shoot well. Handle and Axis, a Thompson and either a Howa and maybe the Vanguard and see which one you like then buy it. The Axis and Thompson Compass will be less expensive than the others but if it doesn't feel good in your hands...

Should you decide on the Axis, Cabella's has one with a Camo stock on sale and with the factory rebate they are running $259 plus tax right now.

I saw that. I wish my local store had a caliber I want.

Order online for pick up at your local store. I just checked and almost every caliber is available online. I think .223 was the only one they were out of.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I don't know why any other affordable rifle exists when you can buy a Howa.

W E I G H T !!!

I've had several Howas, and they are excellent, but they're heavy, and we climb steep rugged mountains often several hour climbs to get where the deer are.

Your old ass ain't climbing shìt! grin

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MAC

Howa 1500 rifles run about $450. I bought a T/C Compass in 308 Win for $241 including tax. Why would I spend $200 more than I have to for a truck gun? Especially when my T/C Compass shoots a group like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jeebus....as if we needed another reason to make everything schittier.

Just go buy one of them Russian carbines.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother bought one about 8 years ago one a whim in case we were drawn for a state deer hunt. It had the cruddy plastic u shaped spring retainer shown in this video. I couldn't believe they would put something that cheesey on a firearm. You know there is a very limited amount of times that plastic can be bent before it fatigues and breaks. But apparently they now have a new design shown in this vid.

Last edited by 1911a1; 08/29/21.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

Howa 1500 rifles run about $450. I bought a T/C Compass in 308 Win for $241 including tax. Why would I spend $200 more than I have to for a truck gun? Especially when my T/C Compass shoots a group like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jeebus....as if we needed another reason to make everything schittier.

Just go buy one of them Russian carbines.

Were you born an idiot or did you work at it? You're touting a Japanese brand and I'm touting an American brand. I'm willing to bet you're too damn dumb to even know Howa is Japanese. Tell you what Fool, go stand 200 yards away and let me take a shot at you and we'll see just how "schittier" my T/C Compass is.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wouldn't trust your 100 dollar rifle not to break in half.

The Axis like the economy model Yugo.

Sheesh.

Maybe someday Harbor Freight will make a hunting rifle for 76 dollars. You people will be in heaven then.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one, just traded it off last week toward a Kimber Hunter. I hated the stock ergs and felt it was one of the worst firearms that I've ever owned, ranking down toward the bottom of the pile.

I have a Mossberg Patriot that I like better.

I have a few Marlin X guns that I like better.

Even though I don't care for the stock ergs, the Ruger Americans are at least as accurate as the Axis.

IMO, the Axis is a cheap gun that feels cheap, but they seem to shoot. It's kinda funny that people used to complain about how ugly the 110 series rifles were, but compared to the Axis the 110 series are regular beauty queens.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah! Like the Savage needed cheapening up!

I am MAGA.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't trust your 100 dollar rifle not to break in half.

The Axis like the economy model Yugo.

Sheesh.

Maybe someday Harbor Freight will make a hunting rifle for 76 dollars. You people will be in heaven then.

I guess you must be a friggin retard because my rifle isn't an Axis. Perhaps you didn't read where I have a T/C Compass. I notice you don't take me up on my offer to stand out at 200 yards and let me take a poke at you. Perhaps you're afraid it won't break in half? Or maybe you're afraid that I'll punch the 10 ring on your worthless carcass? Won't bother me in the least to ventilate you. Haven't got to shoot at someone since 2013 when I was last in the Middle East helping Haji get his 40 virgins.

Something tells he that you're actually a real punk in real life.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
TC Compas?

Couldn't even afford the quality of the Axis eh?

Sad.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Compass or venture in 223. Fugg i dont even know what it is. Finally unboxed it after 4 years and slapped a scope on it.

It sure is ugly but it was another one of super clearance finds. About $200

Shoots great with just bulk cheap 223 garbage ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Savage Axis in .308

I ended up buying a heavy barrel varmint rifle in .308 so it doesn't get shot much anymore.

I bought it because it was a good price point gun. I hear about the triggers and they added accu trigger in the Axis II soI guess it was a concern for them but I don't hate it.

If I was looking to buy a budget priced .308, I'd probably make that choice again.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roger that.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can kill a deer with a shîtty trigger. IDGAF.

i don’t murder that much paper.

lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can kill a deer with a shîtty trigger. IDGAF.

i don’t murder that much paper.

lol

I wish I was a talented enough shooter that a good trigger would make a difference.

my targets at the range are a cardboard box and a tomato stake

Last edited by KFWA; 08/31/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My brother and his son both have Savage Axis in 308. They don't baby them and their cleaning routine is rather spartan but each Missouri deer season they've killed out opening weekend and it's on to other things. I will say both of their original cheap scopes crapped at the range sighting in before 10rds were fired. Don't believe they've shot much over 150yds max either.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 65 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,683
Posts18,534,399
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.