Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
LC, I must be failing to understand your times as related. The comp times you related are glacial and you had your pistol drawn and pointed in around one second after the bear was spotted? I do not understand.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
LC, I must be failing to understand your times as related. The comp times you related are glacial and you had your pistol drawn and pointed in around one second after the bear was spotted? I do not understand.

mike r

I'll have to go back and review the tapes... for fugs sake.

I'll type this slowly... walking down a trail with lots of vegetation, short eye range. Heard a woof, and saw a bear charging me. I drew my redhawk and just as I was getting it aimed, the bear peeled off into the brush. From the time I saw the bear, drew my weapon, and had it out of the holster it was ABOUT a second or so. I didn't have a shot timer (hell I didn't even shoot), I didn't have a stopwatch and a horn, and I didn't look at the sun for a calibrated time reading.

As far as the comp times, if 4 seconds for 3 shots at 15 yards from a holster is glacial to you... good on ya.

I'm glad this thread has now devolved into arguing about fugging shot times. My only point is that a belt holster for a float trip for a handgun for bear defense is a bad idea. So is a holster with a strap. So is a nylon bag.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
LC thanks for indulging my ignorance and your slow typing. We come from different worlds, I would never carry a handgun exposed w/out at least level 2 retention. I can, on demand, shoot 3 shots into 6" from a nylon bag @15 yards in <4 seconds as can many others and have found Mac Sage to have a credibility over many years that you have yet to establish. If you can draw your ruger in <2 seconds...good on ya.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 08/28/21.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Diamond D holster, being leather, and having an adjustable tension screw, leaves no need for level 2 retention. I could do handstands with it on, (I actually did this once) and it won't fall out.

It's been many years since I shot competition. I shot at Ft Richardson at the state matches (Army NG), and later went to Arkansas for the Winston P Wilson Rifle, Pistol, and Machine Gun national championships. I wasn't the best by a long shot, but I belonged there. My aggregate score for the week in all matches (Rifle and Pistol) put me at 11% in the rankings.

The target looks like this:
(the scoring rings are different though, the 5 ring is 3 inches, and the 3 ring is 6 inches. There's also a (hard to see) triangle in the head area.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

The first 2 rounds are to the center of mass, and the third shot is to the head. If you don't hit the head shot, the score for the entire 3 shots is 0. It was a lot of fun, it was challenging, and I was by no means the best shot there. My forte was rifle, and I was on the rifle team from Alaska. Everyone shoots the rifle and pistol EIC matches though.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I found the Diamond D to be excellent for carrying my 5" 629 while wading and fishing the streams in south central Alaska. It held the gun securely but could be drawn quickly and didn't interfere with casting fly rod. I tried the Simply Rugged first but soon moved on to the Diamond D which is also comfortable riding a 4 wheeler, snowmachine or your pick up.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.