Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We're getting close to finally completing our off grid cabin, all that's left is adding a shower/kitchen sink and drain system. I want to make sure I get this right so I don't have to spend a bunch of time having to redo it. Here is what I'm planning to do and if something sounds amiss let me know.

I've got 35 gallon water tank that will sit next to our shower (upstairs), from there I am running a 110v rv 45 psi water pump to an on demand rv water heater which requires a minimum of 20psi for it to operate. I am planning on running a water line downstairs to our kitchen sink which will be teed off on the outlet side of the water pump and I will also t off another water line from the outlet side of the water heater down to the kitchen sink. I'm thinking that I'll need to add shutoff valves on those lines going down to the kitchen when I want to take a shower. We've got a water trough tub that we will use for a shower stall which I've already installed the drain on and I'm planning on running 2" pvc for the draining system which will be wrapped with 38° heat tape for winter use. I'm also going to run the kitchen sink drain into the 2" pvc and the 2" drain system will run about 25 feet under our cabin and angled enough to allow it to drain without any residual left in the pipe. I'm also going to put a clean out where the kitchen sink and shower drain join just in case something gets dropped or it becomes clogged for some reason. This is all gray water so it will empty out on a downhill slope in the front of our cabin so I'm not concerned about odor or contaminating the ground with chemicals or anything that might harm the environment around our cabin.

I plumbed a toilet and sink last fall for the wife so she wouldn't have to run to the outhouse in the middle of the night to take a leak and my drain is very similar to this except it does go underground into a buried 45 gallon barrel filled with rocks with gravel underneath it, it is completely insulated and enclosed in plywood to prevent it from freezing, there is no odor and we haven't had any issues with it not draining completely, even in the winter.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yer one of those elitists, aintcha?

At our remote cabin I put a piece of plywood on the ground between a triangle if trees, drape a tarp around them, hang one of those sun-heater sacks filled with water from the cook stove above and we and the skeeters are good to go. If feeling up-town, I lay some planks from the cabin door to the "shower".

Jeeze man, live a little! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my experience it is the women who object to a setup like that, particularly once they achieve motherhood.

As far as the setup goes, nothing jumps out as a bad idea as long as AK will let you drain a toilet into a barrel of rock. You might want to check the pump curve to be sure it can make 20+ PSI at the flow you need for the shower. Being as it is all RV stuff there shouldn’t be a problem but if they publish a curve it would be worth double checking.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do you have a vent stack for the drain pipes?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm guessing off the grid means nobody but AKMTNHNTR knows about it....

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Yer one of those elitists, aintcha?

At our remote cabin I put a piece of plywood on the ground between a triangle if trees, drape a tarp around them, hang one of those sun-heater sacks filled with water from the cook stove above and we and the skeeters are good to go. If feeling up-town, I lay some planks from the cabin door to the "shower".

Jeeze man, live a little! smile
Lol.............you should see my shower setup in the summer, a tarp on the ground, a 5 gallon water jug sitting on the deck above me, towel, soap and shampoo, that doesn't work so good in the winter though.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Morewood
Do you have a vent stack for the drain pipes?
Just curious but why would I need a vent stack? The gray water is going directly outside and there is no P-trap or anything else in the system.

Steelhead

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
In our cabin, we have a simple 2x6 floor that drains down in the middle . Under it we have a 5 gal. pan. We have 3 walls and a tarp for a curtain. I have a hole in the loft that holds a 5 gal. bucket with a little hole on the bottom. I take some warmed up water, it doesnt take more than a gallon neither. I just dump it in and run down stairs and take a shower. A gallon does wonders. Two gallons is heaven.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a cold plate from one of those portable keg tap systems, place it under the tub where you stand and plumb the hot water line to run through it so your feet stay toasty.
The wife will love you for it!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
An RV water pump will supply enough water to get it done.

Just put a shutoff valve in the shower head like they do in trailers,to save water.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t bathe when I’m camping.

I also crap standing up when roughing it

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
An RV water pump will supply enough water to get it done.

Just put a shutoff valve in the shower head like they do in trailers,to save water.
We have a mixing valve just like a regular shower at ones home, so we can control water flow at the shower with it.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

Good to know...........lol.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

Drop your drawers first, or not?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Maybe he goes naked like a squatch.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What is wrong with just using a washcloth and a pan of warm water ?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
What is wrong with just using a washcloth and a pan of warm water ?

Like German women? lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
German women wash?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Remember... its only gray water if you dont pee in the shower!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your system sounds good.

Mayve I missed it, do you have a well? You mention a 35 gallon tank, you filling that up from another source?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.