Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I picked up a eg made in 54. Whoever drilled and tapped it got the rear holes out of alignment. One hole off center. Looking for an alternative mount that will work. So disappointing.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How far off center is the hole? Would a larger diameter screw subtend its area?* If that won't work, why not fill the hole and re-drill another hole in the proper location?** (Assuming the scope mount will cover the scar of the original hole.) Since the gun is wrecked collector-wise, no harm now in desecrating it further. Or, you can simply stick filler screws in all the holes and mount your scope with either a Stith or a Lightfoot mount.

*this would involve opening up the hole in the scope base also

** fill the hole via inserting a long screw slathered with red loctite, cutting off nearly flush, peening it, and filing/polishing flush with the surface. Touch up blue the scar.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are either of the holes in the correct place? If so, you might consider just getting a one piece top mount and secure it with 3 screws.

I've got one like that.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Are either of the holes in the correct place? If so, you might consider just getting a one piece top mount and secure it with 3 screws.

I've got one like that.

Yeah, one of the windage adjustable bases should take care of the mis-alignment .

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There are several options. Contact me and I can likely help figure something out.

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Was wondering if anyone knows the distance between the front mount mounting holes and the rear mount mounting holes on a factory drilled and tapped gun?

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks for the information, I truly appreciate it. Gonna hopefully be able to use a Leopold one piece with rear wind age adjustment.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Just an FYI, I have used the Williams quick convertible mount for the Savage 99 to solve the exact problem you have with no issues. As long as the front two holes are drilled correctly, which the two rifles I have used this on were, you can bypass the back two misaligned scope mount holes and use the factory Tang Peep sight hole further back on the receiver tang as a bolt-on and it covers any mess made with misaligned holes. With low rings, you can mount the scope super low that is quick-detach, and have a very nice backup peep site that screws into the rear ring mount. It maintains the vintage look and works well. The two rifles I am using these on literally look like someone used a hand drill and eyeballed the rear two holes. I bought both of them super cheap because of the rear scope mount hole mess. An awful thing to do to otherwise nice rifles.

You can find them fairly easily on ebay and other internet sites with some patience and time.

This is what it looks like:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/11440104

Last edited by FSJeeper; 09/06/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great suggestion! Just make sure you get the model that attaches to the tang. They made a model for the factory drilled guns that uses the receiver scope mount holes on the rear.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brownells sells weaver type scope base blanks with no holes so you can set up the rifle in a Bridgeport and pick up the X – Y coordinates of the holes to determine the locations , and then you can custom drill / counter bore the base .

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have two 99’s that I used the offset inserts for the Burris signature Zee rings. You can offset the front and back ring if need be. You can’t tell they were used.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 09/07/21.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thank you

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 70 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.