Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michigan70

one of the chambering reamer rental shops has the 338-06 Ackley improved available.

So is there any reason to consider using the Ackley improved round?

Not only NO....but hell no!

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Back on topic.....

I built one.. on a Model 70 action, rebore...The guy who did it, was one of the last guys to train under P.O. Ackley. Bob West in Eugene OR.

When he did it, he told me old P.O. Ackley saw no reason for it, because it gave no real world gains... so I just went with the 338/06 rebore.

Had several local buddies with the Ackley version... and at the range a couple of time, each with 24 inch barrels., mine had 50 fps more velocity than the guys with the AI's. so that kind of bore out what Bob West told me P.O. himself said.

He also was the guy who recommended to use H 380 for it, which I followed and it was a right choice... that or 4064...

He recommended 50 grains of 4064 as a charge for it also.... because the velocity for 200, 225 and 250 grain Hornady bullets was 2500 fps MV, with that 50 gr of 4064 charge. My chronograph verified that also... and also pretty much had the same general point of impact at 100 yds.

and here is Bob West , operating out of his garage. who had about 20 guns he was working on for Hank Williams Jr, about 10 for Tom Selleck and a host of others for celebrities......While I was at his shop, Hank Williams Jr called him like 3 times, so he finally took the call, when I said I didn't mind waiting.

Then all of a sudden, he says " Hank, I gotta go take a Whizz.... here talk to my friend John here, until I get back.." Then he just hands me the phone and takes off..... So I hear Hank Jr on the phone... "hey John, how's your day going?".. so I talked guns with Hank Jr for about 10 minutes, until Bob got back..

Hank had asked me what Bob was working on for me, and I told him the 338/06.... well that's a good caliber....I prefer the 35 Whelen.. but I've seen them on some of my hunts with others, and they certain work on Elk and Bears....

For a celeb, old Hank Jr was a real down to earth guy..... so my 338/06 has some sort of pedigree to it... kinda sorta...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice story. What was Magnum, PI shooting?

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool story, Seafire!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool stuff Seafire... Bob West built my 338-06 also way back then...25 Inch Donnelly barrel on a 1948 pre 64.. Interesting for sure although I didn't get to talk to any celebrities'. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Who's Hank Williams Jr?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since 1975 the .338 Winny has performed wonderfully for me on Alaskan game and the 30-06 has done the same thing since 1965 and a .338-06 worked also, but has only seen limited use. I have recently turned a new production Mod. 71 into a .348 Ackley Improved and if I get close enough I expect the wonderful 250 grain Kodiak Super Bonded Bullets at about 2,500 fps mv to work very well. Do I need an Improved .348, probably not, but I sure wanted 35 Whelen ballistics with a 250 gain bullet and the improved .348 Ackley version gives it to me. So the itch is scratched and I am happy about it.

The Deluxe Mod. 71 rifle has a beautiful walnut checkered stock, beautiful bluing and I will be feared by all beasts when I am carrying it. Once the XS receiver sight is zeroed for 150 yards all range shooting will be shot off of the sticks. I will be the envy of everyone and I will also look good with my Filson Packer oil skin hat, heck ya!

One thing they all have in common, if the right bullet is put in the right place at a reasonable distance they all kill well.

Does a 338-06 Ackley make sense, not to me because I don't want one, but if I did.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not read all the responses. But I had a similar problem when I picked a 375 Whelen AI. It was what the reamer rental place had and the die retailer had. So I went AI.
The problem is the controlled round feed of the Mauser requires a bit of work on the rails and feeding ramp.
I also have a 280 AI on a 700 action. With that action there was no need to alter the feed.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll say the same thing I said in 10/10 if you want whatever performance increase in an AI over a std cartridge. Atleast put it in a std length action not a short box mauser 98 (3.25"). Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
358WCF,

Pushing Ackley Improved cartridges "hard" is the primary reason they supposedly get significantly more velocity--and always has been. Only a few Ackley Improved rounds get 100 fps more muzzle velocity when loaded to the same pressure--and those are older cartridges with far more body taper than the .338-06, such as the .250 Savage. In most cartridges you can get within 50 fps of the same muzzle velocity by pushing them hard.

I have fooled with a bunch of Ackley (and other "improved") rounds, and so far the only significant difference I've found is the near elimination of case-stretch--which saves a lot of time in reloading hundreds of varmint rounds, but not much in big game cartridges. That said, a lot of recent varmint rounds have a sharp enough shoulder to result in essentially the same thing.

But whatever.....

Do you find , while case trimming is much reduced, that the neck / shoulder junction will thicken over many cycles?
This is what I have found with a 6 Dasher and 280 ai. This makes closing the bolt a bit harder than normal , so neck turn the base of the neck.
Improving a cartridge is not about velocity (for me), but getting it 'right sized' to give more opportunity to hit an OBT at reasonable pressures.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] Do you find , while case trimming is much reduced, that the neck / shoulder junction will thicken over many cycles?
This is what I have found with a 6 Dasher and 280 ai. This makes closing the bolt a bit harder than normal , so neck turn the base of the neck.
Improving a cartridge is not about velocity (for me), but getting it 'right sized' to give more opportunity to hit an OBT at reasonable pressures.[/quote]

I have seen that--but it also can happen in non-AI bottlenecked cases. But have also seen it in brand-new factory brass with relatively sharp necks, say around 30 degrees. Had a batch of new 6.5 PRC brass that apparently had the "dreaded donut" to a certain extent in maybe 10% of the cases, because it showed up after the first firing. Like you, I neck-turned the base of the neck to solve the problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.