Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FN SPR would be a good choice for a heavy .308

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by High_Noon

That's what I was thinking too. Even the FN PBR would work great, if wanting a similar rifle, but didn't have the funds for the SPR.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For mid-$ options, I’d likely go Bergara HMR or one of the Tikka heavy barrel models. Wouldn’t require much tinkering.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger Precision Rifle.

A
AEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Like others have said, there are a lot better choices for a fun range gun than the .308. But if he has to scratch that itch for nostalgia, or whatever, there are a ton of good heavy barrel factory rifles that fit the bill. If it is nostalgia, he could build a nice M40A1 / M24 - ish rifle for not much more than some of the factory options. I did that several years ago just for the hell of it. 700 short action, M40A1 contour Mike Rock barrel, twisted 11.25, Obermeyer chamber. I put it in a Mcmillan M40A1/HTG stock with Winchester bottom metal. The Obermeyer cut and 11.25 twist are perfect for 175 SMKs. I load the SMK over Varget in Lapua cases with CCI BR primers. It comes close to duplicating the M118LR load, though a little faster. Mine is crazy accurate. Total cost was about $1,200 or so after sourcing some used components.

I don't mess with the 308 much anymore and I have since put that rifle in a XLR chassis and threaded the muzzle. With an APA brake or Barrett DT 30 can on the front, recoil is nothing.

If he doesn't have a good reason for a 308, a fast twist 223 is hard to beat for fun factor. Buy a Tikka, a bunch of Black Hills 77TMK ammo and rock on.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako76
Ruger Precision Rifle.

That would work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
My dad is 70 and never owned a 308. Anymore he mostly just target shoots. He is wanting a heavy 308 just to shoot off the bench. Other than it being heavy (he hates recoil)he is more interested in accuracy than anything.
What do you recommend? Thanks

I understand that he wants to scratch an itch but since you pointed out the fact that he hates recoil he is going down the wrong road IMO. I have owned quite a few 308's with varmint contour barrels on them and even a 10 lb 308 is not much fun to shoot off the bench for extended periods. May I suggest that you borrow a 308 and let him try it off the bench for a few rounds and see how he feels about wanting one after that - it may save some time and money for him.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon

BT/DT too,along with eveything else,thus far cited. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the GOOD 22LR and make mine a Vudoo. Hint.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a gazillion retired engineers where I live and they all participate in our shooting club's matches.

Endless and learned discussions about recoil and recoil management in the practice of long range shooting.

Ditto PRS shooters, out here in the open spaces of Eastern Washington State.

95% shoot NLR22 matches, and 95% shoot some version of heavy rifle. The PRS guys are sporting 18 - 28 lb. rifles to win.

Of the heavy PRS and bench rifles, probably 5% are 308, most are heavy 6mm PPC or 6mm Creedmoor, and now more and more are 6mm ARC.

He'll have fun shooting a 308 at distance, but the 6mm ARC has very similar ballistics, and a fraction of the recoil, reloading cost, and blast.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
David,

Someone asking questions such as stated and starting a Thread in the very regard,is obviously not very steeped. I shoot all the chamberings you cite and more than a whole fhuqking bunch that haven't. KEY is ammo and that again comes full circle back to 22LR. The good stuff remains available. Hint.

I rather like the 270,243 Grendel/ARC/AFI/LBC/Predator,6BR,6 XC,Seex Kreed',etc. and if only obviously. Someday the ARC will be well represented in turnbolts,with the RPM,throat geometry and mag systems to REALLY do some favors,but alas,that day ain't today. Cheap/fast/easy in a Krunchenticker,but no joy in a Turnbolt. I much prefer the 224 version,but that's a horse of a different feather. Hint.

I've sold a LOT of Vudoos and there's yet to be a regret by anyone,as it simply takes FUN to new levels,that can't begin to be fathomed. NOTHING is fun,like a 22LR at 5,6 and 700yds. Hint.

'Course it's easy for me to say,simply I because I shoot it all and then some. Hint......................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Seems like these threads get off course. Everyone wants to through out caliber recommendations when the guy wants a .308. I'm not sure which is the heaviest out there for sale today if he wants new. Most at 7lbs area. Something that you might want to consider is a good recoil pad. Limbsaver and Pachmayr are a couple of popular name brands. Some manufactures claim these reduce recoil up to 70%. Not sure I believe 70%. But if it is even 1/2 that is quite a help. I have two x-bolts with Browning pads and I can tell less felt recoil. I also have a Pachmayr on another rifle and can tell the difference on that on also.

Just another thought in addition to weight.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Wow Bigstick trying to give advise without ripping someone apart. Way to go Bigstick. Proud of you!!!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
A Winchester M 70 Heavy Varmint.

I’ve got one of these. It’s even a .308. Beautiful gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
David,

Someone asking questions such as stated and starting a Thread in the very regard,is obviously not very steeped. I shoot all the chamberings you cite and more than a whole fhuqking bunch that haven't. KEY is ammo and that again comes full circle back to 22LR. The good stuff remains available. Hint.

I rather like the 270,243 Grendel/ARC/AFI/LBC/Predator,6BR,6 XC,Seex Kreed',etc. and if only obviously. Someday the ARC will be well represented in turnbolts,with the RPM,throat geometry and mag systems to REALLY do some favors,but alas,that day ain't today. Cheap/fast/easy in a Krunchenticker,but no joy in a Turnbolt. I much prefer the 224 version,but that's a horse of a different feather. Hint.

I've sold a LOT of Vudoos and there's yet to be a regret by anyone,as it simply takes FUN to new levels,that can't begin to be fathomed. NOTHING is fun,like a 22LR at 5,6 and 700yds. Hint.

'Course it's easy for me to say,simply I because I shoot it all and then some. Hint......................(grin)

Even at 50 and 100.

Two (other) old guys at one of the ranges I use go at it several times a week shooting at stick-on dots and little candies stuck on cardboard. One shot at each; closest wins. They have as much fun raggin’ on each other as shooting. Neither hunts or handloads, they just shoot. One of them also bangs steel at 100 offhand with various old .22 rifles, usually with irons, and handguns. They have cases of good, not top-end ammo. On any given day, they pull out something, adjust their scopes for it, and go at it.

Your idea is a good one, but old guys are hard to “divert” once they set their minds on something.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I was setting up a rifle for Dad in 308,
I'd buy him what feels good to him and load some Berger 115gr flat base bullets with a starting load of powder.

You're a thoughtful son!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pappy',

Those are gateway distances and thus my initial reply,to cut him off at the pass. Hint.(grin)

Typically,these things are a Drooling Window Licker's free for all,as Boobs race at a chance to unveil their fhuqking STUPIDITY to "help". Pardon an innate ability to cut to the fhuqking chase and connect dots,by literal default. Not that I don't enjoy the HILARITY of Fhuqktards doing their best. Hint. LAUGHING!

It's simply a shame to condone STUPIDITY and slip an Old Boy(or anyone else) such a bitter pill. I can simply throw a coupla dozen high Zoot Rifles in the back of my crummy and let folks cut their own throats,but it's NEVER not gonna be a GOOD 22LR for the fhuqking win. Never. Hint.

I've got all the wares,these gals are TRYING to talk about...yet none of 'em have even fhuqking seen a GOOD 22LR. Hint...................(grin)

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Fenton
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
A Winchester M 70 Heavy Varmint.

I’ve got one of these. It’s even a .308. Beautiful gun.

I had one in the mid-90's in .22/250 and it was accurate! I used it for coyote calling and eventually sold as it lived up to its name. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a bunch of heavy 308's (9 pounds up to 19) and all shoot very well with the heaviest being an honest 1/4 moa rifle. The truth is, any accurate rifle is fun to shoot and virtually every company makes a good shooting 308. It comes down to just picking a style you like. If you like the sniper wannabe style; there are a ton of those available. If oyu like the classic marksman style; those are a little harder to find. In between those two, there is an abundance of models available. Of course, he can always just shoot a 22LR instead; they are just the same. Right? wink GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DumbDog,

Be SURE to keep extolling your Whining Brokedick Insecurities,like your fhuqking STUPIDITY is on "purpose"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing your best though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
My dad is 70 and never owned a 308. Anymore he mostly just target shoots. He is wanting a heavy 308 just to shoot off the bench. Other than it being heavy (he hates recoil)he is more interested in accuracy than anything.
What do you recommend? Thanks

I had a Savage 10 and 12 BVSS and they were close to 10 lbs without a scope. They still were not light kickers as a heavy rifle. If it’s just paper I would suggest a smaller cartridge. Sell him on speed and get a varmint cartridge like the 220 Swift or 22-250 Remington. I know some will say they are not target rounds, but neither is the 308 Winchester. Sorry I am not much help, but he will be looking to sell the heavy 308 after a couple of range sessions with one.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.