Hop To
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers
Muffin: To me, to deify the Bible because Jesus is only known through scripture is analogous to the Catholic Church deifying Mary because she gave birth to God. Jesus wouldn’t have been born without Mary, therefore Mary is deified. But Mary’s not part of the Trinity, and belief in Mary is not necessary for salvation. Deification of the Bible is analogous to the veneration of Mary. If Jesus is known only because Mary gave him birth, that doesn’t warrant her deification; and if Jesus is only known through scripture, that doesn’t warrant its deification either. Not to me anyways.

I don’t worship scripture. Scripture is not what saves me. Jesus saves me. Jesus drew a very clear distinction between the Scriptures that testify about Him and He Himself. He clearly said that to think that salvation comes through anyone or anything else other than Him is flat-out wrong, even if that something else is Scripture.

I understand that, but,

Is it 'the Word', is it 'GOD breathed'

Would we know about HIM without it?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
How do you separate The Word of God from the word of Constantine. Or numerous other emperors and Popes over the millennia who have ordered changes in scriptural content? Not to mention Luther, and Calvin, and every other separitist minded Minister through the years. Of course, each religion must teach that they are preaching the unaltered word of God. To do otherwise would be tantamount to self immolation. Just because the Minister states it as Truth, does that mean it actually is? Were that so, we could not have 45,000 denominations of Christianity today, each teaching a different message.
Good questions.

"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes."
Paul to Timothy

IdaHo continually proves that he tries to engender strife and destroy the faith of the unlearned by his questions and comments.

I believe in Jesus and His resurrection but I’m more than skeptical about the Biblical account of creation, Noah and the Ark, and Jonah and the Great Fish (for example). I can follow Jesus without buyin’ into the entire Old Testament and/or New Testament lock, stock, and barrel.

You guys are welcome to believe whatever you want to believe.
Keep in mind that Jesus Himself and His apostles believed and taught a six day literal creation. He then went onto demonstrate that He is God Almighty Creator by many miracles, including but not limited to creating food before 16,000 families.

The Jesus that I believe in is the same One Who referenced what He knew to be a literal event of His prophet Jonah being three days and nights in the belly of a whale. Perhaps you think, that Jesus' resurrection was just a figurative allegory?
It sounds like you subscribe to the Jeffersonian philosophy.
Is his Bible the one that you use?

To me, believing and accepting God’s grace through faith in Jesus and his redemptive work alone is enough for salvation. To me, a belief in the full inerrancy and infallibility of Scripture is not necessary.

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Happy_Camper: I’m attracted to the original version of Christianity, the first-generation passion of what it means to strive to be a fully devoted follower of Jesus. The approach to advancing the Gospel modeled by Jesus and the apostles is very different from what many/most people see today. The Resurrection was at the center of the first-century apologetic. It’s at the center of mine as well.

1. The Resurrection was built upon the veracity of the O.T. prophecies. If creation and the other miracles that Jesus performed in the beginning and while ministering in His humanity were in doubt, then how can the miracles of substitutionary atonement and resurrection be trusted?
See what I am saying? Jesus performed miracles to establish Who He was and His disciples to confirm those spoken proclamations (prophecies, knowledge, eye witness accounts).
Once Scripture was written and established, the temporary gifts were done away.

2. The written Epistles and books are also an important for faith, which is required to be saved.

"For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed...
For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.". https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-10-17/

3. This is why it is attacked by Satan in the Garden of Eden to Revelation. This is also why God points this important fact out from Genesis to Revelation's conclusion, placing upon adding and subtracting from it the harshest judgements.

You might have heard about the Jefferson Bible.
He didn't believe in the miracles. He wrote his own condensed version.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I believe every word Jesus wrote, I trust that the words attributed to Jesus through the Gospels are fairly accurate for our introduction to Christ and his life example, and I accept the Holy Spirit as my mentor and communication with God.

The rest is just worldly noise that folks get all wound up over.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muffin
Would we know about math without a math book...? Would we know about history without a history book...? We learn about math from a math book, and we learn about history from a history book. The books are clearly important. But that does not elevate those books to the level of importance as the actual math and the actual history themselves...!

I can affirm the inspiration of scripture and it’s tremendous importance, but I stop way short of putting it at the center of my faith, or of making belief in its infallibility and inerrancy a litmus test for my salvation.

I don’t practice bibliolatry, and I don’t see scripture as being co-equal with belief in Jesus and His resurrection, especially when it comes to requirements for salvation. Sola fide ~ through faith alone...but who or what must our faith be in for salvation...? To me, faith in Jesus is enough, I don’t also have to believe in the sanctity of the entire Old and/or New Testaments.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I believe every word Jesus wrote, I trust that the words attributed to Jesus through the Gospels are fairly accurate for our introduction to Christ and his life example, and I accept the Holy Spirit as my mentor and communication with God.
word

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Would we know about math without a math book...? Would we know about history without a history book...? We learn about math from a math book, and we learn about history from a history book. The books are clearly important. But that does not elevate those books to the level of importance as the actual math and the actual history themselves...!

I can affirm the inspiration of scripture and it’s tremendous importance, but I stop way short of putting it at the center of my faith, or of making belief in its infallibility and inerrancy a litmus test for my salvation.

I don’t practice bibliolatry, and I don’t see scripture as being co-equal with belief in Jesus and His resurrection, especially when it comes to requirements for salvation. Sola fide ~ through faith alone...but who or what must our faith be in for salvation...? To me, faith in Jesus is enough, I don’t also have to believe in the sanctity of the entire Old and/or New Testaments.

So! Through it, with it, by it, we are thoroughly quipped for every good work............. true or not???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy_Camper: To me, the only claim of Christianity that’s required for salvation is believing and accepting God’s grace through faith in Jesus and his redemptive work on the cross.

The Bible claims and affirms its own authority. It says scripture is useful for teaching and rebuking and correcting and for training in righteousness. But it doesn’t say that belief in the inerrancy and in the infallibility of the entirety of the Old and New Testaments is a requirement for salvation.

If one believes in Jesus for salvation, but they're not sure that Jonah was really swallowed by a great fish (for example), to me, that person can still...most definitely...become a saved follower of Jesus.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by krp
word

Jesus didn’t write anything.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by krp
I believe every word Jesus said, I trust that the words attributed to Jesus through the Gospels are fairly accurate for our introduction to Christ and his life example, and I accept the Holy Spirit as my mentor and communication with God.
word
That better...? smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by krp
I believe every word Jesus said, I trust that the words attributed to Jesus through the Gospels are fairly accurate for our introduction to Christ and his life example, and I accept the Holy Spirit as my mentor and communication with God.
word
That better...?

wink

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happy_Camper: To me, the only claim of Christianity that’s required for salvation is believing and accepting God’s grace through faith in Jesus and his redemptive work on the cross.

The Bible claims and affirms its own authority. It says scripture is useful for teaching and rebuking and correcting and for training in righteousness. But it doesn’t say that belief in the inerrancy and in the infallibility of the entirety of the Old and New Testaments is a requirement for salvation.

If one believes in Jesus for salvation, but they're not sure that Jonah was really swallowed by a great fish (for example), to me, that person can still...most definitely...become a saved follower of Jesus.

But how on earth do we know that to be true?
When a Baptist knocked on my door to make his case for the gospel, I took the Bible references that he wrote down and still didn't believe his message. I had to dig out a Bible given to me by the nice Wesleyan Sunday school teachers as a gift. Then I didn't want another Roman Catholic or protestant or minister's opinion. I wanted God's opinion. Creation or Jonah wasn't what was on my mind at the time, but God's opinion about salvation was. That's when I asked and searched read the whole chapter of each verse that was provided earlier. God revealed the understanding and faith was in His written Word as the source, not that Baptist. This is only an example, but faith came by hearing the word of God. Romans 10. The messenger was important to explain the Gospel to me. I didn't take his word for it, but trusted what the Bible said as God's true Word. Faith was the result of my decision. Ephesians 2:8 " For by grace are ye saved through faith..."
All of these were very important as was the ministry of the Holy Spirit. John 16:8-11

I never looked at the Bible as an object of worship. It was the source of accurate revelation from God. I believed the Bible even as a former Catholic. The problem was with mixing faith in Christ with dead works. It was a clear explanation + Scripture that got through to me and anyone I've ever led to Christ.
I suppose that there's someone who considers the Bible as the forth member of the trinity if I were to guess, but I never met him.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
I believe in God.
Just dont beleive in alot of what man has decided to be beleived.

And it is nice to see you guys talking about it all in a back and forth rational manner.

Something that wouldnt happen if HC and his lying deceitful ways were participating on this thread.

I think God has a special place for the HC my way or the highway types who think they are God's representatives on the planet....

JMO....

Carry on gentlemen.

OMG, we might kind of sorta agree on something. Someone needs to check the temperature in hell.

I was born and raised catholic and it was pretty much beaten into me for the first 18 years of my life. I have a question. Has the Bible always been the word of God? If it has always been the word of God, why were books removed from it? We know there were at least 14 books tossed out of the bible. Some estimate allot more than that. Several of them having to do with Mary Magdalene. She was thought of as a prostitute for hundreds of years. Do you think Jesus is real happy about that? in some cases, if you had a copy of some of these books, it was considered heresy. How is owning a copy of the word of God heresy? What gave these people the right to throw God's word in the garbage?

I don't believe in organized religion. It's more corrupt than politics.

My favorite passage pointing out the hypocrisy is Mathew 19:21. My all time favorite passage is 2 Kings 2:23-24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So! Through it, with it, by it, we are thoroughly equipped for every good work............. true or not???
Jesus can reveal Himself in any manner He chooses. God doesn’t ‘only’ reveal Himself through the Bible. Jesus isn’t bound by the covers of a book.

Long before there were any Christian scriptures, there were Jesus’ followers - men and women whose faith began with an empty tomb - and no ‘the Bible.’ The fact that none of em’ had ‘the Bible’ clearly didn’t interfere with their salvation, or their ability to have communion with God, or their ability to lay the groundwork for the evangelization of the entire world.

Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to teach us, and to help us, and to advocate for us. The same Spirit of God that raised Jesus from the dead actually resides within His followers, and teaches them the things that God wants them to know, and helps them live the way that God wants them to live.

To me, ‘that’ is true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy_Camper: To me, the foundation of Christianity is not the Bible. To me, the foundation of Christianity is the event of Jesus’ Resurrection. That event launched His movement...His ekklesia...which eventually brought us the Bible.

Unbelievers in the mid-first century were never asked to become Jesus’ followers through blind faith in an authoritative New Testament that didn’t even exist yet. They were encouraged to become Jesus’ followers based on the reality of God and the reality of Jesus’ Resurrection.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
word

I thought that he wrote in red.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
Beaver10!!!!!

Antlers is most def locking up the New Beaver award catagory for 24 hr campfire common sense person of faith leader to read.

This^^^^^^^^

Antlers, has an infinity for speaking his truth that respects others and God.

He’s just a solid person and someone I would call a friend.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by krp
word

Rather profound isn't it, he could have written 14 trillion words for us to study, he could still be alive for these 2000 years writing everything there is to know about God... and still writing... when would he have started and when could he have stopped.

Or he could use the Holy Spirit for our teacher, infinite knowledge.

We only need the introduction, that's what words are for. It's not like man was getting it right so he didn't have to come. And it's judt like man to start screwing it up with excess words and arguments after he left.

Such is God's burden with man.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
People want a small God, a God they can contain in a single book, a God in the image of words they write, a God in their image.

Kent

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Happy_Camper:

Jesus used the whole Jonah and the whale story as the sign that was given to prove the resurrection from the dead. He said, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign but there shall be no sign given but the sign of the prophet Jonas who was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale." Jesus then told them that He, the Son of man would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. a sure fulfilment of the prophecy of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ -- the exact gospel that Paul gave under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost in 1Corinthians 15:1-4. I think that is called the gospel of our salvation, and I would submit , is a requirement of salvation. earlier in chapter 15, it is mentioned that if Christ was not raised from the dead, (like Jonas getting puked out of the whale's belly) we are yet in our sins. Think I'd leave that sign about Jonas alone.

shocked blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Springcove
Beaver10!!!!!

Antlers is most def locking up the New Beaver award catagory for 24 hr campfire common sense person of faith leader to read.

This^^^^^^^^

Antlers, has an infinity for speaking his truth that respects others and God.

He’s just a solid person and someone I would call a friend.

🦫

Couldn’t agree more. 🙏🏻

But would you share your WhiteClaw??? 🤔😆

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,184
Posts18,523,803
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.