Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Igloo
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=dogcatcher223]Blood trails are for bad hits or arrows...

Guys, I promise I’m not being smart.

I have many pix to illustrate I’m telling the truth.

IF you hit them in a FEW spots (1shot only), they DROP right where they are and
the only blood is ON the ground right there.

Below ear, Center neck, HI shoulder (spine) OR Spinal cord farther back.
I have pix of each of those—-no trailing.

You must know your trajectory intimately. It’s been a long time since I blood trailed a WT.

Good Luck

Jerry

Jerry, where I hunt you don’t often get the chance to ponder shot placement, as usually the deer are walking, sometimes at a good clip (I don’t take running shots). Usually they’re pretty close, but still the safest shot is tight on the shoulder no more than 1/3 of the way up. The shots you mention are just not offered with enough time (for me) to pull off with certainty. Even with heart and lungs shattered, deer can go a ways, and in heavy cover I need all the blood trail I can get. With two holes, you’ll get blood and hair at or near where the deer was standing at the shot which helps evaluate the hit, and you also get blood on trees and leaves, spray if you’re lucky. Blood drops on the ground can be hard to see on the forest floor with all the other colors, but red on grass, low branches, and tree trunks is easy.

I’ve told this before, but ten years ago in a pouring rain, I hit a buck with a .270 at about 40 yards, halfway up his chest. He swapped ends and ran off. There wasn’t a drop of blood anywhere. I went back to my spot, hoping for another opportunity, convinced I’d missed. A couple hours later, my son came through on his way out, and we look again at the spot the deer was standing at. Maybe twenty feet back, I found a clump of hair on the ground. Knowing I had made a hit, I took up the trail in the leaves. No blood, just disturbed leaves. After more than 100 yards, I saw him lying in about a foot and a half of water in a pool formed in the gully by all the runoff. When I opened him up, his lungs were mush, but the bullet, a 130gr IL, hadn’t made it through. All the blood had collected in the chest below the entrance wound. Now I try very hard to hit them well below the curve of the chest so the blood starts leaking quickly, and hopefully the heart gets hit too, or sometimes even cut free. I also use bullets that make two holes reliably.

Go heavy or go home.

GR

Shoot for bone or go home!

Goin' heavy will allow you to do either.

Through the ribs or Off-side shoulder.

GR

So does going light with a mono.
—————

Yes, Some have 1 rail minds.

Last edited by jwall; 09/04/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or even light. Never had an issue getting an 85 grain cup n core from a 243 or 6mm getting through at least 1 shoulder. Even 1 breaks a critter down right now.

Same with a 55 from a 223.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Create a good hole so you don't need a tracking dog. wink
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know what I hit, but it was with a .308 Win., 165 grain BT at 2700 fps at about 25 yards from a treestand. Stevie Wonder could've tracked it. Deer's laying in the top-center of the pic.

My .243 never did that. If I were to complain about the .243, it would be the blood trail. It would kill the hell out of deer, they just didn't leak much.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'd trade that small amount of meat for NOT trailing.....dragging.

If you've walked up a mountainside going in, lung shots are nice because they most always run downhill....so sometimes a little trailing means less dragging. If it's a rare case where I walked down the mountain then it's hard to beat busting shoulders.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The last deer I shot was hit right on the point of his right shoulder, angling back to just in front of his right thigh and found under the skin. Bullet absolutely destroyed the shoulder but didn't do a lot of damage to the lungs, some but not a lot. Deer still ran a hundred yards with almost zero blood leaking. 100 gr. Ballistic Tip from my 257 Roberts. If that had been east Texas my dog would have still found the deer, me I might not have found him. This year I am using 120 grain Partitions.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I don't know what I hit, but it was with a .308 Win., 165 grain BT at 2700 fps at about 25 yards from a treestand. Stevie Wonder could've tracked it. Deer's laying in the top-center of the pic.

My .243 never did that. If I were to complain about the .243, it would be the blood trail. It would kill the hell out of deer, they just didn't leak much.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That is the kind of blood trail I like, wide and short!

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
The last deer I shot was hit right on the point of his right shoulder, angling back to just in front of his right thigh and found under the skin. Bullet absolutely destroyed the shoulder but didn't do a lot of damage to the lungs, some but not a lot. Deer still ran a hundred yards with almost zero blood leaking. 100 gr. Ballistic Tip from my 257 Roberts. If that had been east Texas my dog would have still found the deer, me I might not have found him. This year I am using 120 grain Partitions.

Rick. No criticism.

The point of shoulder is too low for CNS and can’t
be depended on to drop a deer.

Hi Shoulder really means Spinal contact same
for Neck etc.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/04/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Agreed but high shoulder means loosing some backstrap. That 100 gr. Ballistic tip would certainly have dropped that deer but it would have at that angle destroyed a lot of backstrap. Not to sound like Ted Nugent but backstrap is one of the reasons I shoot deer!

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
goalie
I have not lost enuff meat to 'matter'. ?Maybe? a handful ?
You have to try it to see.

My response to meat loss with CNS.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I seen a couple of deer hit right, had a large hole on the exit side, and ran around 25 yards before there was any blood and then there was a wide heavy blood trail. The deer were down a few feet after the blood trail started.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
goalie
I have not lost enuff meat to 'matter'. ?Maybe? a handful ?
You have to try it to see.

My response to meat loss with CNS.

Jerry

I saw that but prefer a little walking to destroying backstrap. In fact usually I take neck shots and even then have has some bloodshot travel into the backstraps. Plus I have to keep my tracking dog in shape.

Dog I rescued in January

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess I have the luxury of hunting in mostly open country... no crawling through brush, they either drop right there or run a few yards... that being said, I rarely shoot once. I don't stop shooting until it's down.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Blood trails are for bad hits or arrows...

Exactly...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I guess I have the luxury of hunting in mostly open country... no crawling through brush, they either drop right there or run a few yards... that being said, I rarely shoot once. I don't stop shooting until it's down.

Yes, I learned a long time ago to put the hurt on em, or shiit gets ugly... Deer get smashed through the shoulders, don't like boning em out anyway, and the stay put. Its pretty nice huntin open country for sure. Another vote for, shoot til they stop wiggling...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This deer was shot with a 308 150 gr Accubond, she bled well.

Exit wound, the bullet entered just behind the onside shoulder and exited at the back of the ribs on the offside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda like Model Sixes myself. Finally found a very nice one a few years back, updated the mounts and got it dialed in for the next guy. Satisfied my curiosity, then moved it on. It shot my standard ‘06 deer load, 150gr NP over 46gr of H4895 pretty well, just as every other rifle I’ve tried in in has. Probably should have held onto it long enough to shoot a deer, but I get itchy once a project like that is finished.

You’re lucky to have a place to hunt like that. I was too, for about 28 years, and with a good friend tossed in as well. All gone now, so it’s Public Land for me now. Bought a crossbow a few years ago so I can hunt under low-traffic conditions. I still can get some standing opportunities with that, but not all.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Learn to track and you won’t need one either, usually.

Much as I prefer DRT, an interesting tracking job is well, interesting, especially if it’s someone else’s deer to gut and drag out once the puzzle is solved.

My state just legalized tracking dogs, a good idea I suppose, but I'm out of the dog business now.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Kinda like Model Sixes myself. Finally found a very nice one a few years back, updated the mounts and got it dialed in for the next guy. Satisfied my curiosity, then moved it on. It shot my standard ‘06 deer load, 150gr NP over 46gr of H4895 pretty well, just as every other rifle I’ve tried in in has. Probably should have held onto it long enough to shoot a deer, but I get itchy once a project like that is finished.

You’re lucky to have a place to hunt like that. I was too, for about 28 years, and with a good friend tossed in as well. All gone now, so it’s Public Land for me now. Bought a crossbow a few years ago so I can hunt under low-traffic conditions. I still can get some standing opportunities with that, but not all.

Thnx Pappy

That property belongs to my Widowed Aunt and she's in poor health. Don't know how long that will last.
I have moved (2012) back to my home stomping grounds and have relatives where I can hunt BUT under diff circumstances.

Yes, I'm VERY thankful for my hunting situation. 40 years of hunting I did NOT have this situarion.
This is my 10 tenth season here and I'm 71 so.............. who knows the future. ONE day at a time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=roundoak]Create a good hole so you don't need a tracking dog. wink

----------------------------------------

Doak ! grin
I've complimented you on that deer before. YEOWZIR !! cool

Now.... I would NOT attempt to DRAG him now !!!!! Somehow ? I'd find a mechanical advantage to retrieve him.
One would be... I have a retired rodeo roping horse ( I'm not a roper ) but he's used to things being tied to him.
He will drag a Log or heavy fence post so......

I have a 4 wheeler so... I have a 4X4 truck so....

I AIN'T draggin a brute like that.

I ain't a wuss.... I'm OLD. cry..... laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have bowhunted for 35 years. I have a little experience with trails.

I have seen it all, good, bad, and incredible blood trails.

I am also fortunate to hunt open country and the Black Hills. I can honestly say that with my firearms experience, bloodtrails are not needed to find critters and usually an anecdotal observation.

I have never experienced the nasty thickets of the south, but have experienced S Texas brush country and bloodtrailed archery killed hogs and javelina through that terrain.

Last edited by CRS; 09/05/21.

Arcus Venator
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,726
Posts18,475,896
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.