Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by antlers
Thousands of Jews and Gentiles understood the truth of the Gospel before the New Testament was ever even written.

That does not in anyway mean the Bible is not the inspired word of God. The Bible was written by men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. When does not matter in the least.

This Bible is God's written word, Old Hat. Never let these heretics convince you any different. We are willing to submit ourselves to it's divine authority. They are not. That speaks volumes. They are ever leaning but never able to come to the truth, from such turn away.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Thousands of Jews and Gentiles understood the truth of the Gospel before the New Testament was ever even written.

That does not in anyway mean the Bible is not the inspired word of God. The Bible was written by men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. When does not matter in the least.

This Bible is God's written word, Old Hat. Never let these heretics convince you any different. We are willing to submit ourselves to it's divine authority. They are not. That speaks volumes. They are ever leaning but never able to come to the truth, from such turn away.

Just in case you didn't get the context of this statement,

"I suppose that there's someone who considers the Bible as the forth member of the trinity if I were to guess, but I never met him."

I was answering antlers statement that people look at the bible as God Himself. I've been as transparent as anybody on the forums about my beliefs. So, I just wanted to make sure there's not been any misunderstanding.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
To you, I will say, "It ain't much of a faith that can not withstand a little questioning".
Ain't that the truth?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hastings,

There's at least half a dozen members who do everything they can to undermine the faith of babes in Christ and potential faith of unbelievers. For unbelievers who trust in their good works, it's the difference between heaven and hell. I will answer sincere questions all evening. However, I have little patience for those who just want to sew discord among brethren and send unbelievers to hell. I'm not saying that it's you. You could probably list those I'm referring to.

I Tim..6:12
"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life..."

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/03/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How did you learn about Jesus and salvation through grace?
My grandfather initially told me about it when I was a boy.
You are being elusive, which tells me you are not interested in engaging in honest discussion. You know full well he read it in the Bible or someone taught him who read it from the Bible. It came from the Bible.
Do you think that God ‘only’ reveals Himself through the Bible...? Do you think that Jesus is bound by the covers of a book...? Do you not think there are any truths about God outside of the Bible...? Do you not think that the Holy Spirit does for us what Jesus Himself said that He sent Him for...?
Everything we know about God, Jesus Christ and salvation was and is gotten from the Bible. The Bible IS the canonical source of special revelation from God. We rely on it. Every single time people stray from the Bible spiritual ruin results.
I disagree with you. Wholeheartedly.
And respectfully.

You are saying the whole salvation story you have in your head came from dreams and family revelations. I don't believe you for a minute.

Such circumstances are where false messiahs come from. The VERY ideas germinating your questions to me about the Holy Spirit and special revelation come from the Bible and you know it because you have read it and are now conforming your anti Scripture ideas to Scripture.

I believe God reveals Himself through natural revelation and special revelation. Natural revelation is the evidence of God in the world around us (Rom 1:20). Special revelation is the communication of the Holy Spirit with our spirit (Acts 2:17). I believe ANY so called special revelation which contradicts the Holy Scripture (which is the word of God) is false 2 Tim 3:16.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It means that the men and women who actually knew Jesus personally and chose to follow Him...people like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James, Andrew, Mary, Martha, and Paul...the men and women whose faith laid the groundwork for the evangelization of the entire world, did so without having the Bible itself. And they also received salvation without having the Bible itself, as did many, many followers of Jesus who came after them.

This is a red herring which you drag about to obscure the central question of whether the Bible is a source of Truth - real Truth. It is. The Bible is Holy and the inspired word of God. Being inspired and Holy it is infallible.

First, everyone saved in the earliest centuries post the resurrection did have Scripture. They had the Old Testament. Christ HIMSELF used Scripture to demonstrate He was who He said He was. He used it as proof of His identity and purpose. Second, the ONLY reason you know what you are saying here is because the Bible tells us these truths. So you are using Scripture to say Scripture is unimportant. That is logical non-sense.

Again, it does not matter at all that the full canon was not yet gathered together during the first evangelical missions. There was no Old Testament when Abraham was saved through faith. Yet, Christ preached from the Old Testament. God chose through His wisdom to use Paul and others as powerful witnesses to His completed plan of salvation.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
1 John 5:7 is, of course, referring to Jesus.
Yep. So is John 1:14, which was also referenced. “Word” as it’s used by Apostle John in his Gospel in the very first verse is a translation of the Greek λόγος (logos), and is widely interpreted by translators and Bible scholars as referring to Jesus, as indicated by other verses later in the same chapter (verses 14-17).

It’s: In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God.

It’s not: In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God.

If you are agreeing with Jim and I on those verses, then I think we have a consensus. The translation is "word" for a reason.
Why Jesus is called the "word" is up for debate, but I want to go on the record as believing that the Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are the Trinity, just in case there's any confusion.

I agree with you HC regarding the Trinity. It is a bed rock Scriptural concept which if denied is a sure indicator of heresy. I fellowship with many questions who have differing interpretations about some verses in the Bile. I have no problem with this. I personally will never fellowship with someone who denies the Trinity.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You learned about salvation from the Bible and you know full well you did. You would not know about salvation by grace if it were not for the Bible.
I learned about math from a math book. And I learned about science from a science book. The books are very important. But that doesn’t elevate those books to the level of importance as the actual math and the actual science themselves...!

I affirm the inspiration of scripture and it’s tremendous importance, but I’m not even close to putting it at the center of my faith, or of making belief in its infallibility and inerrancy necessary for my salvation.

Some practice bibliolatry...I don’t. To me, the Bible isn’t co-equal to believing in Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross, in particular when it comes to salvation. To me, faith in Jesus is enough, I don’t also have to believe in the sanctity of the entire Old and/or New Testaments.

Again with your elusive red herrings and obfuscation. This speaks volumes. Nothing in your response addressed what you quoted from me. You use the Bible as a source of truth for your beliefs. It is obvious and you know it. You even use the Bible as your bases for being anti Bible.

I know of no one who worships the Bible. I know a lot of people who believe the Bible is the inspired inerrant special revelation given to us by God using fallible men to write the words on paper.

Since it is obvious you read and believe many many things in the Bible. The only remaining question is what do you chose to reject. Do you accept the writings of Paul as inspired Scripture?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
[You learned about salvation from the Bible and you know full well you did. You would not know about salvation by grace if it were not for the Bible.
I learned about math from a math book. And I learned about science from a science book. The books are very important. But that doesn’t elevate those books to the level of importance as the actual math and the actual science themselves...!

I affirm the inspiration of scripture and it’s tremendous importance, but I’m not even close to putting it at the center of my faith, or of making belief in its infallibility and inerrancy necessary for my salvation.

Some practice bibliolatry...I don’t. To me, the Bible isn’t co-equal to believing in Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross, in particular when it comes to salvation. To me, faith in Jesus is enough, I don’t also have to believe in the sanctity of the entire Old and/or New Testaments.

🎤

So beaver, do you believe in the redemptive works of Christ on the cross? Or are you simply engaging in "lets you and him fight."?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is a red herring which you drag about to obscure the central question of whether the Bible is a source of Truth - real Truth. It is. The Bible is Holy and the inspired word of God. Being inspired and Holy it is infallible.

First, everyone saved in the earliest centuries post the resurrection did have Scripture. They had the Old Testament. Christ HIMSELF used Scripture to demonstrate He was who He said He was. He used it as proof of His identity and purpose. Second, the ONLY reason you know what you are saying here is because the Bible tells us these truths. So you are using Scripture to say Scripture is unimportant. That is logical non-sense.

Again, it does not matter at all that the full canon was not yet gathered together during the first evangelical missions. There was no Old Testament when Abraham was saved through faith. Yet, Christ preached from the Old Testament. God chose through His wisdom to use Paul and others as powerful witnesses to His completed plan of salvation.
Well, if the bible cannot be examined and must be taken literally and the authors of the New Testament cannot be examined or their veracity challenged then it is settled. There is no discussion to be had with you. The creation is only 5 or 6 thousands years old and was created in six 24 hour days despite all evidence to the contrary. The earth including Mount Everest and Denali were under water in the great flood. Paul didn't lie when he claimed he was transported into the 3rd level of heaven.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

To you, I will say, "It ain't much of a faith that can not withstand a little questioning".

"Do not participate in the useless deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them;" Eph 5:11

Speaking for myself, I could care less what people on the internet think about my ability to handle questioning. I was saved at 16 in a tiny country Baptist church. I had a lot of questions during the first decade or so. I asked and sought out the most difficult questions regarding the truth of what was really going on in the world spiritually. God lead me though some tough times and still does. He is faithful and true!

Many decades later and I have heard it all multiple times. I've heard all the atheists, agnostics, pagans, satanists, apostates and heretics have to say. It's all bullshit and empty. I still have empathy for the new seeker, but I have learned there are many jaded and hardened self promoters in the world.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Amen.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Hastings
Paul didn't lie when he claimed he was transported into the 3rd level of heaven.

Do you believe Christ was resurrected from the dead? Which is the greater miracle Paul's claim or the resurrection of a 3 day old dead body?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just to be clear, debate and interpretation of Scripture is normal and to be expected. There is room in The Church for such and I will gladly fellowship with many denominations with whom I disagree on interpretation. That is very different from the complete undermining of the Bible. By claiming the Bible is just a bunch of written words akin to a history book clearly allows false teachers free reign to distort the message from God.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1 John 5:7 is, of course, referring to Jesus.
Yep. So is John 1:14, which was also referenced. “Word” as it’s used by Apostle John in his Gospel in the very first verse is a translation of the Greek λόγος (logos), and is widely interpreted by translators and Bible scholars as referring to Jesus, as indicated by other verses later in the same chapter (verses 14-17).

It’s: In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God.

It’s not: In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God.

If you are agreeing with Jim and I on those verses, then I think we have a consensus. The translation is "word" for a reason.
Why Jesus is called the "word" is up for debate, but I want to go on the record as believing that the Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are the Trinity, just in case there's any confusion.

I agree with you HC regarding the Trinity. It is a bed rock Scriptural concept which if denied is a sure indicator of heresy. I fellowship with many questions who have differing interpretations about some verses in the Bile. I have no problem with this. I personally will never fellowship with someone who denies the Trinity.

If I remember correctly, that was one of the Fundamentals written about by Southern Baptist J. Frank Norris.
That term was used a hundred years ago to describe the doctrines that were well established throughout Scripture.
You just mentioned a couple more like , inspiration of the written Word, the person of Christ, redemption through faith in Him alone. These are taken for granted by most of us who read and believe the Bible. At the time of Norris' pastorate, he disputed with the liberal pastors of the SBC over issues like evolution and creation. Even in a large Southern Baptist Bible college of his day, they were teaching darwinian evolution as fact, among other heresies. He and others wanted the denomination to go back and re-establish the fundamental basic distinctives that evangelical conservative, Bible believing christianity was based upon.
From what I can tell, in the 1980s there was a demonization of the term as the islamic religions were being labeled "Fundamentalists". It took 5 seconds for the liberal pastors, media and govmt to use this to intentionally demonize christianity with this term. Look at who their enemies are today? Peaceful, conservative christians who stand in their devil's way to world tyranny. If they had their way, the gospel would be silenced and Jesus'name would be but a curse word.
Bible literalist who believed as we, who make up the majority of christianity in north amerIca for the past many decades, were in fact be refered to as fundamentalists by liberals like Izh who started this thread. Rather than acknowledge the fact of what the term really meant for the past century, they redefined it to turn the ignorant public against true christians.
Notice how he, IZH, demonizes us with the term and equates those who believe in the fundamentals of the faith with the Islamic radicals who are known to murder christians like us throughout the middle east. He established a false definition (lied) which suits his agenda to undermine the clear teachings of Scripture on this message board. He, along with beaver, NVhunter biden, lvmike reprobate, rene' 50, Jim the Conman etc. have been trying their hardest to attack doctrines essential to Christ's free gift of salvation since I first proclaimed it. They probably did this with others who cared enough to share this long before I joined too.
I'm explaining this to you since you have spiritual eye's to see and display the spiritual courage to not worry what those demonic trolls think about you.
If they want to attack me in order to silence the message embedded in my signature, so be it. I'll just redouble my efforts. There's doors to knock on and people everywhere that need to be saved.

Happy Camper

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/04/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Paul didn't lie when he claimed he was transported into the 3rd level of heaven.

Do you believe Christ was resurrected from the dead? Which is the greater miracle Paul's claim or the resurrection of a 3 day old dead body?
I believe Jesus was EXACTLY who he claimed to be. There is no valid comparison in your example. Jesus was never caught lying. If in fact someone named Paul did write the writings attributed to him he could be impeached and his testimony could be destroyed by even an inexperienced interrogator.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Do you believe in Joseph Smith's similar claims of Paul, is the book of Mormon scripture? Can a Mormon who disregards Paul and embraces Joseph Smith be saved?

Kent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by krp

Do you believe in Joseph Smith's similar claims of Paul, NO! is the book of Mormon scripture? NO! Can a Mormon who disregards Paul and embraces Joseph Smith be saved? That's NOT my call!

Kent

I would note that Zech 12/13 speaks of 'a Day' and in/on that day prophets would be removed from the land. There had been prophets 'in the land' from before Noah through the 'Day' mentioned in Zech...........
J Smith came well after that...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I believe Jesus was EXACTLY who he claimed to be. There is no valid comparison in your example. Jesus was never caught lying. If in fact someone named Paul did write the writings attributed to him he could be impeached and his testimony could be destroyed by even an inexperienced interrogator.

If you deny He physically died and his dead body rose from the dead then you don't believe in Jesus The Christ. What Jesus do you believe in?

Do you believe in any miracles? Do you believe Jesus raised physically dead people from the dead?

Jesus's claims come from the Bible. So what books in the Bible do you believe? Do you believe any of the Gospel accounts? Do you believe Jesus when He said the Old Testament testified of Him? Do you believe the Old testament as Christ did?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by krp

Do you believe in Joseph Smith's similar claims of Paul, is the book of Mormon scripture? Can a Mormon who disregards Paul and embraces Joseph Smith be saved?

Kent

No, of course not, a cursory study of Joseph Smith tells us he was an occultist and obtained the book of mormon through scrying (which is demonic). No, one cannot be saved through Mormonism.

"When they say to you, “Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter,” should a people not consult their God? Should they consult the dead in behalf of the living?" Isaiah 8:19

I don't know what the purpose of your questions are. I'm a Christian. It should go with out saying there are many faiths I reject and don't believe in. No point is made by pointing this out.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.