Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m curious as to what areas of Montana have the most elk. I have heard that the southwest might have the most. Which areas have the most hunting pressure?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is no place in MT that has abundant elk and low hunting pressure.
As for the most elk I would go with Central Montana.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes Central MT has the second largest elk heard in the state. The problem is most if not all of it is behind locked fences.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I knew of a place in Montana with lots of elk and low hunting pressure... I would sure not tell any one of it...

Buy a tag... put on some boots...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mikieb
If I knew of a place in Montana with lots of elk and low hunting pressure... I would sure not tell any one of it...

I have a general tag and myself and two pairs of boots are headed to Montana on Monday morning.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 79inpa

I have a general tag and myself and two pairs of boots are headed to Montana on Monday morning.

That's a good deal... you are smart to bring two pair of boots. It's a big state.... hard to narrow it down to just a few spots. They had a severe drought in Montana... Forage for elk to eat is gonna be sparse...

Good luck and let us know what you find... (generally speaking of coarse)

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With all the brown growlies in that state, I'd think there was lots of elk, especially around the SW part. They seem to keep chewing on all the elk hunters - thinning out the competition I suppose.

I even saw MT F&G put out a statement this year saying "expect to see bears". As much as I love MT, I stay away from elk hunting much of the western half for that reason. I cant imagine running into one in tbe dark. I've been too close to several, one with 2 cubs and I'm not a fan of those encounters. They are certainly to be "respected", mostly from a goodly distance. I feel like hunting in dense grizzly country is simply an odds game - given enough exposure, you're going to have a run in. In the end, I'm not afraid of grizzly's, I'm just really afraid of them wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I were a NR hunter Montana would be low on my list of states to hunt.

79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker

I hear you on that. The problem is that point creep for the western states getting g bad enough that I wish to have a few favorite hunting spots in all of the western states. That way I could more feasibly hunt for elk every year.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

The east slope from Browning to south of Augusta have Griz. out on the prairies. So that means they are in the foothills too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hell they are central MT too. Pretty soon there won't be a place in MT where they aren't. As the crow flies the Feds killed a griz 20 miles from my house. They are in the Snowies and the Little Belts.

79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good info on the bears!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I hear you on that. The problem is that point creep for the western states getting g bad enough that I wish to have a few favorite hunting spots in all of the western states. That way I could more feasibly hunt for elk every year.

Colorado has OTC tags. Wyoming has much better hunting. I'd put in for Wyoming and hunt CO if I didn't draw unless you just want to go for a nature walk with a rifle.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/08/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Such a place doesn't exist.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good info on the bears!

Grizzly can be found just about every place that has elk in MT. However in many places like the snowies these are just transients. With that said you always have to be aware. Hunting places like the gravely range or anywhere near the south west border of the state you need to be very aware.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/08/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Whaaat? Oh yes it does.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

Whaaat? Oh yes it does.

Maybe the N Bar.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good info on the bears!

Grizzly can be found just about every place that has elk in MT. However in many places like the snowies these are just transients. With that said you always have to be aware. Hunting places like the gravely range or anywhere near the south west border of the state you need to be very aware.

They may or may not be transient. A rancher east of the snowies saw a young griz on his place and 15 years ago a rancher south of us says he has seen pictures of grizzlies in the snowies. Pictures are not conclusive though. But, the F&G does consider the Little Belts griz country now with food storage requirements. Griz have been seen on the east side of the Little Belts which is just a short distance from the snowies.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

Whaaat? Oh yes it does.

Maybe the N Bar.

Yeah the N-Bar. Large herd, big bulls and locked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ipopum

The east slope from Browning to south of Augusta have Griz. out on the prairies. So that means they are in the foothills too.

They were that far east 25 years ago. At least were told that in Choteau just before packing into the Bob Marshall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.