Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Have they replaced/ bought out McWhorter Rifles? I have a number of Mc Whorter rifles and they are fantastic shooter along with being very well made

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tim McWhorter left McWhorter Rifles and has now opened Flat Creek Rifles. McWhorter Rifles continues to operate under that name, without Tim there. See how long that lasts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whats the story behind Tim leaving??

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Also curious: He seems like a nice guy and built me a beautiful rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dealt with Allan Rovig one time....it was the last!!!!

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Instead of going to Mcworter would it be better to go with Tim. I have their rifles that Tim built but all the load data is with Mcworter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is their data magical?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
McWhorter rifles has been owned by Allan Rovig for many years. Tim left recently. This move will not impact the quality and accuracy of a McWhorter rifle. They have a young prodigy builder that's turning out quarter inch rifles routinely. It's become the norm. The future is as bright as ever for McWhorter rifles.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like a paid political announcement.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not even close. Been working with that team for a dozen years.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still will take the master over the prodigy any day.

GA precision all day long
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Best of luck

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
McWhorter Rifles....without Tim McWhorter. I think not.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Tim McWhorter is a very good gunsmith for sure - no debate there . For several years now he has done a good percentage of the chambering at MCR, Inc. The remainder of chambering , and all long range muzzleloader work has been done by Dustin Waters, who has been trained by Tim for many years and his skills further honed by Jim Borden, probably the best in the business. All other aspects such as cerakoting, stress-free bedding, custom painting, barrel break-in and load development, testing to guarantee sub 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards, Optics, In-field shooting aids, and a Long Range shooting school for customers, has been done by the other members of the MCR team.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Then at least change the name. They're drawing on the reputation of a well-respected gunsmith that is no longer there.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Allan Rovig has been there for 16 years now and McWhorter Rifles was unknown back before that. He came up with innovation after innovation, designing stocks, coming up with chamberings, designing the perfect reamers, etc. not to mention making sure personally that every rifle that went out shot 1/2 MOA or better. And All of the Support for shooters and hunters needed just above and beyond an accurate rifle to be successful in the field. The TV shows that have been running for 14 years showing just what the rifles will do... etc. He then bought the company over 8 years ago and made the decision to keep the name that he had worked so hard to make well respected. . So if you are Allan after all this hard work to make a name, do you then change it because Tim decides to go out on his own?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok so I will now chime in on this topic. Tim McWhorter left McWhorter custom rifles in June/July timeframe. He and Allan are no longer associated. Tim is starting Flat Creek precision rifles(see link below). To be fair I do not work for or am associated in anyway with either company. Jimbob on the other hand is both a pro staff and works on McWhorter's website. Here is all you need to no Jimbob had not posted on this website since 2017 before this post. Tim McWhorter has been building rifles for as long as the PRODIGY has been alive. Dustin Waters was Tim's stepson also and Tim did train him on gunsmithing and I am sure he will be a great smith someday if he has the desire to. The fact is you don't become a great gunsmith overnight. This whole Jim Borden thing is pretty funny since he sells McWhorter a couple hundred actions a year and I am sure he don't want to see the golden egg hurt. I sent a couple rifle parts for builds from McWhorter's earlier this year that I needed to get back. I will say they are nice rifle. We had a couple hiccups but Allan did fix them. I am sure McWhorter custom rifle will be fine. I think they will have some hiccups moving forward. Tim McWhorter will do fine as well also, he is truly one of the best precision rifle makers in the industry for many years. I look forward to owning some of his rifles. I have had about 10 McWhorter rifles over the years and all were super nice rifles. As I said before give me the master over the prodigy any day.

Email: flatcreekriflesgmail.com
Phone: (229) 599-0029
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FlatCreekPrecisionRifles/

GA precision all day long
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
hey jim bob.no disrespect intended.but both mr rovig and mr mcwhorters rifles are very nice.anyone who wants to spend that kind of money on a rem clone action enjoy and be happy.personally if i was going to spend that kind of money i would use jim borden.been at this custom built thing for almost 40 years.i could name you many smiths today who could build there equal or better for much less money.just a fact and reality.as stated there is nothing wrong with either.but way overpriced.good shooting and hunting to all.this also extends to mcwhorters muzzleloaders.they are phenominal but again overpriced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bumping this purely to say that recently I have discussed a rifle build with both Allan at McWhorter and Tim/Charlie at Flat Creek.

Very difficult decision as I honestly believe both will turn out a great piece.

If I was more foolish I’d order the exact rifle from both to compare. That would be cool….

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I wanted a McWhorter rifle, I'd buy one made by Tim McWhorter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,295
Posts18,487,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.