Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am better at shooting 300 yards then I am at guessing how far that is. Sometimes 400 looks like 200 and 200 looks like 400.

I remember antelope hunting with my daughter and we were making a stalk on a nice buck in a wide open stubble field. My range finder battery decided to take a dump the night before so we were playing the guessing game. I got to where I thought 300 was but decided we better keep going just to be sure. We kept belly crawling closer every time the buck dozed off. Finally ran out of terrain and had made a fair distance from where I thought 300 was. I was confident were were somewhere inside 300 but honestly couldn't tell you if it was 240, 270, or 299. I told her to hold at the top of the vitals just in case we were a little further then I thought.

After what felt like an eternity the buck decides to stand and stretch a little. He didn't get a chance to take a full step before my daughter sent a 100 grain Sierra Gameking through the boiler room. Stepped it off and it was right at 271 long steps. I am glad we kept going as my initial guess would likely have been well over 300 and further then she had ever shot before.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am more limited by the opportunities provided by the terrain of where I hunt than a personal limit. But I am doubtful I would take a poke at a deer out past 300. Something bigger , under the right conditions maybe.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mart
I don't shoot at unwounded game at over 300 yards. Not because I cannot make a shot at 400 or 500 yards, but because the Murphy variables grow exponentially in the field after 300 yards. Too many things can go wrong after 300 yards that the hunter in the field is unaware of or unable to control. Unexpected side breeze at 450 yards, animal moves a step during the time of flight, stem of heavy grass unseen, etc.

From what I've seen at the range and in the field most hunters spend far too much time on the bench and not enough time shooting from some realistic field positions. And from what I've seen of hunters shooting without crutches, most should limit their shots to less than 100 yards, maybe less.

I run into a growing number of hunters who carry a ton of equipment to the field and brag about what their rifle will do at 600 yards. For a day pack, I wear a surveyors vest with my lunch, some water, flagging tape, compass, GPS (though I rarely use it anymore), fire starting equipment and a write in the rain small note book. I have my rifle, knife and binocular and often a small 22 handgun on my hip. If I remember, I'll throw in a varmint call for fun. I have never liked packing a bunch of unnecessary junk (bipods, rangefinders, etc.) with me and I'm far more impressed with someone who can get close to an animal before the shot than I am with someone who snipes an animal at 600 yards.

I spent from 1981-2002 hunting the wide open country of Eastern Washington and while I made some long shots early in my hunting career, I came to realize it was far more enjoyable and productive to close the distance. Not hard to do using the terrain to one's advantage. And if I couldn't close the distance I waited for another opportunity. I'm not owed an animal simply because I have a tag. Maybe I should repeat that. I'm not owed an animal simply because I have a tag. I see too much of that attitude in the ranks of hunters and many seem justified in taking low percentage shots or shots beyond their skill level because it's late in the season, the last day of their hunt, a lot of hunting pressure, and on and on.

I like to see us as hunters learn how to hunt again and how to shoot. Unaided and unsupported. Bipods and rests are great but lets learn to actually shoot as well. Learn to take advantage of what rests are available, but be able to make a shot off hand if needed. And limit one's self to a realistic distance based on our abilities. Not every shot lends itself to a back pack or bipod assisted shot.

Great post👍

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shoot High Power matches pretty regularly. That being said, I refuse to shoot at an unwounded animal past 250yds. If I cannot get closer, I wave them good bye. I have taken 90% of my game at less than 150yds.
Thanks, Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leatherneck
Assuming no range finders, no fancy scopes, etc. Just a rifle and simple variable scope, are there any guys here who have a personal limit of 300 yard shots and less?
I am trying to decide between a .308 and .270 (maybe a .30-06). Being honest with myself I don't practice shooting much and am one of those guys that picks up a rifle only during hunting season. Vast majority of guys in my area are probably like this.
Is shooting to 400 yards pretty darn tough for these types of hunters? Would a 130 grain from a .270 make going from 300 to 400 yards much easier than a .308/.30-06?

It seems like all the guys on internet forums make it seem like shots to 400 yards are no big deal for them. I know the internet makes people more confident for a lot of things compared to real life.

Just looking for advice from all you hunters here who are way more experienced than I.

While I shoot aperture sighted M1 Rifles out to 500 yards...

For the field, against game, 300 yards is a long way out for the scoped M70 .270 Win/150 gr. I hunt w/, and 400 is pretty much max.

Any comp round/rifle will do fine.

GR

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While 90% of my game is taken at under 200, I typically know what I and a particular gun setup can do out to its limits or 5-600….whichever comes first. I don’t WANT to shoot an animal past 300, but needs must sometimes…..cull /management/varmints etc. helluva lot easier to work your way in….with both your movement on game or proficiency with a rifle, than work it the other way…..so I try to practice farther out and get closer, when I can. I enjoy practicing my shooting from various positions, that don’t require prone these days. LOL Most stuff I head out with around here is a 300 and in setup or capability for me. Hard right now to get the time required behind a setup for me to check that ‘past 300 box’. I’m fine with 308 class stuff for most things.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've only shot one deer at 300 yards and it wasn't pretty. Using a 300 Savage, I underestimated the range and my first shot hit him in the knee a good 18 inches below where I had aimed. I over compensated and put one over his back as he got up. My third shot hit the spine and it was over. I'd been hunting this same Kentucky property for 18 years and there were only a couple of places where 300 yards was even possible. My average is probably 80. Until that shot my furthest shots had been 225 yards, and those were using flatter shooting rounds. These days I try to keep shots at 200 or a little more. The furthest I can shoot at the range I belong to is 200 yards so it seems to be a practical limit. Ohio has a straight wall cartridge requirement for rifle hunting so a 200 yard sight in works well for a 444 Marlin.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most all of my deer hunting has been done in areas where I could only see maybe 125 yards. The few times I have hunted out west where I could get a long shot, the game showed up close. The one time I took a long shot was at a pronghorn the guide thought was about 225 yards out, but I held a little high anyway because it looked further to me. Turns out it was 350 yards. I got lucky with that one. I wouldn't take a long shot without a good rangefinder. I just don't have enough experience in actual hunting situations to accurately judge ranges that far out. I'll get closer or pass on it.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mostly 150 and under but occasionally over 500 if that's as close as I can get and I have the range determined, no wind and a rock solid hold. No offhand shots over 150 anymore.

God Bless America
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The shorter the better.

The way life should be.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
300 yards with a magnum rifle, from a supported position, in calm conditions is a chip shot. Have proven that with new shooters many times. Past that with the wind up...

I shoot at distance more than almost anyone I personally know, which compared to real hardcore shooters still isn't a lot, but when the target is living I stick to 300 in calm conditions or less depending on wind.

I think most people who shoot past that are ignorant of what happens and/or don't really mind wounding an animal. Obviously there is a minority who take the time to develop the skill, but they seem a minority. I only know a couple who take the time.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 09/07/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
300 yards with a magnum rifle, from a supported position, in calm conditions is a chip shot.

Add 7mm-08 to that list and your statement remains accurate.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by mart
I don't shoot at unwounded game at over 300 yards. Not because I cannot make a shot at 400 or 500 yards, but because the Murphy variables grow exponentially in the field after 300 yards. Too many things can go wrong after 300 yards that the hunter in the field is unaware of or unable to control. Unexpected side breeze at 450 yards, animal moves a step during the time of flight, stem of heavy grass unseen, etc.

From what I've seen at the range and in the field most hunters spend far too much time on the bench and not enough time shooting from some realistic field positions. And from what I've seen of hunters shooting without crutches, most should limit their shots to less than 100 yards, maybe less.

I run into a growing number of hunters who carry a ton of equipment to the field and brag about what their rifle will do at 600 yards. For a day pack, I wear a surveyors vest with my lunch, some water, flagging tape, compass, GPS (though I rarely use it anymore), fire starting equipment and a write in the rain small note book. I have my rifle, knife and binocular and often a small 22 handgun on my hip. If I remember, I'll throw in a varmint call for fun. I have never liked packing a bunch of unnecessary junk (bipods, rangefinders, etc.) with me and I'm far more impressed with someone who can get close to an animal before the shot than I am with someone who snipes an animal at 600 yards.

I spent from 1981-2002 hunting the wide open country of Eastern Washington and while I made some long shots early in my hunting career, I came to realize it was far more enjoyable and productive to close the distance. Not hard to do using the terrain to one's advantage. And if I couldn't close the distance I waited for another opportunity. I'm not owed an animal simply because I have a tag. Maybe I should repeat that. I'm not owed an animal simply because I have a tag. I see too much of that attitude in the ranks of hunters and many seem justified in taking low percentage shots or shots beyond their skill level because it's late in the season, the last day of their hunt, a lot of hunting pressure, and on and on.

I like to see us as hunters learn how to hunt again and how to shoot. Unaided and unsupported. Bipods and rests are great but lets learn to actually shoot as well. Learn to take advantage of what rests are available, but be able to make a shot off hand if needed. And limit one's self to a realistic distance based on our abilities. Not every shot lends itself to a back pack or bipod assisted shot.

Great post👍

Amen.....pass the plate

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good shooting

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes. I haven't been practicing as much as I'd like given pricing/availability of ammunition and components, but most times I get out my .270 I shoot beyond 300 yards. I can hit a gong at 550 every time with a 4x optic.

My personal limit on game is much shorter than that. It seems logical to practice with further/tougher targets for a real challenge. If you're able to take 500-600-yard shots consistently on inanimate targets in real-world conditions (get off the bench!), a 300-yard shot on a game animal will be a non-event.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DeoVindice
Yes. I haven't been practicing as much as I'd like given pricing/availability of ammunition and components, but most times I get out my .270 I shoot beyond 300 yards. I can hit a gong at 550 every time with a 4x optic.

My personal limit on game is much shorter than that. It seems logical to practice with further/tougher targets for a real challenge. If you're able to take 500-600-yard shots consistently on inanimate targets in real-world conditions (get off the bench!), a 300-yard shot on a game animal will be a non-event.

I agree Deo.

There is NO moral High Ground to NOT shoot living animals past 200-300 yds.

DEAD is Dead. Practice and to paraphrase Clint E. Know your limitations.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The older I get the farther 300yds is especially when I don't want to cross a big nasty canyon to look for blood. Growing up in Tucson we would go out to Three
Points range and shoot Silueta Metalico (200 -500 meters off hand at chickens, pigs,turkeys and rams.) That was fun,without the suffering a bad shot would cause.

Greater love has no one than this,that he lay down his life for his friends.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you do not practice past 100 yards or 200 & or 300 yards, then as a responsible hunter you will do yourself & the game a favor to limit your hunting distance accordingly.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been shooting for recreation and in competition out to 1,000 meters for over 50 years with Palma match, Service rifles and long range scoped up rigs .
I quit shooting at animals further than 300 meters many years ago, basically for me and my choice of hunting rifles ,the time of flight is simply too long for me to deal with an animal making a step after the shot breaks and turning a kill shot into a wounding shot with the chance of a lost animal .
I keep shots on animals as close as possible , but do not begrudge those that advocate long range shots on animals .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09/08/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for those for whom a 500 yd shot is easy, do you do this from a field position, or do you set up a shooting position and wait for the shot? in the eastern woods i have hunted deer in, long shots only happen when you are shooting over a farm field.

there are many more deer now than the 50s and 60s. still, hunters have gotten better technically but have problems hitting from a field position. at the shooting ranges i have access to, few shoot offhand or sitting except the silhouette shooters and military match shooters. add that for those who shoot from tree stands...here in fla, most of these are in pines and those suckers move.

for whitetails it's rare to see a 100 yd shot in the woods. from travels and the exploits of the gun writers and folks on the web, hunting out west is a very different thing from what you get east of the mississippi.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.