Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Thank you, kaywoodie! I am a Celt and we don't like Saxons. We killed them as many as we could.

Thank you SK!

Damn right we do Conrad!!! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Why does everyone think that all white people in the USA are descended from Angles and Saxons?

Answer me that!

Where do Albanian/Sicilians fit in that Angles and Saxons deal?

Oh, wait, that's right. Those WASPS didn't want us around, or my Celtic Irish ancestors either.

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/08/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“You say the Indians honored and respected the Buffalo. How’d they do that? They killed them and ate them!!”

Ted Nugent

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Why does everyone think that all white people in the USA are descended from Angles and Saxons?

Answer me that!

Where do Albanian/Sicilians fit in that Angles and Saxons deal?

I rest my case

Now, back to the buffalo jump

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/08/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gypos and goombas.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Need a link/source for the OP.

https://www.thewildlifenews.com/2021/06/01/indian-culpability-in-bison-demise/

Looks like the same article

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Texas tick fever (bovine babesiosis) had a lot to do with the demise of bison. Records of market-killed bison numbers do not account for even conservative reproduction rates in the herds.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One need only look at a few native communities to get an idea how well they would manage our lands and natural resources.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
BIrdwatcher, I’d heard that the buffalo carried brucellosis and they were killed off so as not to infect the cattle.

You mean the cattle had it, spread into bison, then back to the cattle, bad bison. (Note, no question mark used). LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hatari
“You say the Indians honored and respected the Buffalo. How’d they do that? They killed them and ate them!!”

Ten Nugent

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One thing to think about is that for Indians back in those days fat was hard to come by as wild animals are very lean and eating just lean meat can lead to protein poisoning or "rabbit starvation". The people who killed bison for their tongues were probably after the fat in them....their bodies were probably craving it. Also the organs were probably prized for the same reason. Sugar and carbs had to be a mostly seasonal thing and what fruit and berries they had were not sweet like our hybridized versions. Fat is the other concentrated source of energy to run a human body and brain.

I think I remember accounts of Lewis and Clark's men struggling to do hard labor on a diet of deer and elk and were glad to get beaver, other rodents, and dogs from the Indians because of the fat.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 1minute

Given economic opportunity, I don't think there is a noble race on our planet.

Lol.....well said.

Absolutely. Humans are just another biological species on this planet. Like any species the human populations have always expanded to the limits their resources could bear.

Thus humans have always "lived in harmony with nature" just like any other apex predator and omnivore. They breed until they experience a cataclysmic population reduction, then they breed again.

The Native American population is estimated to have been around 60,000,000 in 1492 when European pathogens began racing across this hemisphere. It is estimated that number was reduced to 6,000,000 by year 1500. That number is estimated to be further reduced to 600,000 by year 1800.

So yes, the bison was at the height of a population explosion by 1800, as the population of their sole serious predator had been decimated. Much like cottontails or jackrabbits if something eliminates all the foxes, coyotes, and raptors in their environment.

If one wishes to discuss the elimination of the bison herds during the 19'th century, it is well to remember there were not enough Native Americans left on the plains to make any kind of dent in their population.

It is also well to remember that the US Army put a bounty on bison. $1/tongue when $1 was a good day's wages. You did not even have to skin them. Just cut out the tongue and pack it in a barrel with salt.

The skinners were scavengers after the fact during that time. The power distribution belts used in most factories, similar to the familiar tractor to threshing machine belts, were most commonly made from bison leather when it was commonly available.

Somewhere Union Pacific has published a chart of the hundreds of thousands of tons of bison bones transported from the prairies per year. I have seen it in the past, but can not locate it at this time.

All this to say: No the Native American was no noble steward of his environment. He was just a human animal like every other race on the planet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJY66
One thing to think about is that for Indians back in those days fat was hard to come by as wild animals are very lean and eating just lean meat can lead to protein poisoning or "rabbit starvation". The people who killed bison for their tongues were probably after the fat in them....their bodies were probably craving it. Also the organs were probably prized for the same reason. Sugar and carbs had to be a mostly seasonal thing and what fruit and berries they had were not sweet like our hybridized versions. Fat is the other concentrated source of energy to run a human body and brain.

I think I remember accounts of Lewis and Clark's men struggling to do hard labor on a diet of deer and elk and were glad to get beaver, other rodents, and dogs from the Indians because of the fat.

Fall bear.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
BIrdwatcher, I’d heard that the buffalo carried brucellosis and they were killed off so as not to infect the cattle.

Ya, a quick Google stated that brucellosis weren’t ID’d here until 1910, and first found in Yellowstone buffalo and elk in 1917.

But there’s a whole panoply of communicable cattle diseases. I’m pretty sure accounts of mass die-offs of buffalo to disease have been referenced here on the ‘Fire.

I’ve read accounts of livestock along the Santa Fe Trial transmitting diseases to buffalo. It weren’t just buffalo, very few, if any present day dogs in the Lower 48 carry traces of original Indian dogs. The feral Carolina Yellow Dogs of the Southeast turned out to be of Euro dog ancestry. We have photos of the Tahltan Bear Dog of the Pacific NW but the last known examples died from distemper.

Applied to people too of course, the ‘49ers brung cholera with them across the Plains of their way West, wiped out an estimated 10,000 Comanches in the winter of 49/50. Half the tribe as it was at that time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at any reservation today and you will see this is true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Tired of the entire "my ancestors" and "harmony" platitudes. Everyone's ancestors lived 'at peace with the land' at some point in time. Some tribes just happened to develop industry and others chose to remain in the stone age. The truth is every organism has a single goal-to survive, and every organism will attempt to destroy anything that impedes that goal. Nothing lives harmoniously with anything else, given the opportunity, any living thing would eradicate everything it does not need to survive with not a care as to the competition's demise. Humans are the only species of any kind that has any consideration for any other specie. Native Americans were as bloodthirsty and destructive as any other ethnicity, they just weren't very good at it. When they acquired the tools of destruction, they rapidly moved in that direction, just as every other tribe throughout history.

If we ever do get visited by extra terrestrials/aliens we had better kill them on sight.
Remember "To Serve Man"?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just cut out the tongue, left the rest as carrion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyway, you white fuggers keep telling yourselves anything you need in order to assuage your guilt.

Crawl back into your igloo and plan a whale hunt!😉😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyway, you white fuggers keep telling yourselves anything you need in order to assuage your guilt.

Crawl back into your igloo and plan a whale hunt!😉😁

So true. We freed them from the frozen north and get no respect.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In IIRC 1745, the Cherokees, and just the Cherokees, brung in 145,000 deer hides to British traders in Savannah.

Go to the old Fort Pitt Museum in Pittsburg PA, where they documented 298,000 bucks (deer hides) brung in by the Indians in 1763. Deer hides was big business, taken in part by mass deer drives at night.

Maybe not so much fur by then, the depletion of furbearers for trade had already sparked the Five Nations of Iroquois to drive out other tribes from the Great Lakes and Upper Ohio Country a whole Century earlier.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (35, 7887mm08, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 4 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.