Print Thread
Hop To
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My son entered us in a GMU for squirrel here in Texas and we were successful. I have never had CCI Stingers shoot worth a crap but gave them a go today in my GM barreled 10-22. At sixty yards the first group of five was similar but four inches high. A twist of the Weaver landed this. Fifteen rounds and I was done. Though this rifle shoots tighter with other ammo the Stingers will be used.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That’s a good group for stingers Ed.. never had much luck with them myself but then again I don’t have much call to use them either..
What’s a GMU?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That GM barrel shoots good. I've seen some shoot like that and others not so much. Your squirrel hunt should be a lot of fun. Great rifle choice and those stingers will work well. However, just about any good shooting hp ammo would do the trick. Even the el-cheapo American eagles and Federals.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Green Mountain puts out a good product. I have several.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With .22s, you just never know.

I carry them in my M63, but haven’t had great accuracy with them lately in my other rifles. They’re verbotten in my 10/22 CSC.

Used to shoot them in my 581. The originals did pretty well, with some flyers. They were deadly on the couple of chucks I shot with them, a headshot and a chest shot; DRT. They can turn a starling into a bag of feathers, or a cloud.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love my gm barrel, always the 10/22 I pickup first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait a minute….

You have to draw to hunt squirrels!?! WTF!

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Wait a minute….

You have to draw to hunt squirrels!?! WTF!

No, we chose to in this case.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by EdM
My son entered us in a GMU for squirrel here in Texas and we were successful. I have never had CCI Stingers shoot worth a crap but gave them a go today in my GM barreled 10-22. At sixty yards the first group of five was similar but four inches high. A twist of the Weaver landed this. Fifteen rounds and I was done. Though this rifle shoots tighter with other ammo the Stingers will be used.

That looks similar to a 10/22 I built up about 20 years ago, It has a 24" Midway marked barrel, which I learned was a GM barrel, a Fajen sporter stock with ebony foreend tip, shadow outline cheekpiece, steel Nieder type buttplate, and inlaid sling swivel attachments, A Kidd single stage trigger in a Tactical Innovations cnc milled trigger housing and an extended mag release. It's honestly been a long time since I have shot it, preferring the slower action of my bolt actions or a lever action. My little ten year old grandson prefers to shoot one of the bolt actions, a Win 52b reproduction with a single shot sled to the semi auto, saves on a lot of ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love the looks of the op's rifle. I had one set up the same way, but kept the factory barrel because it shot so well. A buddy has that rifle now and he will never part with it. Its probably the best shooting factory 10-22 we've seen. They are not all like that from the factory. The deluxe walnut stock is probably my favorite when it comes to 10-22's. They look great, they handle great and you don't have that barrel clamp on there to deal with. I went out and shot my 10-22 a little yesterday, just because of this thread. Thanks for sharing Ed..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The DSP stock IMHO is way better overall than the standard.

But there is one stock even better than the DSP.....the original SP.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
The DSP stock IMHO is way better overall than the standard.

But there is one stock even better than the DSP.....the original SP.

Is that the one with the finger grooves? Those are nice too.. I hate the carbine stocks, they are way too short for me, but the deluxe stock works great.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.