Print Thread
Hop To
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Going to RSA June next year.Can go United Newark,NJ to JHB or Delta Atlanta to JHB.Have gone through Atlanta before,no big problem.Any red flags with United Newark for the trip? Will be bringing two rifles along .
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I recently flew Newark to Joberg although I didn't travel with firearms. Pretty painless other than long lines to clear customs. I did see several with firearms and it seemed that they were not having much trouble, if any.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m taking that United flight next week. Had always done Delta from Atlanta, but when it came time to buy our tickets, Travel With Guns told us Delta was scheduling the flights but frequently canceling them. That was unnerving. Then United started the flights from Newark so we’re giving that a go.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd much rather go through Newark than Atlanta.

H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
We just bought our tickets,our local podunk travel agent came through with best deal. United,Newark,Johannesburg was also best price,saved almost $1600 over our 2016 trip that went through Atlanta.
Saved enough to add an eland!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes, the United price was considerably less than what we had been looking at with Delta — to the extent that it made it more comfortable to book business class.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That United flight from Newark seems to have received high marks from American hunters going to and from JNB this year. Especially with the issues Delta has had in 2021 with cancelling/rescheduling flights, United may become the "go to" option for Americans moving forward.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While the United flight I think is better than the Delta cleaner plane friendlier staff etc.
It’s the coming back that’s the problem. There system in Newark on arrival is they get all the gun cases together off the flight once they are all gathered then they start the process of customs checking them. Now once they are all checked which they make you stay there and wait till everyone is done they then take you in a group downstairs. Now the airlines checks the cases one by one. Now you must go thru TSA again which is along wait and try to catch your plane.
My group and the other 2 I sent on United all missed there connecting flight onto DFW we had a 2 hr layover and could not make it.
I know I rambled on but it’s the dumbest system of the double check if they would do it all at once and not hold everyone there wouldn’t be a problem.
The lady said that took the group downstairs for second check that it is stupid system and hopefully will get fixed.
If your not taking guns, have along layover, or simply not many guns on the flight you will be fine.
That being said I just rebooked with United for May 2022 and hope the system is better.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I returned from Zambia via the Delta 201 flight from Joberg to Atlanta yesterday. The customs agent who checked my firearms was an FFL holder and big game hunter. We had a friendly conversation about the guns, the hunt and exchanged business cards. It was painless, fast and easy.

This was the second time I've used the Delta 200/201 flights for travel and have been happy both times. Additionally the flight was maybe 1/3 full. Nearly all passengers traveling solo had an entire row of seats to themselves, couples all sitting with a seat between them.

YMMV.

Jim

Last edited by MoTurkeyHunter; 09/13/21.

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.