Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.yahoo.com/news/squaw-valley-1960-winter-olympic-225952072.html

Mon, September 13, 2021, 5:59 PM

SAN FRANCISCO — A popular California ski resort whose name included a derogatory term for Native American women changed its name to Palisades Tahoe on Monday. Resort officials had begun searching for a new name last year amid a reckoning over racial injustice.

The renaming of Squaw Valley Ski Resort is one of many efforts nationally to address a history of colonialism and oppression against Native Americans and other people of color that includes removing statues of Christopher Columbus.

The word “squaw,” derived from the Algonquin language, may have once simply meant “woman,” but over generations, the word morphed into a misogynist and racist term to disparage Indigenous women, according to experts.

“It was the right thing to do and I think it’s going to make a difference. I think we’re going to be seen as a more welcoming, inclusive resort and community,” said Palisades Tahoe President and COO Dee Byrne.

Byrne said that after studying the issue for the past year the resort’s research concluded the word is very offensive “not just to Indigenous women but to all women.”

The resort is in Olympic Valley, which was known as Squaw Valley until it hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics. Tribes in the region had been asking the resort for a name change for decades.

The valley, in the Lake Tahoe area about 200 miles northeast of San Francisco, is within the ancestral homeland of the Washoe people, Darrel Cruz of the Washoe Tribe Historic Preservation Office said in a statement. He said the word is a “constant reminder of those time periods when it was not good for us. It’s a term that was inflicted upon us by somebody else and we don’t agree with it.”

Washoe Tribal Chairman Serrell Smokey said the tribal council expressed “its great appreciation for this positive step forward.”

“There’s been a lot of progress but there’s still a lot of work to be done,” he added. “We need to continue to capitalize on that progress and continue to push forward.”

Smokey said the tribe plans to work with the resort as well as Placer County officials to rename other public places and features in the Olympic Valley that continue to use the derogatory word.

Company officials said the resort’s new logo honors the two legendary mountains that are part of it. And in a nod to the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California, it features an eagle, a symbol of the spiritual world for Native Americans.

Beyond changing its name, the company said it is partnering with the Washoe Tribe to educate resort guests about tribal culture. This summer, the resort launched the Washoe Cultural Tour series, offering a monthly talk by Cruz. The resort will also install an exhibit on the Washoe way of life.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
What a total crock!

Are they going to rename Crazy Woman's Creek?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
What a total crock!

Are they going to rename Crazy Woman's Creek?

Yes - Michelle Obama Triumphant Woman of Color Creek

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't Michelle Obama the man that birthed two daughters?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc
Isn't Michelle Obama the man that birthed two daughters?

She/he was ahead of her time, she/he will be recognized as a Transgender Warrior in future times.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can burn in the next wildfire.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
There’s a mountain around here that used to be known as Squaw Peak. Now it’s Piestewa Peak. It’s just a name change. Same pile of dirt and rocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The name never cost them a dime in revenue, the new name is very likely too as many patrons will not welcome the change.

But, naturally, they'll lie about it & pretend that it's a positive change.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Next up: Arrowhead Stadium Florida Seminoles, New England Patriots, Tennessee Volunteers, and the UMass Minutemen.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I still refer to them as “old squaws”… be a cold day in hell when you hear me talk about “long-tailed ducks”

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And who's better off now?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

The conscience of the injuns and the ever-restless Marxists who pretend to be their champions for Justice and The American Way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Me gotta a bunch of old squaw valley memorabilia to sell now.. 🤪

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Seriously, what do you have??

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Being in CA, this ski resort didn't have a choice in not renaming their mountain. I'm not defending them though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Seriously, what do you have??

Tepco restaurant ware with the litte indian girls sking, clothing and ephemera booklets, brochues etc from the 1960's.

Packed away for a few decades waiting for this to happen. Marxists been trying to get that name changed since the 1980's.

Buddy use to own old ski lift chairs that were in use during the 1960 Winter Olympics. In some corporate office now if SF I believe.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Check your PM cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crazy, name change. Really.

Might as well change the name of "BloodyDick Montana.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And just like that, the world became a better place. (Note need for sarcasm icon.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, we had property in Central Oregon on a rimrock overlooking Squaw Creek... the local do-gooders decided it hurt some obscure native americans' feelers so they renamed it Whychus Creek and I have no idea what that means.... funny thing is the subdivision where our property was had been platted as Squaw Creek Canyon Estates and that isn't quite so easy to change on all those documents that have passed hands so the name remains on a big entry sign going into the subdivision....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.