Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 63 1 2 59 60 61 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Fantastic, sandbilly. I don't have a single one that good. Damn. What state are you in?

That is a spear point. Could that have been made 14,000 years ago? Could a stone age hunter have shoved that into the ribs of a wooly mammoth? Damn.

Texas. I don’t know much about them I just knew it was a good one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
To me, a lot of the modern made points look too good. They often seem too big. Natives were mass producing tools. Flintknappers are making art.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn’t there but I highly doubt it. Like I said, I don’t know much about them. First time I’ve heard the word flintknapper.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I wasn’t there but I highly doubt it. Like I said, I don’t know much about them. First time I’ve heard the word flintknapper.

Sand, I was responding to GeoW and am not doubting your friends find at all. It looks pretty good to me, albeit very clean.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know, all good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sandbilly,
It looks like an Ensor to me. Lots of info out there on them. Very nice material. They are an archaic point. Good find!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jlboykin
Sandbilly,
It looks like an Ensor to me. Lots of info out there on them. Very nice material. They are an archaic point. Good find!

After a quick search I guess that may be right looking at the area they are found in. Llano county

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The archaic era goes back to 8,000 BC. This was after the ice age so that point didn't kill a wooly mammoth. But it might have killed a buffalo. I want to get in my time machine and watch that Indian make that point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably a big knife

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by GeoW
Would that be called a Dovetail?

St Charles ish looking dovetail around here.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Buddy found this one yesterday while dove hunting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

👍👍👍👍👍

Looks beveled also.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
With so many flint knappers chipping out arrowheads now how would one authenticate a find... to another in doubt? No, not talking about SandBilly friend's find but in general.

you have to send them off and get them papered. Perino was the big authenticator, atleast 20 years ago he was. My father and a really good friend of his got into some expensive stuff. As a teenager I'd go with them to artifact shows throughout the southeast. Good times.

Living in Macon by the ocmulgee river, my father got access to farm land next to it, spend many a days looking for arrowheads.

The really fancy stuff you just arent going to find without drilling or digging...which is a no no.

I was really into the florida coral points and had a nice frame of them at one point. But sadly, dad gave them away without running it by me.

He was really into river points, and we had divers come up and find some in the ocmulgee. I remember one guy found a really nice Simpson just north of Macon in the river.

One of the worst things you can do is have a fake in your collection. It makes the entire collections questionable.

Last edited by killerv; 09/14/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never authenticated any of mine. But I don’t sell anything either.

I can almost visually remember where every point came from when I picked it up. And I have thousands of them

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I showed this blade to a “collector” and he wanted to know if I had Papers on it. LOL

no I don’t, I seen it sticking out of road cut while doing about 20 mph. No telling how people driven passed it that day on the way to the boat ramp. People are aloof, plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
I showed this blade to a “collector” and he wanted to know if I had Papers on it. LOL

no I don’t, I seen it sticking out of road cut while doing about 20 mph. No telling how people driven passed it that day on the way to the boat ramp. People are aloof, plain and simple.

A real "collector" who knows his stuff doesn't need to ask if you have papers. grin

Someone who knows their stuff can pretty much tell at a glance.

Yours looks GTG. Very nice knife!

Sandbilly's buddy is FOS though. That's a modern made point. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, when I find a point, blade, or scraper in a remote creek or plowed field I never wonder if it’s “real”. I can understand if you were acquiring your collection at shows or swap meets.

Pretty good creek walk a couple weeks ago. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
killerv: You were looking along the Ocmulgee River in central Georgia. I used to look near the Oconee River in Milledgeville. There were big corn fields next to the river, just wait for them to plow them in April, and then wait for it to rain, and the fields were just covered with broken pieces of pottery and flint flakes. It was easy to imagine big Indian villages in those fields south of Milledgeville. I picked up some nice points there as well as a nearly intact axe head.

My buddies were looking right in the Oconee River, on a sand bar right in Milledgeville, and they found a clay pipe. It was a figure of a duck and was about 4 inches long. They told me it was just beautiful, museum quality. But before I got a chance to see it, one night they were smoking pot with it and dropped it on the kitchen floor and it shattered into 300 pieces.

At that same spot in Milledgeville, right where the highway crosses the river, one day I was going by there and I saw an RV parked there, and some guys with scuba gear. I went down to investigate. These guys were getting cannon balls. They had studied up, that the state Armory was in Milledgeville in 1864, and when Sherman took over the town, they loaded up 800 cannon balls into a wagon, and took it to the bridge over the river, and threw all the cannon balls into the river.
These cannon balls were about 3 inch diameter and 7 inches long.
These guys had a big inner tube with a mesh floor and a big suction hose, they vaccuumed up all the mud on the bottom of the river, the water about 9 feet deep there, and the cannon balls would land on the mesh floor of the inner tube. These guys had about 300 of these cannon balls and they said they planned to get all 800 of them. They said that one cannon ball was worth $350.

Also they had a beautiful Bowie knife, and a beautiful flint spear point about 7 inches long that they had vaccuumed up from the river bottom.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yeah, when I find a point, blade, or scraper in a remote creek or plowed field I never wonder if it’s “real”. I can understand if you were acquiring your collection at shows or swap meets.

I’d say that was a pretty good day 👍

Finding half that many would be exceptional for myself or ‘50. Would like to hit some muddy or sandy creeks, the gravel and larger rock media in our creeks are difficult to pick anything out. Iron ore industry of the 1800s introduced massive amounts of slag and process rock to the streams here

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by TheKid

I’d say that was a pretty good day 👍

VERY nice point in upper right.

I've found a ton of Harrell's and Toyah's, but not many points with an un-notched base like that one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by killerv
With so many flint knappers chipping out arrowheads now how would one authenticate a find... to another in doubt? No, not talking about SandBilly friend's find but in general.

you have to send them off and get them papered. Perino was the big authenticator, atleast 20 years ago he was. My father and a really good friend of his got into some expensive stuff. As a teenager I'd go with them to artifact shows throughout the southeast. Good times.

Living in Macon by the ocmulgee river, my father got access to farm land next to it, spend many a days looking for arrowheads.

The really fancy stuff you just arent going to find without drilling or digging...which is a no no.

Souvenir ones sold
Versus
Real ones found

The patina consistency of souvenir ones and perfect flaking pattern versus the inconsistencies in patina over time and flaking of real ones.

Sometimes in collections for sale whereever like at the triangle flea market here in town or at a gunshow.
You will run across ones some poser has worked with a dremel to
" fix".
SMH....

I have seen that crap....
And when ya point schit out like that.
Mr Poser who was mr SME 10 seconds ago goes into deflection let me look at that mode with a "I dont see it" excuse and a bogus "well I,ll be" or the standard "I bought them off blah blah blah" .
Hoping you leave so no one else hears the conversation.

I have sold shadow box collections of points.
Most of your buyers are old guys who cant get out and hunt them anymore.

Stone to steel type of stuff.

I got 2 killa spear points on Cookie and Rico,s headstones
1st killa spear point I find next is going on Blackjack,s headstone.

0 in my collection right now.
Khan/ wife called me up back in june to come entertain the daycare kids outta the blue at Ft Defiance a civil war place here in Town.
They was getting rained out.

It turned into show and tell arrowhead candyman handing em out.
Kids were going bonkers about em.
Nothing really special.
Brokes and grade 5 and 6 stuff.
But to them kids they were something they never seen or felt before.

Got brownie points with Khan/wife that day for being a on call "Rockstar" so to speak giving out arrowheads.

Sent some better grade 6 and 7 stuff up to Goalie cause he sent me some glock holsters earlier this summer.

It's all good...

Should be a good year for me and slumlord this winter and spring based on plowing cycle and crop rotation between the 2 majors area,s we hunt.

Last edited by renegade50; 09/14/21.
Page 61 of 63 1 2 59 60 61 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.