Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Former sister in law was the gutshot queen. Don't think she ever shot a deer that was not gut shot. Always gutted asap and rinsed meat was fine. Don't think I would of ate the inside tenderloins if they were offered though.

She made a real mess of several deer. Used a Ruger 44 carbine. Brother told her to shoot until it went down or ran away. Well they never ran away and it took awhile for them to go down. Don't think she ever hit a deer in the ribs or forward either the guts or the hindquarters usually both. Last one she shot we found after dark. Smelled it before we saw it. Apparently a mountain lion did as well. Nice to hear a mountain lion scream so close you can't tell which direction it came from. In the dark with no gun. Thank god she is former sister inlaw.

That takes me back to Jr. high school. My dad and I were hunting with my dad's friend and his son, about my age. We were driving in a Jeep with us boys riding on the fenders. We found a doe by the road at all of 20 yds and stopped. It was on my side and I lung shot it with a 30-30. It ran a short distance but it was dead on it's feet. Meanwhile, the other kid was using an M1 carbine with a 16 shot mag. He emptied the mag on it. He literally hit it with all 16 (we counted the holes) which wasn't hard as close as we were. He gut shot, neck shot, shoulder shot, and hip shot it. It was a stinking mess. My dad gutted it while he winked at me to keep my mouth shut and congratulated the kid on his 'fine' deer.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Clean it up as quickly as possible and move on.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My one gut shot in recent memory was a crossbow kill that made for a good lesson. I'd set up my tent blind on the edge of a field where deer had been coming out late in the day. As it was getting darker I'd missed seeing a deer coming to the edge of the field about 30 yards away. When I did see it, I shot it behind the near front shoulder thinking that it was a shorter coupled yearling. When I found my arrow it was oh,oh. It had that heavy gut smell and resulted in one of the longest, hardest, nearly non-existent blood trails that I'd ever had to sort out. Instead of being a short coupled yearling, it was a long loin mature doe that had stood more quartering on than I'd thought. I might have caught the back edge of one lung, but for sure liver and gut.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.