T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your timing couldn't be worse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A ram 1500 4x4 tradesman well optioned will run you low 40's around here. Inventory is pretty thin though.

I paid 45k for my 18 Ram 2500 with a 6.7 diesel ... those were the days,

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think you made a good decision.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve an 06 CTD with 84k miles on it. Paid $35k for it back then and have been offered $37k for it. I was thinking of selling it because like all good Dodge trucks, the front suspension turned to chit right on schedule. The problem is to replace it with a similar new truck, It’s a $40k jump! Screw that. I changed the ball joints to HD EMFs, added Dana 60 style spindles with free spin hubs, new front axle U joints, updated t style tie rod and drag link. New steering stabilizer. All in all, I dumped $3k in parts into the front end. It was a PITA but it’s paid for and it should easily go well over 200k before needing any more attention. It’s getting about 1.5 mpg better too. There’s few things I hate more that car payments.

Guy I know at the Ferd dealership just sold their first $100k truck. 15 year note on it! People are nuts! Glad to see you are holding on to the Nissan til cooler heads prevail.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I keep a vehicle until it no longer does what I need it to do.

Same here. I'm still driving the '05 Trailblazer I bought in '06 with 28K on the clock. Has 135K now, but will see 25-30K per year from now on. Runs strong. Maintenance is a wonderful thing.

In the same boat, though. I need a truck pretty soon, one capable of routinely pulling 7000# trailers and must be 4WD. But I'm waiting and can for now.

On a positive note, just sold a 2017 Camaro for more than I paid for it after putting 29K on it in 14 months.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Our fire dept just priced a 4 door f 250 with the big gas motor.

36,000 new.

must be some kind of discount there, that's cheap.

Yep. Sure is.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need a new truck that badly, you may want to consider expanding your search to good condition older trucks as well.

Personally, I don't care for all the electronics and emission controls on newer vehicles anyway. More to go wrong and more expensive to repair than older trucks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/15/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
If you need a new truck that badly, you may want to consider expanding your search to good condition older trucks as well.

Personally, I don't care for all the electronics and emission controls on newer vehicles anyway. More to go wrong and more expensive to repair than older trucks.

I dont like all the electronics and emission controls, either, but that's the way it is today. The nissan still runs, but it's just one thing after another. Didn't want to put more $ into it, but at today's prices, I think I will and wait a while.

I got an old toyota that I'm gonna try to get running. Use it around the farm and stop using the nissan so much.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My next truck will be a '78 F250 Super or Crew. I plan to drop a 521 stroker into it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Be careful on the newer F150 with the 5.0 v8. It was a great motor a few year back but the cheapened it up about 2018. The earlier ones had an aluminum block with steel cylinder sleeve and did well.

About 2018 the went to straight aluminum with some sort of spray on or electrolytic deposited cylinder liner and got rid of the steel sleeves to cheapen it up. Many of the newer ones burn a lot of oil and have other problems. Ford has had to replace some of the new V8s.

It's too bad because it was a good motor with the steel sleeves. I went with the new 3.5 turbo powerboost hybrid. It was supposed to be here a month ago but I'm still waiting.

The Ford tecks told me if you don't need a ton of power they have the best luck with the 2.7L turbo 6. It's 325 horse 400 torque but with a 10 speed it does pretty well and gets good mileage.

Bb

This is one of the best posts here so far as what the OP want's.

Ford took one of the best V8's (Coyote) and ruined it with the new spray on cylinder liners. They did well on bringing out the 7.3 gasser for the Super Duty, Now that is a good engine. But more than the OP want's.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee Randy,

I think you've owned that Datsun as long as I've known you. Seeing you in a different truck, I might know if its you or not...

I recently ended up with a 2011 Tacoma, 4 dr, 4 WD, and a darn short box.... 160,000 on it....

I ended up with it bailing some kid out we've known since he was 6.... he went thru Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts with my son...
]
its got the 4.0 V 6 in it, I've got to do some work on it tho.... it was sitting and not driven for 18 months. it came out of New Hampshire...

Box is too short to be useful for much, except for taking 3 garbage cans to the dump....and I can't sleep in the back of it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah Bb's post is most informative. I have a F-150 2016 with the 5.0 L v-8 so far so good, really like it. Just paid it off with 70 K on it should last me awhile. I took the long view on it though and cut back my everyday use of it and had my 95 tacoma worked over with a new clutch and other things. it still is a fun truck to drive. Oldman03 I didn't really want to stick 2K into a 95 either but I did . The guy who runs the repair place I had it done at told me it would sell inside of 3 days for $6000 if I wanted to move it. It's been the least expensive truck I have owned. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I would expand your search area, that new of truck shouldn't have issues so just be ready to pull the trigger when you find one, there are still some "fair" deals out there but you must act fast.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How many of you really need a truck ? An enclosed trailer would fill the needs of many a truck owner uses.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
take a look at work trucks if you going to buy a new one. we bought a new 2021 silverado 2 months ago. at fleet price. its a double cab 4 door,5.3 engine. has everything i need in a truck. base price with v6 was 35,800. with 5.3,towing package,brake unit,spray-in bed liner,back up camera it was 38,500.

came with steel work truck wheels. i bought new tires and aluminum wheels the week i bought the truck.

dealer had bought 15 of them. they had 10 sold for company trucks and they put the other 5 on the lot. fleet price saves a good chunk of money.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09/15/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
take a look at work trucks if you going to buy a new one. we bought a new 2021 silverado 2 months ago. at fleet price. its a double cab 4 door,5.3 engine. has everything i need in a truck. base price with v6 was 35,800. with 5.3,towing package,brake unit,sprayin bed liner,back up camera it was 38,500.

came with steel work truck wheels. i bought new tires and aluminum wheels the week i bought the truck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I recently bought a new 2020 Tacoma. I didn't get a deal on the truck, but the truck I traded in they gave me much more for than it was worth. It needed an estimated 2500-3500 worth of work and they still gave me over blue book for it. That thing was a lemon and I'm glad to be rid of it, even though I now have a payment.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by srwshooter
take a look at work trucks if you going to buy a new one. we bought a new 2021 silverado 2 months ago. at fleet price. its a double cab 4 door,5.3 engine. has everything i need in a truck. base price with v6 was 35,800. with 5.3,towing package,brake unit,sprayin bed liner,back up camera it was 38,500.

keep your fingers crossed, they are having a ton of engine failures due to lifter issues...and they still havent fixed the rear window leak issue. Had mine replaced a few months back. My 5.3 has started to experience rough idle, and in most cases from what folks are saying, lifters are soon to fail.

Before covid, you could get the custom tailboss for 38k. It basically a plain jane 4x4 silverado without many bells and whistles.

Last edited by killerv; 09/15/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by killerv

keep your fingers crossed, they are having a ton of engine failures due to lifter issues...and they still havent fixed the rear window leak issue. Had mine replaced a few months back. My 5.3 has started to experience rough idle, and in most cases from what folks are saying, lifters are soon to fail.

Before covid, you could get the custom tailboss for 38k. It basically a plain jane 4x4 silverado without many bells and whistles.

My old truck was a silverado, transmission went out at 129,000. It also was having a lifter issue when I got rid of it. All in all, I had to buy two steering racks, upper and lower ball joints x2, front hubs x1, repair AC, repair blower, and damn near every bulb in the truck. Such a lemon! I don't think I'll buy a GM product again soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Originally Posted by killerv

My old truck was a silverado, transmission went out at 129,000. It also was having a lifter issue when I got rid of it. All in all, I had to buy two steering racks, upper and lower ball joints x2, front hubs x1, repair AC, repair blower, and damn near every bulb in the truck. Such a lemon! I don't think I'll buy a GM product again soon.

What year was it? These anecdotes are basically useless without knowing what year we are talking about.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.