Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
My father in law has a tang safety 7 Mag that shoots 3 shots through the same hole at 100 yards with hand loads. He bought it in the early 80’s for elk hunting in Wyoming. They moved to Arizona in the late 80’s and it sat in the safe until several years ago when he let me use it for a hunt. Went to sight it in after it was sitting for about 25 years with ammo loaded that long ago and that’s what it did. One of his hunting buddies accurized it for him.

HR IC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
10glocks, I've seen some of your outlandish claims. Most recent one: you posted a bunch of senseless pictures of a two piece model 70 bolt and claimed it was one piece.

Then disparaged a bunch of gunsmiths and hunters who either repaired, or welded or pinned for assurance, to include Echols.

Your problem is you shoot off at the mouth over trivial sht and you use guns for nothing. If you hunted as much as you shoot off at the mouth, you'd have some real experience.

All of your gun pics, nary a scratch. In the end, you're just another typical middle to late aged, gun glutt collector.

Hypothetically thinking out loud, that is your forte.......carry on.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/14/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You come into this thread and immediately call me a liar without even trying to discuss the issue in a civilized manner like a man. Then I post a video of the rifle doing exactly what I said it does and then you decide to justify yourself with more disparaging comments. You decide dropping an F bomb gives you more credibility. I don't care what your experience is, "mainer in ak," you're unimpressive. If you can't conduct yourself in a respectable manner and have a civilized discussion, you're worthless. You apparently can't admit that you were wrong and throw a tantrum to distract from the fact that I proved what you said I was "full of [bleep]" over. That makes you a gutless turd in my book. A presumptuous gutless turd, at that. Have a good day.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/14/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Methinks mainer is onto something....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Was at Brownells today. The prices were astonishing, however, they had new 77s, SS compacts in 223, 243, (awesome kid gun, or adult gun) walnut and blue in 7rm, 7-08, 270, Hawkeye Pred in 223 and another. All looked excellently put together.

RARs should be $350 max. Junk that is accurate. Like dating a chunky redhead that's a good lay, hard to love. LOL

You are being generous. I have the 22 rifle and it shot 6" groups at 50 yards. I sent it back and now it is a tack driver after adding a Timney. Still built like a POS

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Boomer, he shts on Ruger products any chance he gets.

Some folks get caught up on the investment casting, it has worked very well for Ruger for a very long time.

My first mk ll was $500 new, my second mk ll was $450 on sale.

Nowadays, my two used Hawkeyes were right at a grand a piece. I agree that prices for hunting rifles is a bit high.

Oh, I don't mind the discussion at all. I'm not a diehard 77 fan, however, I consider it a fairly robust hunting rifle.

Prices are ridiculous and I can't imagine that'll change.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Was at Brownells today. The prices were astonishing, however, they had new 77s, SS compacts in 223, 243, (awesome kid gun, or adult gun) walnut and blue in 7rm, 7-08, 270, Hawkeye Pred in 223 and another. All looked excellently put together.

RARs should be $350 max. Junk that is accurate. Like dating a chunky redhead that's a good lay, hard to love. LOL

You are being generous. I have the 22 rifle and it shot 6" groups at 50 yards. I sent it back and now it is a tack driver after adding a Timney. Still built like a POS

Yah, that'd piss me off! I have yet to fire my RAR 22.

I've had a few RAR centerfires. Easy accuracy yet purely fuggly. I can't really say that I like anything about them. Fit, finish, styling, nada.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I have one of the American Ranches in 300BO (actually the only Ruger I currently own) and I'd have to agree. It's pretty accurate and rugged, but also dang homely. I really wish it had iron sights. I'm thinking of getting a front ramp put on mine and mounting a peep on the scope base.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The price on Ruger M77’s and Hawkeyes is going up. It’s crazy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
I have one of the American Ranches in 300BO (actually the only Ruger I currently own) and I'd have to agree. It's pretty accurate and rugged, but also dang homely. I really wish it had iron sights. I'm thinking of getting a front ramp put on mine and mounting a peep on the scope base.

I have a project like that in mind, albeit on a different action and chambering. Compact peepsighted goodness, suppressed for yard deer. LOL .

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The older I get, the more I try to get away from scopes. I only have a couple of rifles with them now, the rest are all peeps or straight irons, but my eyes aren't that great with notch and blades anymore, so I'm working on getting peeps on all of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zcm82
I've owned a handful. Being a lefty shooting righty guns, I strongly prefer the tang safety for ergonomics, but I can still run the bolt safety on the Mk2 with my hand on the stock. I've never owned any of the newer Hawkeye era rifles. All of the old tangers shot very well except a little compact in 250 Savage, which was disappointing because it was the one I wanted to like most.

The Mk2s were hit and miss on accuracy for me. One in 243 was one of the better shooters I've owned, but another in 257 Roberts was just a hopeless bullet slinger.

As a whole, I'd really just call it personal preference between the designs, though.

I'm a lefty who runs a righty Hawkeye. I don't have trouble with the safety either. I owned several Mk II's in the past and I much prefer the contours of the Hawkeye

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Boomer, he shts on Ruger products any chance he gets.

Some folks get caught up on the investment casting, it has worked very well for Ruger for a very long time.

My first mk ll was $500 new, my second mk ll was $450 on sale.

Nowadays, my two used Hawkeyes were right at a grand a piece. I agree that prices for hunting rifles is a bit high.

Nothing I said isn't true. I've no problems with rugers. I shot my first deer with one, which I still own. However, you can't claim they are anything but a cheaply made clunky gun. At $500 they aren't bad. Anything over that is ridiculous.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/14/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I like the M77/Hawkeye, too. I only have two right now. A M77 MkII Express .270 and a Hawkeye African 6.5x55 Swedish. I've owned several in the past, most recently a Gunsite Scout in ,308, and a M77 MkII stainless .30-06 in a boat paddle stock. The only issue I ever had was that the trigger on the Gunsite was way too light. Under 2 lbs. It was virtually a hair trigger. Never felt comfortable with that, but never did anything about it. Ended up selling it. I gave the M77 MkII stainless to my son in California.

The only other issue (a non-issue really) is that none of the CRF features worked as well as they do on my M70s. On my M70s, once the cartridge clears the magazine, it literally pops up behind the extractor. Not so on any M77 I've ever had. Once the catridge on those clears the magazine, they get forced up behind the extractors as they get pushed into the chamber. Otherwise, they don't pop up behind the extractor.

Round control is very spotty on rugers and model 70's. About the only fool proof factory CRF action is a mauser 98 in its original chambering. Mauser mag box and feed lips were designed for each specific cartridge vs the generic mag boxes and feed lip setups on Rugers and Winchesters.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been happy with my Hawkeyes. They shoot well and are are very rugged. The action might not come from the factory quite as smooth as some other rifles, but they wear in pretty quickly with use. I think they are a good choice for a reliable no nonsense hunting rifle. I put a lighter trigger spring in my .308, but otherwise they are stock. I've never had any problems with them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine is just the same, wife surprised me one Christmas and a good local gunsmith did a trigger job, bedded the action, put a custom muzzle brake (could have done without that) but the accuracy went from good to great in that 7mm RM with maximum hand loads. Four times sighting in before season 3 shots you could cover with a dime & every year for over 40 now a 1/2 dollar would cover them. Killed truckloads of deer & elk & a nice boar at 500+ yards with a 10 mph crosswind showing some younger alpha type hunters that old guys & old rifles shoot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first bolt rifle was a tanger in 30-06. I guess I got lucky as it shot and still shoots very good. Never had issue one with it. I would say its my base
Line by which all my other rifles have been judged on. I bought it back around 1987 for $100 from my brother who came into it on a car trade deal. He needed the money for a date. It came with a tasco scope that was dang near junk. I replaced the scope several times ending up with a vx3 3.5-10x40. These days I have two other rifles I use and favor over the tanger but used it for two decades. About the best $100 I ever spent on a piece of gear.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a Ruger guy. Sold all the old M77 and MK II Rugers, prefer the Hawkeye. Hawkeye in 308, and 257 Roberts.

Original Tanger. 1968. Note the vertical split rings and flat bolt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 308ld; 09/15/21.

Ed
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Why did Ruger produce both intergral scope bases on their receivers and flat top receivers that took aftermarket bases?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
mid/late 70s, possibly into the 80s. Not a 77 afficianado so not sure on exact years.

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 257Bob, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.