Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Why did Ruger produce both intergral scope bases on their receivers and flat top receivers that took aftermarket bases?

I don't have the answer, but I do know the ST, with sights, PL, without sights, "round top" models did/do take the same mounts as used for the Remington 700.

Last edited by 308ld; 09/15/21.

Ed
HR IC

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone here bought a aftermarket fiberglass stock for the m77?

Was looking at the H&S Precision stock (PSS152). Was looking for feedback or reccomendations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker

Round control is very spotty on rugers and model 70's. About the only fool proof factory CRF action is a mauser 98 in its original chambering. Mauser mag box and feed lips were designed for each specific cartridge vs the generic mag boxes and feed lip setups on Rugers and Winchesters.

I agree generally with this, though the M70s seem to be more consistent than the M77s. In fact, some M77 MkIIs aren't controlled round feed at all. They are push feed with the fixed ejector. Sort of an intermediate design between the M77 push feed, plunger ejector and M77 MkII with CRF and fixed ejector.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why did Ruger produce both intergral scope bases on their receivers and flat top receivers that took aftermarket bases?

To give people a choice.What a concept!

Didn’t last very long, so either they miscalculated the demand, or dealers ordered the ones with dovetails. Based on naysaying here, I think many would welcome a return to that option.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned quite a few Ruger 77s, tang safety style, MK2 style, and Hawkeyes.

At one time I had two tang safety 77 RSIs in 243 that I bought in 1999 and 2001 and were six serial numbers apart. One was a very good shooter and the other was a 6 MOA shooter on a good day. I rebarreled the 6 MOA shooter and moved on, but if that had been my only experience with Ruger 77s I would have been very disappointed and probably wouldn't have bought another one.

Among my current inventory of Rugers are a trio of stainless Hawkeye that have been bedded in McM Hunter style stocks. These rifles are chambered in 223, 6.5 CM, and 338 FED.. The 223 and 6.5 CM are excellent shooters and the 338 FED is a good, but not excellent, shooter. If I was forced to keep only a few rifles, I would be hard pressed not to keep these three as they would be adequate for anything that I'm likely to hunt for in the contiguous 48 States..

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Was looking at the H&S Precision stock (PSS152). Was looking for feedback or reccomendations.

Aftermarket synthetic, yes.

HS Precision, no, just McMs.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Round control is very spotty on rugers and model 70's. About the only fool proof factory CRF action is a mauser 98 in its original chambering. Mauser mag box and feed lips were designed for each specific cartridge vs the generic mag boxes and feed lip setups on Rugers and Winchesters.

I agree generally with this, though the M70s seem to be more consistent than the M77s. In fact, some M77 MkIIs aren't controlled round feed at all. They are push feed with the fixed ejector. Sort of an intermediate design between the M77 push feed, plunger ejector and M77 MkII with CRF and fixed ejector.

I don’t think the original tang safety is controlled round feed at all. On my 308 flat bolt it pushes a cartridge into the chamber and then the extractor clips over the rim when the bolt is fully closed. I think the 1st MK II rifles were the same before switching to full CRF.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So the newer Hawkeyes are CRF?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Futura

I don’t think the original tang safety is controlled round feed at all. On my 308 flat bolt it pushes a cartridge into the chamber and then the extractor clips over the rim when the bolt is fully closed. I think the 1st MK II rifles were the same before switching to full CRF.

AFAIK, that's correct. I understand the original M77s were push feed with a plunger ejector. The M77 MkII went to a fixed blade ejector, but was still push feed. Later MkIIs were CRF with fixed blade ejectors. All Hawkeyes to my knowledge are CRF.

This is what the first MkII push-feed (fixed blade ejectors) bolt faces looked like. Later MkIIs were opened up at the bottom to permit CRF. In fact, I've read that you can have the bottom lip milled offer and create a CRF feed out of a push feed, but not if it has a plunger ejector.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by Futura

AFAIK, that's correct. I understand the original M77s were push feed with a plunger ejector. The M77 MkII went to a fixed blade ejector, but was still push feed. Later MkIIs were CRF with fixed blade ejectors. All Hawkeyes to my knowledge are CRF.

This is what the first MkII push-feed (fixed blade ejectors) bolt faces looked like. Later MkIIs were opened up at the bottom to permit CRF. In fact, I've read that you can have the bottom lip milled offer and create a CRF feed out of a push feed, but not if it has a plunger ejector.

I have one of those push feed MKIIs. I have probably looked at a 100 MKIIs and the one I own is the only one I have ever seen in person so I would guess the vast majority of MkII's are CRF. When I got my push feed MKII I wrote to Ruger and asked if they would modify it to CRF and they declined.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Boomer, he shts on Ruger products any chance he gets.

Some folks get caught up on the investment casting, it has worked very well for Ruger for a very long time.

My first mk ll was $500 new, my second mk ll was $450 on sale.

Nowadays, my two used Hawkeyes were right at a grand a piece. I agree that prices for hunting rifles is a bit high.

Nothing I said isn't true. I've no problems with rugers. I shot my first deer with one, which I still own. However, you can't claim they are anything but a cheaply made clunky gun. At $500 they aren't bad. Anything over that is ridiculous.

You look at what they went for new back when the mk ll came out, and what a dollar is worth today, the inflation is just about on par.

My Hawkeyes are rugged, simple, accurate and built purdy darn well by hard working Americans. They're also chambered in some excellent cartridges that bare the Ruger name. The Hawkeye 77s are priced at about a week's worth of pay, still meeting Bill Ruger's original intent.

They could do a better job occasionally on final fit and finish. Hopefully they might offer a cust shop Ruger 77 someday.

I'd personally like new Mauser 98s, to replace my Ruger Hawkeyes. But at $12,000 a piece that wouldnt be a weeks worth of pay in my world.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't prefer CRFs. There, I said it.... LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I’ve used a couple Ruger Classics from McMillan and also a HighTech stock from Kevin Weaver on an older tang Safety 35 Whelen. I like the High Tech quite a lot and it’s very light.

High Tech from Weaver.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I’ve used a couple Ruger Classics from McMillan and also a HighTech stock from Kevin Weaver on an older tang Safety 35 Whelen. I like the High Tech quite a lot and it’s very light.

High Tech from Weaver.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That's a beautiful tanger Scotty.. Ruger 77's are really a working man's rifle. They are simple and functional and robust. Yours looks great. Probably a good shooter too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regarding synthetic stocks, my favorite Tanger wears a McMillan and a Lilja tube (7mmRM). It's a mid 1970's rifle that my mother gave to my dad when they were dating. I believe the stock is what McMillan calls the "R-pattern".

The pattern is very close duplicate of the original wood handle, as seen here on my .338WM Tanger. Some say these stocks hurt their shoulders, but they seem to fit me very well and handle recoil just fine.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not an H&S Precision, but a Brown Precision Kevlar is on my Mk ll 7mm-08. 7 pounds 2 ounces with a Shilen #1 taper barrel and a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 30mm. For a whitetail rifle, I knew that I wanted stainless and built that rifle up before the M70's were ss.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So the newer Hawkeyes are CRF?

Yes they are.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Early push feed MKII on the left, newer Hawkeye on the right.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics JPro

Oh yeah BSA, it’s a peach. My only issue was a weak firing pin spring. After addressing that it works darned good.

I’ll get a picture of the Ruger Classic on my 9.3 shortly

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Boomer, he shts on Ruger products any chance he gets.

Some folks get caught up on the investment casting, it has worked very well for Ruger for a very long time.

My first mk ll was $500 new, my second mk ll was $450 on sale.

Nowadays, my two used Hawkeyes were right at a grand a piece. I agree that prices for hunting rifles is a bit high.

Nothing I said isn't true. I've no problems with rugers. I shot my first deer with one, which I still own. However, you can't claim they are anything but a cheaply made clunky gun. At $500 they aren't bad. Anything over that is ridiculous.

You look at what they went for new back when the mk ll came out, and what a dollar is worth today, the inflation is just about on par.

My Hawkeyes are rugged, simple, accurate and built purdy darn well by hard working Americans. They're also chambered in some excellent cartridges that bare the Ruger name. The Hawkeye 77s are priced at about a week's worth of pay, still meeting Bill Ruger's original intent.

They could do a better job occasionally on final fit and finish. Hopefully they might offer a cust shop Ruger 77 someday.

I'd personally like new Mauser 98s, to replace my Ruger Hawkeyes. But at $12,000 a piece that wouldnt be a weeks worth of pay in my world.

A cheaply cast action that requires workers to beat the hell out of it with a brass mallet after casting isn't my idea of well made. The completely unfinished bolt races are not indicative of any sort of fit and finish. They are simply cheaply made, blocky, ugly, yet reliable guns.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,019
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.